This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prechopped Fruit Safe?

ReneCox

ReneCox Contributor

are the pre chopped fruit salads (usually grapes, watermelon,melon,pineapple) made at grocery stores safe? It says processed on shared equipment.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
are the pre chopped fruit salads (usually grapes, watermelon,melon,pineapple) made at grocery stores safe? It says processed on shared equipment.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it. I am sure I'd get sick if they used shared equipment.

I buy melons, pineapple and whatever else looks good and cut it up myself. I put the fruits in covered containers in the fridge and have them ready to go. I just did a pineapple this morning :D

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have bought the fruits you are talking about and had no problems, but there is always a chance.

lorka150 Collaborator

I wouldn't risk it either - the convenience isn't worth spending a few minutes to do it yourself. At my grocer, they prepare things in the same area with gluten containing foods.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I used to get my fruit at a small local market, whole and cut up. I also used to get a lot of 'mystery' glutening. Until the day I walked into the back and found the employees standing around the cutting block they use and utilizing it as a 'table' for their gluten filled lunches. I stopped buying my fruit and veggies there and then after having someone who was stocking the meat counter walk out and spit cracker crumbs all over the product while talking to me I no longer buy meat there either.

I now stick with the big stores that have everyone visible and that have a seperate place for employees to eat their meals other than in food production areas.

The Wegmans I shop at is great. They even moved the raw fish and shrimp out of the case with the 'stuffed' and 'breaded' fresh meats within a couple days of my saying something about the issue of CC to the guy behind the counter.

I trust them implicitly but still would not buy cut up fruit. I buy whole and wash it throughly, even if it has a rind, then cut it up myself.

gfp Enthusiast

For me I generally wouldn't risk it but if its an option of eating something or not then I probably would...

Anything on shared lines is pot luck in a way but if you only try that luck when you need to the risk is minimsed...

Dancypants Rookie

Simply rinse off the pre-cut fruit! I do it all the time when I'm on the road and want something different/nutritious to eat.

Yes, it does remove some of the flavor and vitamins...but I'd rather be safe than sorry with regard to cross-contamination. My friends laugh at me <shrugs>.

EAT YOUR FRUIT!!!

:)

Macy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ReneCox Contributor

thanks for they replys guys! Im trying to figure out why my bloating hasnt gone down yet. I read on a nother forum that many cooking nuts actually have flour on them but Ive never heard of that before...

NoGluGirl Contributor
thanks for they replys guys! Im trying to figure out why my bloating hasnt gone down yet. I read on a nother forum that many cooking nuts actually have flour on them but Ive never heard of that before...

Dear Rene,

It is scary what all they sneak gluten into! Nuts can have it. If you get any, I would go with Planter's. They are made by Kraft. If gluten is present, they will clearly list it on the label.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Juliebove Rising Star
Simply rinse off the pre-cut fruit! I do it all the time when I'm on the road and want something different/nutritious to eat.

Yes, it does remove some of the flavor and vitamins...but I'd rather be safe than sorry with regard to cross-contamination. My friends laugh at me <shrugs>.

EAT YOUR FRUIT!!!

:)

Macy

That's not necessarily going to remove all of the gluten. I say this after making my daughter sick from a hamburger patty that I rinsed off and reheated after it had been put on a bun. I got it to go and didn't realize it was on a bun until we got home. This was back when she was first diagnosed. Oh boy did she get sick!

Archived