This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Other People's Comments Bother You?

NWLAX36Mom

kbtoyssni Contributor

I think most people are just curious about the diet and surprised by what you can and cannot eat. Yes, there are some that just don't care and are being hurtful, but I don't think this is the case with most. I don't mind questions - I look at it as a way to educate about celiac and how my life is not over and I can eat "normal" food like everyone else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

prinsessa Contributor

The negative comments used to bother me. Like when my BIL said that gluten intolerance was all in my head. Now I don't let any comments bother me. Most people are really interested. DS's teacher is really good. She always asks me if he can eat something even if it seems like something that doesn't have gluten (like sunflower seeds....which did have wheat starch in them). I bring his snacks everyday and she explained to all the kids why he is eating something different. I rather people ask what might seem like strange questions (to people who are used to gluten intolerance) then just assume anything.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I'm only recently gluten-free and my sister thinks it's a fad diet. She planned my birthday meal of pizza and cake and told me I could eat one of those Amy's pizzas. Well, the two Gluten-free varieties are spinach and cheese which both sound kind of grody to me. I think it's kind of like me taking her (a vegetarian) to a steak house for her birthday and telling her she can eat the french fries!

Ok that is flat out obnoxious. Now that I would be offended at.

As far as people making comments, like most people have said, I'm not offended at all. I take it as they want to learn about it, which I think is really nice. My husband's family on the other hand are the densest people I have ever met when it comes to this. And no matter how many times I explain what I can't have, and how many holidays I attend they just don't get it and make all sorts of retarded comments, and conclusions as to what I can't eat. (This past Easter his aunt, said oh you can't have the cheese on the manicotti?... Seriously!! How many times have we been over this). But I just laugh about it. You can't fix stupid.

If people want to have negative thoughts about me because I am taking care of my health and my body, oh well.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
I guess it wouldn't have bothered me if it sounded like he was surprised at what I was eating or being inquisitive. But the way he said it, I felt more like he was accusing me of doing something I shouldn't.

I think I'll give him another test. I'll try eating a bagel in front of him sometime soon and see if he says anything. I'll be sure to listen to his tone, etc. and see if I was wrong!

BTW, I also think it is interesting when people say things like, "Oh, you are being so good, you are not eating a bun with your burger". Well that would be nice! Anyway, I really don't feel like explaining it to everyone or making a big deal out of it so I just let that type of comment go.

I had an interesting experience, I was a conference the last few days, and had lots of snack foods with me. Several people noticed I was eating the offered food. Some clearly noticed, but didn't comment. A few asked if I had "allergies". One had a celiac relative and noticed the gluten free labeling on something. Nobody seemed upset, or suprised, or really seemed to "care" beyond curiosity.

Geoff

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

Funny story.

My wife's family is Vietnamese/Chinese. Mom and Grandma and some of the Aunts (it's a BIG family) know about my diet. The big thing I have to watch for when eating with them is Soy Sauce (not with immediate family, but at gatherings). I guess that because of all the times it's asked (in chinese or Vietnamese), "Does this have Soy Sauce?" one of Kim's Uncles thought it was Soy Sauce I was "allergic" too. He got really confused when I turned down Birthday Cake. He said" There's no Soy Sauce in cake!"

Kim's mom explained it to him!

par18 Apprentice

My alltime favorite and it has happened more than once is when I told people how much weight I had lost before the Dx (unlike them I was not overweight to start with) they replied "maybe I should get it so I can lose some weight". My response to one of them was it would be easier to just put a piece of duct tape over your mouth when you feel the urge to eat something and it would be just as effective. Not to mention it would also save all those unecessary trips to the bathroom. As you might expect all I received in response was the classic "puzzled look". I really think the person was too stupid to be offended.

Tom

mamatide Enthusiast
I had someone say "it is too bad you have read every label before you buy anything."

Usually when I pick up something (at a party or someone's house) people assume I'm checking the fat content!

Whatever. No one should have to apologize for looking at the label - IMO more people SHOULD be looking at what's in the food they eat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chocolatelover Contributor

Tom, I have to remember that one!! It's great--I actually laughed out loud!

Mamatide--I agree 1000%--more people should not only be looking at what they're eating, but probably not eating most of it anyway!

My favorite is my MIL, who baked a loaf of bread with the plastic wrap on. I was letting it rise and asked her to put it in oven for me while I was out for a run. She didn't take the plastic off the bread because she thought that not having gluten in it made it different than regular bread. Like it's ok to bake plastic into it just because it doesn't have gluten?? :blink:

mamatide Enthusiast
Mamatide--I agree 1000%

Thanks!

LOL about the plastic on the loaf - I usually use a towel to cover my bread - does plastic work better (aside from the well-meaning but clueless relatives of course!?)

brendygirl Community Regular

I brought my own lunch to work while "they" had a pot luck and this lady looks at what I'm eating and says LOUDLY, "OH COME ON!! YOU can't eat ANYTHING??? What about that SOUP (pointing, dramatically with her whole arm so everyone looks)???!!

I said, I cannot have broth, bullion cubes have binders that contain gluten.

Even the salad had those crunchy Asian noodle things on it, so that was a NO, too.

In fact, the only thing I could have eaten were grapes-- if I trusted that gluteny fingers hadn't contaminated them.

AND NO, I DON'T think she was concerned or curious, even tho her husband's a pastor and you'd think she'd have compassion!

HawkFire Explorer

I believe the diet seems so restrictive at first that all who hear of it are wondering what it is a celiac will end up being able to eat. I think it is wonderful that your boss took an interest in your food. It shows he remembered your health issue. He's curious. That's a good thing.

cmom Contributor

I admit I feel ashamed when people who are actually concerned about me ask me to explain what I cannot eat. Then they want to know what I am able to consume. Since going gluten-free, I have gained 20+ pounds and I can see where it does look a little suspicious if I can't eat alot of foods but am still overweight. I feel like a hypocrite b/c I should be much thinner since I am doing without so much. :rolleyes:

Archived