2 replies to this topic

#1 firegirl7071

firegirl7071

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:11 PM

My 4 year old son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with Celiacs. In addition, he was also diagnosed with physical delays and speech/language delays. He is receiving physical and speech therapy through his preschool. Everything is going great and he is making great strides with therapy. The only problem we seem to have is potty training him. We started the process in January, 2004, He will urniate on the toilet when we take him. He has gone maybe three or four times on his own without any encouragement. At the beginning of the school year, he went poop on the toilet for one week then he stopped. I have tried every trick in the book. He will not do it. I am at a loss.

If anyone has any ideas of why he might be doing this, I am open. I am beginning to think he may have some other disorder as well.

Please Help.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bonnieo

bonnieo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:35 PM

Talk to your son's pediatrician. This is especially important if your son withholds his stool (if he has a bowel movement in a diaper on a regular basis, I'd say it's developmental). The doctor should talk to you about increasing fiber (foods or supplements), fluids, timed toilet sitting after meals, and possibly medication to soften the stool (e.g., Miralax). Also it may help your son to explain what poop is and where it comes from.

Good luck!!

#3 jsib

jsib

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:38 AM

Been stressing over this on too. My son is 3 1/2 .I now realise it was probably too hard to potty train with loose stool diahrrea. Now that they are better my son says he is not ready to potty train. I noticed if we do not say anything he does it on his own a few times. Its a emotional control thing right now. The one thing he has control over is his body.He can't control his diet and other things. It must be even harder for your son; With his therapy he is working hard and maybe he is afraid of the change as he is learning to be independant in other ways.
A Nurse and my son's preschool teacher said not to worry right now it just might be too stressful. He is doing better in so many ways. Its hard not to react and get frustrated but he is definatly happier than he was a couple of months ago. My worry is that he will out grow the biggest size pull-ups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: