#1 Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:53 PM

Hi Gang,
I baked some wheat-free pumpkin muffins for my four year old son on the weekend, and added some No Name pre-packaged Sultana Raisins. I used Stokely's canned pumpkin, and Club House brand pumpkin pie spice, which I believe is made by McCormicks and therefore gluten free?
The rest of the ingredients are ones that I use in his banana muffins, which he never reacts to. I've noticed he'll eat about half the pumpkin muffin before handing it off to someone else to finish. He never does this with the banana muffins I make him. However, whenever he starts eating something that could have undeclared wheat in them, such as potatoe chips that may be contaminated from having been run on the same lines as wheat-containing ones, he takes a chip or two before announcing that he can't eat them. Wheat foods irritate his tongue almost immediately.
Tonight his ears are scarlet red, like after he eats wheat, and he is a bit whiny, which is also another of his numerous symptoms.
We live in Canada, in case any of the products may be known to be different here than in the States.
I am trying to figure out what may have caused his possible reaction today, and suspect the pumpkin muffins. Any thoughts to confirm or disprove this theory?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

hi terri anne :) sounds like he must have gotten gluten somehow--it may just be the pumpkin pie spice, maybe the raisins--i have used at least 2 different kinds of raisins and not had a reaction, but that doesnt mean it's not possible--for everyone's information here, i buy a brand of raisins called "Rosendahl Farms" and they are very nice--it's a fancy mix of raisins grown in california--there isnt a website listed on the product and the only place i have seen them is here in a meijers store, but they have to be other places--they are wonderful in muffins---maybe he has an allergy to some other flours too, i cant have soy--i hope you figure this out :blink: sorry i dont have an answer--deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: