This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Celiacs Use Exlax?

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hey Celiacs!

Ive never really had such a problem like this before....Im gluten-free for 8 yrs, follow strict diet. My stomach has its good times and bad.......currently i posted a message under "Mystery Pain" a pain to right side of belly button..........

my pelvic area has been hurting me for weeks, even went for CAT scan at hospital........after all my investigating (from cyst on ovary to appendsitis) i think my answer is "backed up" gas. I havent had a normal, full BM lately. Im wondering now if this is all due to backed up gas????? I usually have gas even tho i folllow diet. I have had trouble with my BMs in past......sometimes theyre so difficult I squeeze til Im ready to fall off bowl (sorry so descriptive, but we all have celiac disease and have been thru some form of this, right?) ive taken magnesium, fish oil, water, coffee and other things to help sluggish metabolism. Now im wondering if i should just take EXLAX and see if that works???? Ive never used it before, dont even know if its gluten-free????

Does anyone else suffer from these problems, and if so, what do u do??? does exlax work?

can anyone give advice here??????

Id appreciate any help, thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I believe it is dangerous for us to use laxatives considering the compromised digestive system. Laxatives tend to cause nutrient loss, which is obviously not good for anyone.

It might help if you list the kinds of foods you eat. Perhaps there is something to which you are intolerant, or something missing from the diet, such as fiber.

confused Community Regular
hey Celiacs!

Ive never really had such a problem like this before....Im gluten-free for 8 yrs, follow strict diet. My stomach has its good times and bad.......currently i posted a message under "Mystery Pain" a pain to right side of belly button..........

my pelvic area has been hurting me for weeks, even went for CAT scan at hospital........after all my investigating (from cyst on ovary to appendsitis) i think my answer is "backed up" gas. I havent had a normal, full BM lately. Im wondering now if this is all due to backed up gas????? I usually have gas even tho i folllow diet. I have had trouble with my BMs in past......sometimes theyre so difficult I squeeze til Im ready to fall off bowl (sorry so descriptive, but we all have celiac disease and have been thru some form of this, right?) ive taken magnesium, fish oil, water, coffee and other things to help sluggish metabolism. Now im wondering if i should just take EXLAX and see if that works???? Ive never used it before, dont even know if its gluten-free????

Does anyone else suffer from these problems, and if so, what do u do??? does exlax work?

can anyone give advice here??????

Id appreciate any help, thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you still consume dairy. I know since i became dairy free. My bm;s have been better. I still get D when glutened, but i no longer have C.

paula

elisa5193 Newbie

I completely know how you feel. I started eating gluten-free only about 5 months ago, and it has completely affected my bowels. The pain you were experiencing in your lower right abdomenen was most likely backed up gas. I felt that exact same pain and ended up in ER, because the pain was so excruciating. There is literally nothing you can do to make it go away...it passes usually within 24-48 hours, but it is due to a back-up of both gas and bowel movements...I used to experience much more D before I stopped eating gluten, but now I experience C all the time. I don't knwo what to do about it, because I can't find any gluten-free foods that are full of fiber. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, but they do not help. I was also considering resorting to some form of laxative...either a prescription form (as I feel they may be safer) or an all-natural version, such as prune juice, or some sort of supplement from Whole Foods. I plan to talk to my GI about this on Monday, so will let you know if I find out any further information!

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

elisa---

thanx for sharing your story. It helps to hear from other C's.......As a matter of fact I was Glutened today from eating breakfast from the local diner. Came home sick as a dog, had the worst BM, and pain. Collapsed into bed crying. Anyway, turned out I didnt buy the exlax....."thanx" to geting Glutened, I got it all out!!!!!!!

BTW, omega fish oil helps letting BM out!

Good luck and keep me posted!!!

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

elisa---

thanx for sharing your story. It helps to hear from other C's.......As a matter of fact I was Glutened today from eating breakfast from the local diner. Came home sick as a dog, had the worst BM, and pain. Collapsed into bed crying. Anyway, turned out I didnt buy the exlax....."thanx" to geting Glutened, I got it all out!!!!!!!

BTW, omegafatty fish oil helps letting BM out!

Good luck and keep me posted!!!

RiceGuy Collaborator
I don't knwo what to do about it, because I can't find any gluten-free foods that are full of fiber.

Besides the obvious stuff like brown rice, ground flaxseed, etc, here are a few good sources of fiber:

Popcorn

Green peas

Millet (the flour is great for baking too)

Teff as a cereal or flour for baking

Kasha (roasted buckwheat) as a hot cereal or in place of grain

Use coconut flour or shredded coconut in baking

Use guar gum instead of xanthan gum in baking

I'm sure there are plenty of other good sources of fiber too. The above is just what comes to mind ATM.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

My son has celiac disease and constipation and his doctor allows him to use Senacot in extreme situations when he cannot go at all. He also is on Miralax daily which is a stool softener. But, I made him dairy free about a month ago and he has had a bowel movement everyday. I even had to lessen the stool softener. I will begin to ween him off of that and see if he can go now unassited. He has been on miralax since his 4th birthday, he is now 6 and a half. I can't believe it was as simple as removing dairy (my first GI never told me to do that, in fact he told me his symptoms were not corrolating with dairy intolerance <_< ).

Nicole

Archived