This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Communion Wafers!

Jess LeGrand

Jess LeGrand Newbie

Oh My...Can I take the communion wafer?

My alternative health Dr. tested me for food intolerances and I came back highest with Bakers and Brewers Yeast. Next was Gluten and Wheat...He said it didn't appear from my Ig-whatever the test is called, I forgot, that did NOT have Celiac disease.

Evidently I need to go further with some more testing...thinking it would be doable for me to not eat gluten...except I'M CATHOLIC. I just found out that IF one IS Celiac, it can be actually harmful to eat ANY gluten.

I'm concerned. What do I need to ask my Dr. to do next in order to get a complete picture AND...what about the amount in the communion wafer?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamabear Explorer

My alternative health Dr. tested me for food intolerances and I came back highest with Bakers and Brewers Yeast. Next was Gluten and Wheat...He said it didn't appear from my Ig-whatever the test is called, I forgot, that did NOT have Celiac disease.

Evidently I need to go further with some more testing...thinking it would be doable for me to not eat gluten...except I'M CATHOLIC. I just found out that IF one IS Celiac, it can be actually harmful to eat ANY gluten.

I'm concerned. What do I need to ask my Dr. to do next in order to get a complete picture AND...what about the amount in the communion wafer?

Thanks!

Well, I'm not Catholic, but I understand the standard wafer is wheat and therefore a problem to celiacs.

A member of the church has told me they can get a "gluten lite" wafer, but it still has gluten in it.

This creates a dilemna for Catholics......she also told me that they believe it HAS to be wheat for communion. My church is Presbyterian, and they will arrange a corn tortilla chip for me. When communion is done by intinction, an option is to get a blessing instead of taking communion. Unfortunately when I went ahead and took a regular communion wafer several years ago, it made me ill for several weeks. Maybe some Catholic members of the forum will weigh in.I wish you peace with whatever your own personal choice will be.

Eriella Explorer

This is normally not a problem. Talk to your priest outside of mass and you can do one of a few things, have your own host (like a corn chip or a piece of rice bread, it can be anything) blessed that you can receive after mass or you can only take the wine. The key with this is that the wine can't have any of the host in it, so see if that would be possible. Most priests are wonderful about it because they don't want you to be sick.

Jess LeGrand Newbie

Thank you for these responses. I have done a little research and it appears that these options are the standard. I can see where "taking the cup" would be suffice. What I really would like to know, is, is it possible that a little bit of gluten is ok? It appears from my research this evening, that there is really no test to tell. Safer to abstain all together...? Is that the general consensus? I tired to find info on Allergy/intolerance (ie Celiac) vs. sensitivity (which is what I'm told I have). Lingo...what does it all mean.

What is the best test, short of biopsy, to indicate the severity of ones condition.

Again, thanks and I hope that some Catholics will see this post.

I actually converted from Presbyterianism to Roman Catholicism ...and "traditional", at that. So, the concecration is key. In other words, a corn chip won't do. But, I did just read about the low gluten wafers. There are a lot of Celiacs out there if it's 1 out of every 130 (?). That's a lot of Traditional Catholics, just in this country (we number about 1 million).

JL

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hey Jess!

Here is a link to another thread about this recently......

Open Original Shared Link

I have had resentment issues for a long time over this and just recently got up the nerve to approach the priest about it. He turned out to be really cool about it!

Karen

Eriella Explorer
Thank you for these responses. I have done a little research and it appears that these options are the standard. I can see where "taking the cup" would be suffice. What I really would like to know, is, is it possible that a little bit of gluten is ok? It appears from my research this evening, that there is really no test to tell. Safer to abstain all together...? Is that the general consensus? I tired to find info on Allergy/intolerance (ie Celiac) vs. sensitivity (which is what I'm told I have). Lingo...what does it all mean.

What is the best test, short of biopsy, to indicate the severity of ones condition.

Again, thanks and I hope that some Catholics will see this post.

I actually converted from Presbyterianism to Roman Catholicism ...and "traditional", at that. So, the concecration is key. In other words, a corn chip won't do. But, I did just read about the low gluten wafers. There are a lot of Celiacs out there if it's 1 out of every 130 (?). That's a lot of Traditional Catholics, just in this country (we number about 1 million).

JL

Okay--- I am from a much more relaxed church where the priest realizes that communion wafers were not made until the modern era and will frequently use bread. For more traditional catholics I would use a gluten-free wafer. As far as trace amounts, you never know. You may little to no damage to your health and barely notice, or you might throw it right up on the priest (I don't recommend that one ;) ). I would see if you can get the gluten-free host, it seems to be the best alternative for you.

Nic Collaborator

This has been an ongoing battle with catholics because according to the Vadacin (I know I am not spelling that right, shows just how religous I am), the communion waffer has to contain wheat. As a matter of fact, if the first holy communion it given without a wheat waffer it will not be accepted as having been made at all. I have heard of some churches that allow the non wheat waffers but I believe they are not really following the church rules. I just registered my son for CCD through my church and asked what will happen in the case of the communion waffer (even though he won't make his communion for another 2 years), they said they will order a special waffer for him that only contains 0.01% wheat which they believe would be safe for a Celiac. They also said that if I am uncomfortable with him eating the entire waffer that he can just break off a small piece to eat. But as far as no wheat at all, it wouldn't be acceptable. I have my own feelings on this but I don't want to offend <_< >

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deesmith Apprentice

Hi,

To me gluten-free means no gluten ever again.

Just to add to what others have stated: According to the Celiac Center at Columbia University's "The Ulitmate Guide to Gluten-Free Living" the host in which there is less than 0.01% gluten is below what is considered gluten-free. These hosts can be obtained from the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, Altar Bread Department, 31970 State Highway P, Clyde, MO 64432. In case you want to mention any of this to your priest.

As others have mentioned, you can also just take from the wine. However, there is concern that is only one chalice is used, the host may be broken into/over the cup of wine. So you might want to be sure that the wine chalice is a totally separate chalice, to avoid cross-contamination.

good luck.

jmd3 Contributor

Thanks!

I am catholic

As I was in the hospital so much over the last 6 months....my church representative, or father was always coming in to visit and I was taking communion, not knowing that was adding to my illness, I kept taking it.

...and I have since talked to our priest, they said they would arrange me to be able to take that 1% wheat waffer - however, I can't even do that as my system reacts to event he smallest tennsy weensy fraction of a crumb...so I kneel and pray during communion. II am just glad that I am well enough right now to go to church! Besides, God is forgiving, and if you can't take it - he will understand. In fact it makes people wonder what I have done bad that I don't go up and get the blessing - ha ha.

I don't do the cup because I am afraid the some of the wheat waffer gets on the cup from others....or I get sick from someone that is sick in church that day, and since I have with celiac disease I get sicker than the average person..

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"In fact it makes people wonder what I have done bad that I don't go up and get the blessing"

Perhaps you could go up and get the blessing but not take the wafer. This might be possible if you talk to the priest first.

When I was a child I used to think the light headed kind of floating feeling I got from communion was a spiritual effect. I now recognize that feeling as one of the first signs I have been glutened.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Thanks!

Dear Jess LeGrand,

I did a search on Google. I found gluten-free communion wafers. However, they are not approved by the Catholic Church. If you talk to your preist, perhaps he would allow you to use your own wafers. I would recommend using a different chalice as well. Cross-contamination can make you very ill, especially if you are extremely sensitive.

For the record, just because blood work does not turn up, does not mean you do not have Celiac. I was told by my holistic physician that those tests can be very inaccurate. She has told me I am Celiac, because she has had a handful of patients who were ill and the blood tests showed nothing, but the diet caused improvement. I also have a typical Celiac history. I had digestive problems since birth. I had to be put on 2 percent milk at three weeks old because I spit up every formula they put me on! As I got older, asthma, anemia, stomach problems (GERD and IBS), gallbladder disease, and thyroid problems entered the picture. If you are Celiac, a trace of the stuff can damage your intestines. It is not worth the risk. God would not be angry with you for protecting your health. He is kind and merciful. You would think with as many Catholics as there are in Ireland, they would allow gluten-free communion wafers there to be accepted by the church. Ireland has the highest rate of Celiac disease. I am of Irish descent.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

lfij Newbie
Okay--- I am from a much more relaxed church where the priest realizes that communion wafers were not made until the modern era and will frequently use bread. For more traditional catholics I would use a gluten-free wafer. As far as trace amounts, you never know. You may little to no damage to your health and barely notice, or you might throw it right up on the priest (I don't recommend that one ;) ). I would see if you can get the gluten-free host, it seems to be the best alternative for you.

a more relaxed church? catholic? You do realize that it doesn't count if it is not an actual host, you may as well be swallowing tic tacs. At least, that's how one angry priest put it. however, it's also pretty stupid to ingest anything with gluten imo (the low gluten host), if you're religious, god knows, he made you this way, but, it also really doesn't "count" at all unless it is made of wheat. I'm sorry if that sounded a bit mean, i'm also catholic, and very conflicted, because as you all must know, it's really annoying having 2/3 of the mass centered around something you can't take part in! How have the rest of you handled this? How do you handle this with your celiac kids? i'm terrified i will have celiac kids and have to go through this with them as well, it's bad enough that we can't really fit in like everyone else, it stinks being excluded in church, right?

Nic Collaborator
a more relaxed church? catholic? You do realize that it doesn't count if it is not an actual host, you may as well be swallowing tic tacs. At least, that's how one angry priest put it. however, it's also pretty stupid to ingest anything with gluten imo (the low gluten host), if you're religious, god knows, he made you this way, but, it also really doesn't "count" at all unless it is made of wheat. I'm sorry if that sounded a bit mean, i'm also catholic, and very conflicted, because as you all must know, it's really annoying having 2/3 of the mass centered around something you can't take part in! How have the rest of you handled this? How do you handle this with your celiac kids? i'm terrified i will have celiac kids and have to go through this with them as well, it's bad enough that we can't really fit in like everyone else, it stinks being excluded in church, right?

I haven't had to worry about this because yet because my son is only starting his religious education in September and won't be making his communion until the Spring of the next year. But I plan to allow the host with the 0.01% wheat in it but I will speak to his GI first to see if he should eat the whole thing or only break off a piece as my church suggested some people with gluten problems do. They said that it would be acceptable by the church to only eat a piece.

Nicole

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I haven't had to worry about this because yet because my son is only starting his religious education in September and won't be making his communion until the Spring of the next year. But I plan to allow the host with the 0.01% wheat in it but I will speak to his GI first to see if he should eat the whole thing or only break off a piece as my church suggested some people with gluten problems do. They said that it would be acceptable by the church to only eat a piece.

Nicole

Nicole, I realize how important that sacrament is to a catholic, I was a very devot one for years. However if I could make a bit of an analogy here, if I sprayed your gluten-free bread with rat poison and then told you that you only needed to eat a bit of it every week would you still eat it? After all it will be years before you have injested enough to kill you.

If it were my child I would consider allowing him to make his first communion but after that I would not allow him to poison himself. God will understand, he is after all, according to the beliefs of the church the one who made you and made you celiac in the first place.

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Thanks!

Hi Jess,

First of all, you need to get proper testing for celiac and any other food allergies. Do not stop eating wheat if you want your celiac blood tests to be accurate. There is a genetic test available for celiac, as well, that is positive for about 95% of celiacs.

Contact the Celiac DIsease Center or look at their website to see what tests your doctor should really be ordering. There is so much misinformation out there about celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

Then my other question for you is HOW did your alternative practitioner test you for food intolerances? Many tests are inaccurate, and some just reflect leaky gut syndrome. e.g. I tested positive to 21 food allergies on scratch tests and more than 50 on IgE blood tests, but all of the foods I tested positive for were foods I had eaten in large quantity the few days before the test. Because I wasn't properly digesting foods, my body started to create an immune reaction to the undigested proteins, hence, an allergy. When I fixed the issues of the leaky gut, the food allergies and intolerances went away...except, of course, for gluten, since it's not an 'allergy'.

I wish you the best in your recovery/discovery.

Kathleen

gluten-free since Aug. 2003

Non-celiac gluten-intolerant (positive blood tests/negative genetic test) - diagnosed by Celiac Disease Center - extremely sensitive to even the tiniest amount of gluten.

Multiple food allergies (all have subsided with use of supplements to heal the 'gut')

Many prior health conditions (all gone now!) - including ovarian cysts, anemia, multiple bacterial and staph infections, neuropathy, carpal tunnel syndrome, low body temp, high c-reactive protein levels (sign of inflammation), mistakenly diagnosed as fibromyalgia at one time.

In great health now (as long as I avoid all gluten)....thinking about doing a triathlon!

Nic Collaborator
Nicole, I realize how important that sacrament is to a catholic, I was a very devot one for years. However if I could make a bit of an analogy here, if I sprayed your gluten-free bread with rat poison and then told you that you only needed to eat a bit of it every week would you still eat it? After all it will be years before you have injested enough to kill you.

If it were my child I would consider allowing him to make his first communion but after that I would not allow him to poison himself. God will understand, he is after all, according to the beliefs of the church the one who made you and made you celiac in the first place.

Hi, to be very honest I am probably the farthest thing from a devot catholic (not to put down those that are). We are not a church going family now and never have been. But, I do believe that as a parent I need to set a foundation for my children and I believe making the sacraments is important. So my son will receive the 0.01% wheat wafer for his first holy communion but after that he will not accept the host at all until he is old enough to make a decision on it for himself. If accepting the wine in its place is a option that that will be one to concider for the times he will be in church.

Nicole

bbuster Explorer

Nicole

My son receives this host, as do 3 adults that I know of. It works for us. We worked out the arrangements with the priest and the Mass coordinator.

CraigN Newbie

I've recently been diagnosed (by Enterolab) as having a gluten intolerance. During communion I use the hosts by the Benedictine Sisters from Clyde, MO. For the record, the host has to have at least some wheat in it to be considered valid. A quote from the Benedictine Sisters website read:

The Church
surrender Newbie

When Christ was breaking bread with the disciples, he didn't say, "Take this bread -which must have gluten in it- and eat." This rule comes from the political realm of the Catholic church, and it could potentially change with a change in papacy. Whether or not you have a gluten free host depends on your individual priest who may be Christ-like and want you to participate in the part of the mass which sets Catholics apart from other denominations or may be like the chief priests and scribes who put Christ to death because they didn't like that Christ didn't follow the letter of the law that they had set down.

Can you tell I'm a renegade Catholic?

Our priest is very down to earth and has no problem with the Ener-G gluten free hosts. However, I know from others in the community that the other three priests in the area would not go for it because they are such sticklers for the rules.

Good luck!!!! This is a tough decision to have to deal with.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Sort of off topic, but my mother is Methodist. Her minister is Celiac, and she does her communion every week with a gluten free cookie! My mom gets very jealous of her, she is stuck with cube of stale-ish bread, and the Minister gets a cookie!

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear SunnyDyRain,

I think that would be okay, too. I am actually Christian/Wiccan. During the rites, I do a type of witches' communion. The cakes and wine ceremony can really be anything you want. That is one good thing about my faith. Since I am a solitary practitioner, that definitely makes it easier. Incidentally, witches are not ugly old hags riding around on broomsticks and worshipping Satan. Most do not believe in him, but I was raised Christian and will always be a Christian. Charmed is probably the most accurate portrayal Wiccans have. Anyway, cookies and fruit juice may be used, even chips and dip. I think most preists would not want anyone to take the Sacrament at the risk of damaging their intestines or becoming ill.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Dear SunnyDyRain,

I think that would be okay, too. I am actually Christian/Wiccan. During the rites, I do a type of witches' communion. The cakes and wine ceremony can really be anything you want. That is one good thing about my faith. Since I am a solitary practitioner, that definitely makes it easier. Incidentally, witches are not ugly old hags riding around on broomsticks and worshipping Satan. Most do not believe in him, but I was raised Christian and will always be a Christian. Charmed is probably the most accurate portrayal Wiccans have. Anyway, cookies and fruit juice may be used, even chips and dip. I think most preists would not want anyone to take the Sacrament at the risk of damaging their intestines or becoming ill.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Hi Jin! You are our second Wiccan! Rusla is also Wiccan!

Karen

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi Jin! You are our second Wiccan! Rusla is also Wiccan!

Karen

Dear Karen,

Really? That is great! I wondered if I was all by myself! Yay! :) We actually have a number around here I did not know about until recently. We have 82 in our zipcode alone!

Sincerely,

Jin

Queen Serenity Newbie

Hi,

For all of you Catholics out there, here are some things you should remember:

1. NEVER take a host with gluten in it.

2. NEVER drink from the wine chalice, because of the broken bits of wafer in it.

3. ALWAYS voice you concerns with your priest, but don't get your hopes up with any understanding. Most of them

follow the rules.

4. Make peace with yourself. God will forgive you for not being a big part of the faith.

We have to accept the facts. Celiac's Disease NEVER goes away. This year I turned forty, and I feel very fortunate for having the opportunity to receive the host for all of the years I could. I have accpted that God is an understanding being, and that HE understands my not receiving the Body of Christ. I do feel very sorry for the children who will never get this opportunity. They are the one's truly left out in the cold. So, count yourself lucky you had this opportunity. Good Luck! :)

Vicki

G.F. for 11 and 1/2 years

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Dear SunnyDyRain,

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I've dabbled in Wiccan myself, I say dabbled because I don't feel "Wiccan" and I don't know a whole lot. I understand the Basics, I've atteneded a few Coven rituals, and tried a few rituals on my own, but I think i'm missing that "a ha!" moment that makes me feel like this is what I'm looking for. I actually feel alot like you, being raised Christian has ingrained so much into me, I can't just shut it off. I love the concepts, spirtiualty, freedom and the individuality of wicca, but still cling to the basics of christianity.

The first coven ritual I was involved with, we drank mead and ate banna nut muffins! (this was before I was dx'd). It was amazing!

Archived