#1 ryeanddiet

ryeanddiet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:02 AM

Hello,
I'm back on gluten to prep for a biopsy. About two months in (and during a stressful period), I developed some sort of rash.
It came out on the back of neck up into my scalp, my front shoulders, tops of knees but mostly on my elbows and forearms.

When the spots first come out, they are itchy like a mosquito bite and turn into a big pink welt. After a couple of days, they form a blistery head but are not longer itchy. The blister stage lasts one-three weeks then eventually turn into a scab and dry out.

I have psorasis and exczema which don't come out like this - this is brand new.

I went to the dr last week and they were perplexed. Basically told me to use hydro-cortizone and come back if it gets worse or continues.

It's continuing but it's not like the pictures or stories I hear about dh. They aren't bright red spots, they aren't that bothersome, and they are fairly scattered (at most 6 on a forearm).
I haven't changed any detergents, soaps, etc. and don't typically get hives or any other form of rash or allergic reaction.

I think it's a far stretch but have to ask..anyone had anything similar??
thx.
jen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:05 AM

I haven't had that, but the next time one pops up, the derm could always biopsy it. That's how DH is dx'ed.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 bevo

bevo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:07 AM

Hi Jen,

I have only been 'diagnosed' by a couple of alternative therapists as having a wheat allergy and/or gluten intolerance along with dairy, legume/nut and other sensitivities. Can't really consider myself a celiac as my blood tests show to be at a subclinical level. I never had biopsies or the such, and since the only "western medicine' test I had didn't confirm a real diagnosis I never considered the severity of my situation.
Anyway, I had previously experienced very dry patches of skin, and more recently random red, itchy areas along my arms. I never did link this with my food intolerances. Similar to your symptoms, they were not very red or spotty (a mild red or pink color like a minor burn). They would disappear and reappear. Just a few days ago (when I know for certain I ingested wheat) I noticed a very itchy red area on the anterior region of my elbow, along with areas at the bottom sides of my neck. Funny thing is that there on exactly the same places on both arms and both sides of the neck! (need to research this more) I'm not sure what it is either. So, I can relate to you but can't help you out very much ! Sorry! :huh:

So, guess I'm asking others out there as well...does anyone know what this is?

Erica (aka Bevo)

#4 ponita

ponita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:03 AM

When I saw my dermatologist yesterday he mentioned one of the main charactorists with DH vs. hives is the "bilateral" appearance, which means the erruptoins are on both sides.
When I brake out that is how I appear, raised rash on both forearms, legs, and both sides of scape. It's like a mirror image.
The doctor did a biopsy so I'll know next week the exact make up of the rash to confirm or define the DH.

Melissa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: