19 replies to this topic

#1 T-Bird

T-Bird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

My husband is currently in alot of pain, the last thing he ate was an orange. He says he has never been able to eat ornages because they burn his stomach, even before we found out about gluten-free. He's only two months into the gluten-free diet. Also, he has had 3 tablespoons of pepto and still suffering. Could just an orange bother him that bad? He was just fine before he ate it. What should he do besides pepto?

Thanks,
Tabatha

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BritChick

BritChick

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

My husband is currently in alot of pain, the last thing he ate was an orange. He says he has never been able to eat ornages because they burn his stomach, even before we found out about gluten-free. He's only two months into the gluten-free diet. Also, he has had 3 tablespoons of pepto and still suffering. Could just an orange bother him that bad? He was just fine before he ate it. What should he do besides pepto?

Thanks,
Tabatha

Tabatha, I'm new to the site, but before I knew I had issues with wheat/gluten, I could not eat oranges. In fact they would make me throw up. I believe my insides were in such a terrible state due to the wheat/gluten that my poor tummy could not handle the acid from the oranges. I've been wheat free for 3 years now and can eat oranges without a problem. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions to help relieve your poor hubby's current symptoms. Hope he feels better soon.

Joanna

Sick & Undiagnosed from 1998 - 2003

Gluten Free since 2003

Diagnosed with Gastroparesis in 2009

Pescatarian (no meat) diet since 2009

#3 T-Bird

T-Bird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

Tabatha, I'm new to the site, but before I knew I had issues with wheat/gluten, I could not eat oranges. In fact they would make me throw up. I believe my insides were in such a terrible state due to the wheat/gluten that my poor tummy could not handle the acid from the oranges. I've been wheat free for 3 years now and can eat oranges without a problem. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions to help relieve your poor hubby's current symptoms. Hope he feels better soon.

Hey BritChick, thanks for responding. He just came to tell be he feels so, so bad and that he is just going to bed. I'm his "food supplier" another words, NO food goes into his body without me knowing it , he has been relying on me these past 2 months from researching, shopping and cooking/preparing his meals. I told him he could eat that orange and I'm sad for him, but we don't blame me or him, who knew that fruit would affect him so badly.

#4 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

Thanks,
Tabatha

tb,

Pepto-Bismol always made my stomach hurt, even when I was a little kid. I would recommend Tums or something similar.

May sound like a dumb question, but why did he eat an orange if he's never been able to eat oranges?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#5 T-Bird

T-Bird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

[quote name='larry mac' date='Apr 26 2007, 10:06 PM' post='295690']
tb,

Pepto-Bismol always made my stomach hurt, even when I was a little kid. I would recommend Tums or something similar.

May sound like a dumb question, but why did he eat an orange if he's never been able to eat oranges?

When he asked "can I have oranges", I was thinking they are fruit and shouldn't have gluten in them so yes you can have oranges. He probably thought, why would they hurt my tummy since gluten was the problem for the years.

Can he take rolaids instead of tums? Also, can he take rolaids after the pepto?

Sincerely,
Tabatha

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

tb,

I'm hesitant to offer medical advise now that he's already taken something and is in pain. If we were talking about me it would be different. I think I would want to eat something to help get rid of the Pepto Bismol and orange. Milk ?, gluten-free bread ? I would probably take some rolaids (but I don't have any to read the ingredients to check for gluten-free).

Tums/ Rolaids are antacids (calcium carbonate), that's what you need for the orange. Bepto bismol is an antidiarrheal/ upset stomach reliever (bismuth subsalicylate), for if you feel like throwing up. An alternative to tums/rolaids would be Malox liquid. It's an antacid/anti-gas (aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone (for gas)).

I'd ask my wife (she's a nurse) but she's already in bed asleep and gets up at 4:45.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#7 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

I always heard that Tums had gluten? :blink: I just looked up their website FAQ http://www.tums.com/..._contents.asp#4 and this what it says -

Does TUMSŪ contain gluten?

Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMSŪ, there may be trace amounts of gluten in the tablets via ingredients that are supplied by outside vendors.

Not sure about the Rolaids. I wasn't able to find any information. Maybe someone has some info or experience.

When I first went gluten-free, I had problems with all sorts of food. I still can't eat more that a couple pieces of apple at a time. It's still hard for me to digest. So even the most benign sounding foods can cause problems for a while.

Nancyc
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#8 T-Bird

T-Bird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

I always heard that Tums had gluten? :blink: I just looked up their website FAQ http://www.tums.com/..._contents.asp#4 and this what it says -

Does TUMSŪ contain gluten?

Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMSŪ, there may be trace amounts of gluten in the tablets via ingredients that are supplied by outside vendors.

Not sure about the Rolaids. I wasn't able to find any information. Maybe someone has some info or experience.

When I first went gluten-free, I had problems with all sorts of food. I still can't eat more that a couple pieces of apple at a time. It's still hard for me to digest. So even the most benign sounding foods can cause problems for a while.

Nancyc

We don't have Tums in the house, but he has rolaids. I'd suggest it to him, but I just went to check on him and he is asleep, which is good, I kinda think he is not suffering if he's sleeping. Thanks so much for response. Everyone here is so giving of there time and aknowledge.

Thanks, Tabatha

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Oranges have never bothered me, and I eat them constantly. But some people are allergic, and some people just can't tolerate foods that acidic. He should listen to his body.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

Oranges and other acidic fruits cause my intersticial cystitis to flare and give me mouth sores. It is probably the acid that is bothering him. I take prelief to neutralize acid in foods. I take this with all foods, but never touch oranges or tomatoes.

#11 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

Oranges are high in salicylic acid, which I am highly intolerant to. After stopping all food high in salicylates for several months, I gave in to a craving and ate ONE orange, and the next day I felt like I was on fire.

So, his intolerance may not be to oranges per se, but something in the oranges. He probably shouldn't be eating grapefruits or lemons, either. Limes in moderation are ok for me, as they have a much lower concentration of salicylic acid.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

um,

The number and variety of intolerances, allergies, and health issues represented on the forum is just mind-boggling.

Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, so I guess that's out for you. We haven't taken aspirin for at least a decade anyway. Ibuprofen and Acetaminifin have replaced it (at least for us).

I used to occasionally take a BC powder (also Goodies, Goody Goody ?) when I needed something really special. Among numerous things, it actually contains salicylic acid. And caffeine, which paradoxically relaxes the blood vessels in the brain. Headaches are caused by, or a symptom of, constricted brain blood vessels.

I don't eat fruit, save an occasional banana, but drink a margarita almost every day. Fresh squeezed limes, lemons, and those small, very mild, sweet Texas oranges. If anyone is just mildly sensitive to regular oranges, they just might be the ticket for them. They really almost don't taste like oranges, but are very good. I've seen them called Valencia oranges at the store, but am not sure if that is accurate or not. They occasionally tend to be kind of unsightly, with dark splotches. They're not always perfect, like navel oranges. That's probably why they're not marketed more.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

#13 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

i cant eat oranges cause of my ulcer. Does your hubby have an ulcer?

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#14 PainPill

PainPill

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

T-Birds the best, she's calling out the calvary on Monday I think. Tests, yuck, but now I have no choice. A simple orange caused tremendous pain for about 8 hours on Thursday, and today I still feel bad but it just comes and goes now. Burning, in the upper left hand side of my abdomen :o Ulcers, ACK.. I sure hope not, and thanks to all for helping us select my OTC medicines.

#15 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

I don't have any problems with oranges. Maybe the acid bothers him. I have a friend who cannot eat oranges because the acid makes her sick.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: