Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Brain Fog Due To Iron Deficiency?

6 posts in this topic

I thought this was thought provoking, granted the numbers of patients isn't all that high. We all have likely felt what we call brain fog......this article seems to give a reason that is often directly connected to celiac sprue! So many of us are iron deficient....and it looks like replacing our iron stores will help .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Ads by Google:

It doesn't explain why I get brain fog every time I get glutened though. I mean, I don't just suddenly turn iron deficient one day and then not iron deficient the next when the brain fog lifts again. :)

But interesting nevertheless.

Pauliina

It doesn't explain why I get brain fog every time I get glutened though. I mean, I don't just suddenly turn iron deficient one day and then not iron deficient the next when the brain fog lifts again. :)

But interesting nevertheless.

Pauliina

Could be it inteferes with your bodies ability to use it? Like you say though it seems improbable its deficiency overnight????

(just a wild guess)

If someone has a LOT of time there are some really good articles here.. http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/

Popular explanation from doctors for brain fog as a reaction to gluten is that it is a neurological reaction. Simple as that. The gluten in your system interferes with your body's ability to fire off and translate those little electrical impulses that you otherwise never think about.

I have apparently been a Celiac my whole life, and the nerve damage I thought was from a car accident is actually stripped nerves from the Celiac. Now I feel like I ought to send the settlement back to the trucking company that hit me. :blink: Oh, well. At least if I stay gluten free, it should heal over time, according to the neurologist & GI.

I thought this was thought provoking, granted the numbers of patients isn't all that high. We all have likely felt what we call brain fog......this article seems to give a reason that is often directly connected to celiac sprue! So many of us are iron deficient....and it looks like replacing our iron stores will help .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

There could be some people with celiac that this has been true - but.....

I don't think I put to much into iron deficiency and brain fog - I had a high level of iron, but such a bad, bad brain brain fog. The celiac diease chose to pick my brain as the organ of choice to destroy. I still am only in the first month of gluten-free and I have a long way to go. My short term memory seems to have been effected - but I believe it will not be as bad six months from now.

Three words--Chocolate covered pineapple.  My fave way of introducing a little iron boost to my system.  :)  Pineapple has tons more vitamin C than oranges.  Dark chocolate has a bunch of iron.  Plant based iron absorbs easier with the help of vitamin C.  Is brain fog due to lack of iron?  Dunno, but boy can I focus when I'm eating chocolate!  LOL!