This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free, Soy Free Cocoa Powder

zkat

zkat Apprentice

I use cocoa powder a lot for my chocolate fix. I am soy intolerant and cannot tolerate soy lectin, so Giradeli's is out. I cannot figure out if Hershey's or Nestle's is both Soy Free and Gluten Free. Does anyone know this information for me?

Thank you so much!

Kat

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

If you use just cocoa powder, it shouldn't have gluten or soy in it. Read the ingredients. My no-name cocoa has just cocoa powder and salt in it (and it says, may contain traces of milk, don't know why).

On the other hand, if you really mean instant hot chocolate (or chocolate milk), that is another matter entirely.

If you want to be sure, call the companies.

tarnalberry Community Regular

unsweetened cocoa powder doesn't have soy (soy lecithin is used for making solid chocolate to emulsify the 'liquid'). there are dark chocolates available, also, that don't have chocolate - theo, michael cluizel, chocolate bonnat, to name a few.

Juliebove Rising Star

Plain cocoa powder should be gluten and soy free. You can also get unsweetened "raw" cocoa nibs or beans from the health food store that are gluten and soy free. If you have a Magic Bullet, you can grind these into your own powder.

Enjoy Life makes chocolate chips that are both gluten and soy free. They're very good. You can melt them down and make them into bars and other candies if you get molds.

zkat Apprentice

I am talking about cocoa powder and not hot chocolate mix. I make my own hot chocolate and chocolate almond milk from the cocoa. There have been 3 different brands that I have looked at lately that all had Soy or Gluten warnings on the back. I have tried the nibs, but I have a hard time grinding them up for my drinks.

Thank you so much for all the info.

kat.

I am talking about cocoa powder and not hot chocolate mix. I make my own hot chocolate and chocolate almond milk from the cocoa. There have been 3 different brands that I have looked at lately that all had Soy or Gluten warnings on the back.

when you say "soy or gluten warnings", what do you mean? the ghirardelli cocoa powder doesn't have soy as an ingredient, but is produced in a factory that uses soy, so they'll have a trace warning (but only on Open Original Shared Link), but it's not one I'd think twice about being worried over, unless you've got a horrendously severe anaphylactic allergy. and it doesn't include gluten at all.

(I do the same thing to make hot chocolate. I presume you make your own almond milk then?)

zkat Apprentice
when you say "soy or gluten warnings", what do you mean? the ghirardelli cocoa powder doesn't have soy as an ingredient, but is produced in a factory that uses soy, so they'll have a trace warning (but only on Open Original Shared Link), but it's not one I'd think twice about being worried over, unless you've got a horrendously severe anaphylactic allergy. and it doesn't include gluten at all.

(I do the same thing to make hot chocolate. I presume you make your own almond milk then?)

I reacted terribly to the Giradali's. My reaction to soy is not anaphylactic, but it is severe. The can of cocoa powder had the warning and said "may contain soy"

On the Almond milk, I buy Pacific foods almond milk. It is very good and glad I found it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wheatlessAK Rookie

Sorry, I don't know about the Hershy's or Nestle's, but, Dagoba is gluten free and according to their website no soy is added to the cacao powder.

the reason I asked about the soy milk was that virtually all of them have at least soy lecithin. I take it pacific doesn't have any then? that's good to know! :)

zkat Apprentice

It is good, but hard to find. The only place I have been able to find it is Whole Foods. I don't know where you live, but there is not a Wild Oats or Trader Joes near me, so those options are out for me.

Archived