36 replies to this topic

#31 par18

par18

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

My alltime favorite and it has happened more than once is when I told people how much weight I had lost before the Dx (unlike them I was not overweight to start with) they replied "maybe I should get it so I can lose some weight". My response to one of them was it would be easier to just put a piece of duct tape over your mouth when you feel the urge to eat something and it would be just as effective. Not to mention it would also save all those unecessary trips to the bathroom. As you might expect all I received in response was the classic "puzzled look". I really think the person was too stupid to be offended.

Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

I had someone say "it is too bad you have read every label before you buy anything."

Usually when I pick up something (at a party or someone's house) people assume I'm checking the fat content!

Whatever. No one should have to apologize for looking at the label - IMO more people SHOULD be looking at what's in the food they eat!

#33 chocolatelover

chocolatelover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

Tom, I have to remember that one!! It's great--I actually laughed out loud!

Mamatide--I agree 1000%--more people should not only be looking at what they're eating, but probably not eating most of it anyway!

My favorite is my MIL, who baked a loaf of bread with the plastic wrap on. I was letting it rise and asked her to put it in oven for me while I was out for a run. She didn't take the plastic off the bread because she thought that not having gluten in it made it different than regular bread. Like it's ok to bake plastic into it just because it doesn't have gluten?? :blink:
Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07
Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8
Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy
gluten-free 3/7/07

#34 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Mamatide--I agree 1000%

Thanks!

LOL about the plastic on the loaf - I usually use a towel to cover my bread - does plastic work better (aside from the well-meaning but clueless relatives of course!?)

#35 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

I brought my own lunch to work while "they" had a pot luck and this lady looks at what I'm eating and says LOUDLY, "OH COME ON!! YOU can't eat ANYTHING??? What about that SOUP (pointing, dramatically with her whole arm so everyone looks)???!!
I said, I cannot have broth, bullion cubes have binders that contain gluten.
Even the salad had those crunchy Asian noodle things on it, so that was a NO, too.
In fact, the only thing I could have eaten were grapes-- if I trusted that gluteny fingers hadn't contaminated them.

AND NO, I DON'T think she was concerned or curious, even tho her husband's a pastor and you'd think she'd have compassion!

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#36 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

I believe the diet seems so restrictive at first that all who hear of it are wondering what it is a celiac will end up being able to eat. I think it is wonderful that your boss took an interest in your food. It shows he remembered your health issue. He's curious. That's a good thing.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#37 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

I admit I feel ashamed when people who are actually concerned about me ask me to explain what I cannot eat. Then they want to know what I am able to consume. Since going gluten-free, I have gained 20+ pounds and I can see where it does look a little suspicious if I can't eat alot of foods but am still overweight. I feel like a hypocrite b/c I should be much thinner since I am doing without so much. :rolleyes:
Robin from Indiana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: