4 replies to this topic

#1 mamabear

mamabear

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

I thought this was thought provoking, granted the numbers of patients isn't all that high. We all have likely felt what we call brain fog......this article seems to give a reason that is often directly connected to celiac sprue! So many of us are iron deficient....and it looks like replacing our iron stores will help .

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum
Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003
Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003
Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

It doesn't explain why I get brain fog every time I get glutened though. I mean, I don't just suddenly turn iron deficient one day and then not iron deficient the next when the brain fog lifts again. :)

But interesting nevertheless.

Pauliina

#3 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

It doesn't explain why I get brain fog every time I get glutened though. I mean, I don't just suddenly turn iron deficient one day and then not iron deficient the next when the brain fog lifts again. :)

But interesting nevertheless.

Pauliina

Could be it inteferes with your bodies ability to use it? Like you say though it seems improbable its deficiency overnight????
(just a wild guess)
If someone has a LOT of time there are some really good articles here.. http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#4 DestinyLeah

DestinyLeah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

Popular explanation from doctors for brain fog as a reaction to gluten is that it is a neurological reaction. Simple as that. The gluten in your system interferes with your body's ability to fire off and translate those little electrical impulses that you otherwise never think about.

I have apparently been a Celiac my whole life, and the nerve damage I thought was from a car accident is actually stripped nerves from the Celiac. Now I feel like I ought to send the settlement back to the trucking company that hit me. :blink: Oh, well. At least if I stay gluten free, it should heal over time, according to the neurologist & GI.
Diagnosed with Celiac on April 24, 2007

The bad:
Ovarian Cysts- unable to carry a child
Nerve damage
Severe intestinal damage
Near death experiences

The good:
A new outlook on life
A newfound respect for others who must face challenges that they did not necessarily want to face today
Healthy Cookies

#5 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I thought this was thought provoking, granted the numbers of patients isn't all that high. We all have likely felt what we call brain fog......this article seems to give a reason that is often directly connected to celiac sprue! So many of us are iron deficient....and it looks like replacing our iron stores will help .

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

There could be some people with celiac that this has been true - but.....

I don't think I put to much into iron deficiency and brain fog - I had a high level of iron, but such a bad, bad brain brain fog. The celiac diease chose to pick my brain as the organ of choice to destroy. I still am only in the first month of gluten-free and I have a long way to go. My short term memory seems to have been effected - but I believe it will not be as bad six months from now.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: