5 replies to this topic

#1 UNCHeel

UNCHeel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

OK this is really out of left field but last week was the first time in my life that I didn't get sharp pains in my back when my airplane got into a bit of rumble and tumble and it's the first time I've flown since going gluten-free in Feb. I evenn the Pirate Ship ride when I was 10 and came of bawling b/c of the pain. It's gone now but I am just really curious how the gluten caused something so insane?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

Who knows? Not much surprizes me anymore. Gluten really does a number on our bodies!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

The last three years of my undiagnosed days (18 years total) I developed sharp, shooting, shock-like pains in my back and hips. Any unexpected movement just killed me. No idea why that is, but I've heard other people mention it too. The only time I get it now is if I'm glutened.

If you know your genetic type, I'd be interested to know if you have DQ1, especially DQ1, subtype 6. Pain seems to be more common with DQ1.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

The last three years of my undiagnosed days (18 years total) I developed sharp, shooting, shock-like pains in my back and hips. Any unexpected movement just killed me. No idea why that is, but I've heard other people mention it too. The only time I get it now is if I'm glutened.

If you know your genetic type, I'd be interested to know if you have DQ1, especially DQ1, subtype 6. Pain seems to be more common with DQ1.

Nancy

Hi.
I, too, get sharp often excruciating pain in my left hip and lower back (also joint pain) when glutened. Besides all the neat GI symptoms... I am double DQ1, subtypes 5 and 6... Tra la. Hope you feel better!

lisa

#5 UNCHeel

UNCHeel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing everyone!!! I'll let you know when I get the genetic test what it says I am. So far I've just done the blood test and endoscopy. Which brings up another question...has anyone heard of anyone testing positive on both of those but neg on the gene thing?

#6 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for sharing everyone!!! I'll let you know when I get the genetic test what it says I am. So far I've just done the blood test and endoscopy. Which brings up another question...has anyone heard of anyone testing positive on both of those but neg on the gene thing?

I've never heard of anyone testing negative for at least gluten intolerant genes actually. They say that most people carry at least the gluten intolerant genes (it's just that not everyone develops the intolerance).

But then again, people don't go around investigating these symptoms if they're not having serious problems. You don't come across celiac disease on a whim. So someone with no issues wouldn't have a reason to get enterolab testing.

I'd love to see someone with no symptoms, GI or otherwise, get enterolab testing just to see if the genes show up for them. But I don't know a single person that doesn't have at least some type of possible symptoms.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: