Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free Pizza At Uno's Chicago Grill?!?!?!?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen A.

Ellen A.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

My husband and I came up with an idea. If you're interested in helping to see if we can use the power of the internet to convince Uno's Chicago Grill to add gluten free pizza to their menu, read on. Feel free to email others a link to this blog post, or copy and paste the text below into a new email message and send it to your gluten-free friends and family. Please note that I've posted the same message to various listserves. We'd like to see if this can make a difference!

"I can't keep up with the demand!", said Rick Fask, owner of Good For Life foods. This is what Rick told us when we visited the Boynton Restaurant in Worcester for fantastic gluten free pizza this past week. Upon returning home, feeling sated and quite happy, the taste of the pizza still lingering on our lips, we came up with a plan.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could eat really fantastic gluten-free pizza at over 300 national restaurants? Let’s make a huge group effort, let’s work together to attract the interest of Uno's Chicago Grill, a restaurant chain that knows pizza. Let’s vote with our feet and our wallets.

Why is Uno’s Chicago Grill our restaurant of choice?
1. We’ve heard that they might consider including gluten-free pizza on their menu.
2. Uno’s is ubiquitous, they’re everywhere.
3. They already know and sell pizza.
4. They already have a gluten-free menu.

If thousands of us contact Uno's Chicago Grill in the next few days and ask them to put gluten-free pizza on the menu, it might just become a reality!!! Can you imagine???!!! Oh, my mouth is doing a happy dance just thinking about it!

So, here's what we all need to do. Let's use the power of our voices and the internet to see if Uno's Chicago Grill will listen.

#1: Visit or call your local UNO'S CHICAGO GRILL and REQUEST TO SEE OR TALK TO THE MANAGER. Tell him/her that you would love to see gluten-free pizza added to their menu.

#2: Go to http://www.unos.com/contact.html and send a short email to Uno's Chicago Grill, asking them to add gluten-free pizza to their menu.

#3: Simple as pie. Pizza pie! Please do one or both as soon as possible – the timing is critical in order for this push to be successful. The more requests Uno's gets in a concentrated period of time, the more likely they'll listen! If we inundate them with our requests, our grass-roots efforts are sure to pay off!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zkat

zkat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Adding reply to bump-I would kill for a gluten-free pizza that I didn't make :P

I was in Phoenix this past winter and discovered Picazzo's. It was not long after I went gluten-free and it was heaven. I want to go back just for the pizza

Kat.

#3 UNCHeel

UNCHeel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:45 AM

Sent my request in.:)

#4 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:54 AM

I emailed them :D
~Betty

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

I really hope this happens!!! I emailed them too!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 wdwmaggie

wdwmaggie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

I emailed them...I really hope it works!! Good idea Ellen A.!
Maggie
--Diabetes for 12 years
--Celiac for 3 years
--Hypothryodism for 2 years
--Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome for 4 months

#7 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

I emailed them and sent out an email to my las vegas celiac yahoo group to do the same!

BB

#8 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

I emailed them and this is the response I got:

We are working on finding a great gluten free pizza. We absolutely know that their is a need for a gluten free pizza but we want to make sure that any pizza that carries the UNO name is an outstanding pizza.

Our Development Chef and his team is working on finding one and hopefully it will not be too much longer. Please know we are committed to giving all our customers the very best in food and we hope to include a gluten free pizza one day soon.

:lol: YEAH :lol:
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#9 nobeer4me

nobeer4me

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

I sent them an email! Wonder if there is any chance of getting some gluten free beer with that pizza? :rolleyes:

#10 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

I sent them an email! Wonder if there is any chance of getting some gluten free beer with that pizza? :rolleyes:

Probably. I got our local Outback Steakhouse to carry gluten free beer for us just by asking the ordering manager. She had it for us within a week and now they stock it regularly.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#11 Maureen73

Maureen73

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:36 AM

Just sent my e-mail. How fantastic would it be to have gluten-free pizza locally!! Here's to the power of the pen :) Great idea! Maureen
Maureen in Southern New Jersey
Diagnosed via bloodwork & biopsy in June 2005
Gluten free ever since!

#12 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:39 AM

I had the most horrendous experience at Pizzeria Uno 2 weeks ago. It is the only time I have ever had a problem in a restaurant. Actually let me rephrase that. It wasn't 1 problem, from the moment I walked in the door it was a disaster.

I asked 3 different people for a gluten free menu, all who looked at me like I had 6 heads. Ok feeling confident now. Luckily when we sat down our waitress (who was incredibly sweet) knew exactly what I was talking about and promptly got me a gluten free menu. At this point the manager had also come over because we wanted to let him know that not one of his hostess' knew what or where a gluten free menu existed. Keep in mind my family has restaurants, we have a gluten free menu and you can ask anyone from the cashier to the hostess, to the dishwasher for a gluten free menu and they all know exactly what it is and where to grab it.

We ordered a bbq pork appetizer to share and I ordered plain grilled chicken, with roasted vegetables and smashed cauliflower for my entree. The manager assured us that he would make sure our order was ok.

When the appetizer came out it had some tortilla chips around it. I know a lot of times in restaurants they throw the chips in the fryer real quick so I waited to eat anything until the waitress came over and I could ensure they had not been fried. She informed me they were baked so I happily picked one up and took a bite. That was until the manager followed right behind and said oh no, we fry those. Fabulous! So now I spit it into my napkin and ran to the bathroom to rinse out my mouth. Luckily I had only taken a bite of the chip and had barely even chewed yet, but ofcourse I now spent the rest of the meal and night worrying if I swallowed even the tiniest bit of it.

You would think it got better from there, but it didn't. They brought our food out shortly after and what do you know... mine had a ginormous bread stick sitting on the plate! At this point I was so frustrated I told them to just take my food away and they didn't need to make me a new meal, but the manager insisted on it. Just as everyone else at my table was done eating he arrived with my order that he personally stood and supervised as they made it.

In the end I did not get sick and I did get to eat; but it was truly the most disaterous experience I have had yet. If it had been 1 or 2 mistakes I think I would give them another try, but I'm not sure I'm going back to a Pizzeria Uno. Based on this I would EXTREMELY worried if they had gluten-free pizza that they would screw up and serve someone who is gluten free Regular pizza.

Sorry for the long post.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#13 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I agree, I would be worried. I ordered the same chicken entree. My meal arrived with a huge breadstick laying on top of the chicken. The waitress said Oh, is that gluten?!!

#14 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

I agree, I would be worried. I ordered the same chicken entree. My meal arrived with a huge breadstick laying on top of the chicken. The waitress said Oh, is that gluten?!!

Friday night, at uno, ordered bbq'd Shrimp (off the gluten free menu that the hostess didn't have a clue about when asked, but got the manager to find out about it) I was treated with a nice gluteny breadstick right on top of my broccoli :P

I did get sick, but not 100% sure from that. This was second attempt at eating out that day. First time, they didn't understand what "no crutons" meant.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#15 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

Y'know I was hoping that is was maybe just the location I went to that was so uneducated about their gluten free menu, but it looks like it's not.

It's nice that corporate wanted to jump on the gluten free bandwagon, but then they really need to educate their staff otherwise it does more harm than good (atleast for our intestines).

I originally didn't want to post my review on here because I didn't want to give them bad press when it seemed like they were trying to help; but I did call corporate and let them know about my experience. Hopefully they will train their staff better.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: