This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wedding Cakes In France?

dh204

dh204 Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I've got a major humdinger:

I'm getting married at the end of July and I was hoping to be able to get a gluten-free wedding cake.

Unfortunately, I live in France.

I've done several google searches and haven't been able to find anything in France. The only places where there are special gluten free bakeries for such events are in the UK and the US and most of them won't deliver overseas.

I don't want to have to bake my own wedding cake, and I don't want to ask my future mother-in-law either - especially because she was the one who said we would need to order a wedding cake, then looked at me and was all, "Well, unfortunately, you won't be able to have any."

Does anyone know of any gluten free bakeries in France, or any ideas on how I can have a cake transported from overseas? My mother will be flying in for the wedding, so she has offered, if it is at all possible, to order a cake for me in the U.S. and bring it with her on the plane. The problem is that she is arriving 1 1/2 weeks before the wedding.

I should also point out that I live in Paris and the wedding will be in Paris and the surrounding area. There are about 20 guests invited.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast

Wow,

That's definately as tough one...

I'd have thought bringing one in Fresh is going to be really hard unless ypou did have any guests arriving the same day ?

Perhaps you could actually try some of the catering companies ? If your thinking of a buffet as well being gluten-free then you might be able to get them to find a pastry chef that would do one...

Alternatively I can also ask some of the professional chefs I know if any of them know a pastry chef that would be able to do it...

The hard part is actually someone with enough experience baking gluten-free.... since as we know most stuff for baking isn't as simple as using a gluten-free flour instead of regular...

Another option might be to find somewhere in Italy that can send it overnight delivery...

dh204 Apprentice

Hi gfp,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The thing is, we only picked the date at the beginning of this month, so we only have about 4 months time to get everything done, which is why we have invited only family, and why there are only about 20 guests.

We have decided to do a garden party at the in-laws house, with a buffet, but the in-laws are planning to cook more or less everything themselves. We are considering having a few prepared dishes, but it would be stuff like langoustines or other types of meat/seafood. I just don't trust the caterers here to ask for a gluten free cake - as it is, most people don't even know what I'm talking about!

However, I found a website for a baker in London who specializes in wedding cakes, and she will make gluten free cakes as well at no extra charge. The only problem here is the cost: either I can pick the smallest cake, which is 1-tier and serves 50 people for

DILIROTH Newbie

Just a thought - Could you try posting at your local bio store for a gluten-free baker?

Around Toulouse there are some stores that have individuals that do gluten-free cooking courses and maybe someone would also do baking? If you have a good one close by, maybe they might know of someone.

I wish you the best of luck!

Theresa

lfij Newbie
Hi gfp,

The thing is, we only picked the date at the beginning of this month, so we only have about 4 months time to get everything done, which is why we have invited only family, and why there are only about 20 guests.

We have decided to do a garden party at the in-laws house, with a buffet, but the in-laws are planning to cook more or less everything themselves. We are considering having a few prepared dishes, but it would be stuff like langoustines or other types of meat/seafood. I just don't trust the caterers here to ask for a gluten free cake - as it is, most people don't even know what I'm talking about!

However, I found a website for a baker in London who specializes in wedding cakes, and she will make gluten free cakes as well at no extra charge. The only problem here is the cost: either I can pick the smallest cake, which is 1-tier and serves 50 people for

dh204 Apprentice
nothing against your mother in law, but she clearly doesn't get it, it's not her darn wedding, and you deserve to be able to eat it, you're likely paying for it, it is one day not so unreasonable to make her eat something gluten-free without flowers on the darn cake. This is NOT her wedding. this is between you and your fiancee!!!!

Ugh I know, and I know she doesn't mean it to be mean or anything, but it is true that it has become a really big hassle. My fianc

Phyllis28 Apprentice

One alternative is to have two wedding cakes. A large gluten cake for the wedding guests and a small bride and groom gluten free cake that you make.

When I got married 25 years ago finding someone to make a gluten free wedding cake was not realistic. We had a gluten cake, which I did not touch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

Here's a thought...Make arrangements with a local baker (one that you could trust), you could have your mom bring gluten-free cake mixes with her and buy your own cake pans and bring everything to them. Or you could, again have your mom bring gluten-free cake mixes make the cake at your house, then bring to a cake decorator to have it frosted.

There are some really good cake mixes out there now a days. If she can't find one locally order it online and have them delivered.

gfp Enthusiast
Hi gfp,

dh204 Apprentice

You guys! Thank you so much for all your ideas, suggestions, and most importantly your support! I was just feeling so upset about it last night, because I felt like everyone else thought I was purposefully being difficult about it! Gfp, thanks for the Italy idea - I don't speak Italian, but the in-laws are very upset about me wanting to order a cake from overseas; they were all like "t'es gonfl

gfp Enthusiast
You guys! Thank you so much for all your ideas, suggestions, and most importantly your support! I was just feeling so upset about it last night, because I felt like everyone else thought I was purposefully being difficult about it! Gfp, thanks for the Italy idea - I don't speak Italian, but the in-laws are very upset about me wanting to order a cake from overseas; they were all like "t'es gonfl
Michi8 Contributor

Just another idea to throw in... Have you considered having a "fake" wedding cake for the official cake cutting photos and then having a separate, simple gluten free cake that is served to guests? I've seen it done at weddings here...essentially an elaborately decorated fake cake is rented from a bakery. Instead of cake, you could also choose to serve an entirely different type of dessert to the guests that is naturally gluten free.

One wedding I went to, bride and groom had an enormous "cake" made of profiteroles (called a croquembouche), and each guest was served a couple of those. For my wedding, in addition to a traditional cake, I had a Norwegian cake (Open Original Shared Link) and Ukrainian wedding bread.

The sky really is the limit...you have the option of creating something really unique & memorable that is gluten free...just need a bit of imagination.

Michelle

dh204 Apprentice

Hey everyone!

Well, gfp, the Frenchies are flat out refusing to get a cake from another country - too much trouble and too much cost - plus, I think they are taking it as a personal insult. They are really upset about the idea of getting a cake outside of France and are determined to find a solution here.

Anyway, so I made several phone calls again - most places insisted they would be unable to do a gluten free cake at all, because "isn't that that stuff that's in EVERYTHING?" I even called a few organic catering companies but none of them were able to provide any references for a gluten free cake. I did find the phone number of a bio catering company that supposedly does wedding cakes as well (not sure if this is true at all or not) and it says on their website that they will adjust the dishes for special diets, such as "gluten-free, low-sodium, dairy-free". Unfortunately, every time I call, no one answers.

I also called Ladur

gfp Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

Well, gfp, the Frenchies are flat out refusing to get a cake from another country - too much trouble and too much cost - plus, I think they are taking it as a personal insult. They are really upset about the idea of getting a cake outside of France and are determined to find a solution here.

Anyway, so I made several phone calls again - most places insisted they would be unable to do a gluten free cake at all, because "isn't that that stuff that's in EVERYTHING?" I even called a few organic catering companies but none of them were able to provide any references for a gluten free cake. I did find the phone number of a bio catering company that supposedly does wedding cakes as well (not sure if this is true at all or not) and it says on their website that they will adjust the dishes for special diets, such as "gluten-free, low-sodium, dairy-free". Unfortunately, every time I call, no one answers.

I also called Ladur

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi,

If you are considering making a gluten-free Wedding Cake here is a recipe I posted on the Irish Coeliac Site

for another bride to-be.

The sources/ manufactures of ingredients in brackets are to Satisfy the Coeliac Society criteria that all ingredients are vetted and guaranteed free from cross-contamination, you don't necessarily have to abide with them.

Open Original Shared Link

Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,

David

• 4 weeks later...
tzu Newbie

Hello,

I just happened to see your message about your desire for a gluten free wedding cake, in Paris. I have worked for a bakery in the US for 3 years, and have made many cakes--including gluten free. I am coming to Paris for 3 months, and may be able to help you. If you are interested in discussing this further, please let me know. I can send you pictures of the cakes I've done, and talk to you about your needs. Please respond asap because I am leaving in only 1 week...

Thanks

dh204 Apprentice

Hey everyone,

Thanks again for all the info and advice. I think the problem has been resolved for now:

My mother-in-law made an appointment to meet with a baker in Fontainebleau (near their house) who is supposed to be a very prestigious and famous baker, or so I hear. His name is Fr

Archived