This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carrabba's

nothing but nicole

nothing but nicole Apprentice

Ok, so a couple weekends ago I went to Carrabba's with a friend and they were awesome. The waiter told me what I needed to ask for prepared specially. My friend last night wanted Italian before we went out to the bar, Carrabba's is just down the street from the bar so I suggested we go there, figuring it would be a great experience like the last time. Well it wasnt, I gave all of my order to the waiter and even told him exactly how I needed everything made. When it gets to my table I dont really notice anything different from the last time about my $20 steak until I take a bite of it. They put their "grill baste" on it, I wasn't positive last night so I stopped at one bite and brought the rest home. When I woke up at four this morning to go to the bathroom (I didnt get home until after two) I knew for sure. So now I am stuck with this $20 Filet that I cannot eat and am highly dissappointed and slightly frustrated. I hate to complain at restaurants and really hate to get managers involved. I know that having Celiac automatically makes that need necessary but I still have a really hard time with it and am fairly embarrassed when a manager does come to my table. Now I dont know weather to complain or just suck it up and give the steak either to my sister's boyfriend or the dogs.. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

nbc,

That's a big disapointment all right. It's bad enough when you pay a good price for a meal and it's not very good. But to not be able to even eat it and knowing quite well it is probably very tasty. Super bummer.

I've always wanted to eat at Carrabas, but it seems to be closed on the occasions we are by one. They have limited hours.

BTW, what's in the "grill Baste" ?

best regards, lm

nbc,

That's a big disapointment all right. It's bad enough when you pay a good price for a meal and it's not very good. But to not be able to even eat it and knowing quite well it is probably very tasty. Super bummer.

I've always wanted to eat at Carrabas, but it seems to be closed on the occasions we are by one. They have limited hours.

BTW, what's in the "grill Baste" ?

best regards, lm

I guess it is just a rub they put on the steaks, I'm not sure but their gluten free menu says to ask for the grill items without it. I am not sure whats in it that makes us sick but my stomach has hurt all day! So when I did, I didnt get what i ordered.

That is strange that the location by you has limited hours, the one i went to was at almost ten last night, I was having a very late dinner.

larry mac Enthusiast
That is strange that the location by you has limited hours, the one i went to was at almost ten last night, I was having a very late dinner.

nbc,

Very limited day time hours I should have said. They are only open at night and every time we have been near one it has been daytime.

best regards, lm

azmom Newbie

You should call the manager and inform him of the situation. You don't need to "complain", but "inform" him/her in a nice way. This is especially important because if they are going to offer a gluten free menu, they are leading you to believe that it will be served gluten free. They need to know that their staff is not providing what they are selling. You will be doing them, as well as anyone else who is gluten intolerant, a big favor. Any professional manager will be glad you informed them.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I would go onto their website and contact the company. If you dont want to complain directly.. usually its just an email situation.. they might send you some gift certs for another dinner.

I have gotten cc quite a few times at carrabas.. I think they are just too busy around here to take proper care of the food the way we need it.. I tend to stay away now, I gave them 3 chances.. each time.. yucky.. but its a mad house at the one here, every nite.. so its crazy.. I put it to that..

I might just contact the company, part of me not complaining in restaurants is being young, having friends that work as waiters/waitresses and what they say they do to people's food that complain. I dont really know how much of it is true but I really just try not to send my food back at any point. It must have been my waiter the first time I went, he was seriously awesome, I had absolutely no problems the first time and they were busier the first time than they were the second. I really dont know how to sugar coat things either so when I do complain it can be rather harsh and when I worked in customer service I hated the way people treated me. I guess I just need to get used to talking to managers and being more assertive if I want to eat out. Thank you guys for kinda nudging me to do what I know I should have done in the first place.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

I think the menu does say to order without grill baste.

I think the menu does say to order without grill baste.

That's the thing is I ordered everything the way I should have. I dont ever eat salad dressing anymore so I ordered my salad with out dressing and croutons, my salad had dressing anyway so I didnt eat it. I also ordered my steak with out the grill baste, my vegetables with no sauces butters, cheeses etc and asked him to make sure all was prepared seperately and there was no bread products around my plate. I contacted the company today so we will see what their response is.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the manager of the Carrabba's that i went to and he told me that the waiters are told to ring in gluten free food differently so that the cooks know how it should be prepared. But they did send me a gift cert worth $45 to make up for the meal that I paid for and couldnt eat. I just hope when I go back they dont make me sick again!!

Archived