This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mood Swings?

madlinmom

madlinmom Newbie

I am new to this board, and new to celiac disease in general...My husband has celiac disease, and I find that whenever he has accidentially ingested some sort of gluten, he suffers severe mood swings. He becomes a totally different person. Does this happen to anyone else? Are there any vitamin supplements or anything else that could be helpful in these situations?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

YES!!! My mood swings were awful. I get really irritable if I get glutened - angry, anxious, depressed, tearful, etc. I also get nightmares and insomnia, so if he's not getting good sleep when he's been glutened, it may be related to his reaction as well.

Nancy

Guest j_mommy

I have also just been diagnosed and am just putting all of my symptoms together. I have realized that my mood swings are connected as well. I cann't start my gluten free diet until after my biopsy and at this point now that I know what causes all these problems I can't wait! But from what I understand is trying to go as gluten free as possible and my mood swings will stop! I h0ope that helps, good luck

jerseyangel Proficient

I get mood swings, anxiety and paranoia when glutened. I snap at people very easily--and I'm not normally like that. I know I'm doing it and feel bad, but I can't help it and do it anyway. Then, I obsess about it. I'm sorry your husband is experiencing this--it's not pleasant for anyone involved.

Make sure he is getting enough B vitamins--when I first went gluten-free, I took a good multi, B6 and B12 (sublingual).

Welcome to the board! :)

Miss Missy Newbie
I get mood swings, anxiety and paranoia when glutened. I snap at people very easily--and I'm not normally like that. I know I'm doing it and feel bad, but I can't help it and do it anyway. Then, I obsess about it. I'm sorry your husband is experiencing this--it's not pleasant for anyone involved.

Make sure he is getting enough B vitamins--when I first went gluten-free, I took a good multi, B6 and B12 (sublingual).

Welcome to the board! :)

Where did you find gluten free, sublingual vitamins??? My friends, family and co-workers would be very grateful if I could get some B vitamins! :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
Where did you find gluten free, sublingual vitamins??? My friends, family and co-workers would be very grateful if I could get some B vitamins! :blink:

I should have been more clear--only the B12 was sublingual--it is much better absorbed that way. I used the Whole Foods brand--it is gluten-free. The B6 I used was Nature Made--a regular pill, gluten-free. Actually, I have not seen a Nature Made vitamin that was not gluten-free. There may be one, but I haven't run across it. :)

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

FREEDA Vitamins is a dedicated gluten-free company. You can go online and order or get a catalogue. Theyre very good, Ive been taking them for years (multi, biotin, b6, calcium, etc). Everything is gluten-free so its fun to shop for something that is sold from a gluten-free only store!!!!

I, too, suffer mood swings (Ive also been on Prozac and Wellbutrin ever since my diagnosis 8 yrs ago). You can absolutely suffer from mood swings/irritability, etc. As a matter of fact, today I was Glutened after eating breakfast from a diner. I had such bad BM, I thought Id die.....very painful!! After I had this attack, I got into bed weak, distraught, depressed and sad. I even picked a fight with my fiance!!!! Were getting married in 3 months and I told him I wanted to call it off!!!! I got upset with him and told him I didnt think we should marry, not happy, etc.!!!!!!! However, I AM happy!! I DO love him and want to marry!!!! So, I realized it was the celiac disease voicing its ugliness and meanness!!!!!!!

A few hours have past and Im better. I feel like myself again. Im getting along great with my fiance and cant believe I acted like that!!!!!

Good luck w/celiac disease.........if you have questions, Id be happy to try and help!!!!

e

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I get sooo moody when I get glutened....I feel so bad for my fiance. I am a real b%$@#y person. Excuse the french ;) I notice I have also gotten nightmares, get panic attacks. I have anxiety about my job and my coworkers. I get paranoid.

I plain old hate the person I become. I still struggle with it sometimes.

I also find myself with a very depressed attitude. I don't care about anything, I just want to drape on a couch and stay in a slump.

madlinmom Newbie

Thank you all for your replies. There is some comfort in knowing he is not the only to experience this. I will take your advice and try the B-6 and B-12 combo and see if that will help at all too... It's so difficult when these "attacks" happen because even he can't identify it until it passes, and then he can't believe how bad he felt and how difficult he was!

Do any of you use the restaurant cards when dining out? Have these proven helpful? My husband eats out all the time, which is where some of these gluten issues arise. I was going to buy the cards, but wasn't sure if they were helpful for the restaurants?

Kyalesyin Apprentice

My wife gets killer mood swings. They're even worse when the hormones are out to play too and she gets glutened by chocolate. Gets me tempted to borrow a riot shield.

It does get better though. They only last a day or so.

dionnek Enthusiast
Thank you all for your replies. There is some comfort in knowing he is not the only to experience this. I will take your advice and try the B-6 and B-12 combo and see if that will help at all too... It's so difficult when these "attacks" happen because even he can't identify it until it passes, and then he can't believe how bad he felt and how difficult he was!

Do any of you use the restaurant cards when dining out? Have these proven helpful? My husband eats out all the time, which is where some of these gluten issues arise. I was going to buy the cards, but wasn't sure if they were helpful for the restaurants?

I have the Triumph dining cards and don't use them a lot, but when we went on vacation recently I decided to pull them out and every restaurant I used them at was so greatful - they said the kitchen staff loves to have something to look at, so I think they are worth it (plus they come in different languages so very useful if you are at a thai restaurant or travelling overseas).

madlinmom Newbie
I have the Triumph dining cards and don't use them a lot, but when we went on vacation recently I decided to pull them out and every restaurant I used them at was so greatful - they said the kitchen staff loves to have something to look at, so I think they are worth it (plus they come in different languages so very useful if you are at a thai restaurant or travelling overseas).

Thanks for your feedback. I am going to get them...

Kellygirl Rookie
I am new to this board, and new to celiac disease in general...My husband has celiac disease, and I find that whenever he has accidentially ingested some sort of gluten, he suffers severe mood swings. He becomes a totally different person. Does this happen to anyone else? Are there any vitamin supplements or anything else that could be helpful in these situations?

Actually I swear I am learning more off of this board than in any book. I have been off the gluten for a week and I am a little frustrated because of food choices but the attitude I used to willing unload on people has dimmed. I though maybe it was because I was spending more time studing this disease, but other than hunger pains I have to admit I actually feel better. I don't feel bloated and FAT and I don't have a bad headache or that constant pain in the middle of my stomache. I don't know about the vitamins or anything as I am just new to this aswell.

Kellygirl Rookie
My wife gets killer mood swings. They're even worse when the hormones are out to play too and she gets glutened by chocolate. Gets me tempted to borrow a riot shield.

It does get better though. They only last a day or so.

When you say she gets glutened by chocolate are you saying that it's not gluten free? If it isn't I am going to be mad. I read labels what am I suppose to look for? I didn't see wheat, rye, barley or oats so I eat it now and again, usually just plain dark chocolate

Nantzie Collaborator

Plain chocolate is usually fine, but some things that they add to it can sneak up on you if you're not aware they have gluten. Crisp rice is one example (they add barley malt). Also, some snack sizes and holiday shapes of normally gluten-free candy bars can have gluten.

Nancy

courtney84l Newbie

Hello~

I need some help. Ive been on a gluten free diet for almost a year. But my mood swings lately are horrible. I snap at the smallest things. Everyone tells me to relax but that sets me off. I dont get it. Is there anything out there that can help me? I take a multi vitiam. Is there something eles I am missing? I am beyond furstrated.

Thank you

~Courtney

courtney84l Newbie

Hello~

I need some help. Ive been on a gluten free diet for almost a year. But my mood swings lately are horrible. I snap at the smallest things. Everyone tells me to relax but that sets me off. I dont get it. Is there anything out there that can help me? I take a multi vitiam. Is there something eles I am missing? I am beyond furstrated.

Thank you

~Courtney

Kyalesyin Apprentice
When you say she gets glutened by chocolate are you saying that it's not gluten free? If it isn't I am going to be mad. I read labels what am I suppose to look for? I didn't see wheat, rye, barley or oats so I eat it now and again, usually just plain dark chocolate

We're not sure what it was- it was some fancy stuff her boss brought into work, and she felt it'd be rude to ask if she could read the ingredients. My money is on one of the fancy truffle-type things having something in it. We stick now to plan dark- the 70% stuff doesn't seem to have room for gluten!

miss cookingnerd Newbie

Courtney:

from one Minnesotan to another--I feel your pain.

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with Celiac, finally explaining the drastic mood swings of the last year or so. It's very difficult to love someone and be loved by them when they can't behave like themselves. My best coping mechanisms have been taking a deep breath and spending some time apart doing calming activities--I go to the gym or read a book and he'll watch a movie or do something on his computer. Other than that, try food! I know we're told that emotional eating is bad, but a good friend of mine studying cultural foods and psychology at NYU has been screaming at me for months that certain foods will trigger certain feelings.

For example: having to eat different foods from those around you can make you feel outcast, triggering those scary mood swings. Try getting your friends and family to experiment with you, trying store bought brands and cooking together. Also, eat foods that remind you of family or positive times in your life. Vanilla Coke always reminds me of my family's cabin on Lake Bass in central MN and boiled egg noodles with potatoes and onions makes me think of my grandmother who raised me. Certain foods trigger reactions in your brain, just like smiling releases chemicals that make you happy.

No matter what illness you have, things will get you down. Personally, I'm in remission from a stage one tumor and also suffer from CFS and Asthma. My natural medicine of choice is Inostitol Hexophosphate (IP6) and a cup of tea with honey. IP6 is a compound that stimulates cell regrowth and gives a pep-talk to your killer T-cells (and is gluten/wheat/soy/dairy free). I find that it gives me more energy and keeps me happy. I also find meditation and a regular exercise routine to be very helpful as well.

Life can be miserable when you're not entirely yourself. Just don't let it get you down! Find something or someone to motivate and support you and I'm sure things will start to look up soon!

little d Enthusiast

OH MY GOSH!

I do get anxity sometimes it is so bad now this sound silly but when I watch TV I feel like it so far away when I am only a few feet away.

I do get paronoid I always think that people are saying bad things behind my back, and then it puts me into a mood where i don't want to talk to anyone

I do get over obsessive about thing especially with major new event (Anna Nicole Smith death, Virgina tech shooting, O J simpson back in the day, any major story I am glued to the TV. I know that I am obsessing over celiac disease if ya'll haven't notice :lol:

Depression yes but I can usually bring myself out of it very quick

I can't have a argument with my husband because I will shut down and say things that I don't mean.

WOW Is the nuerological part of Celiacs that I am hearing

Donna

Nantzie Collaborator

Courtney - definitely make sure that multivitamin, and any other supplements you take are gluten-free. Other than that, it can take a while to heal. You'll have ups and downs. Today, I was totally snappy with my daughter. I'm 99.99989% sure I haven't been glutened, but my gosh I was snippy today. :rolleyes: I think it was an actual MOOD.

Miss Cooking - Cultural foods and psychology sounds fascinating. Totally up a celiac's alley. Does she have any websites to point us to? (Proudly waving my nerd flag...) I may have to go back to college. I could totally rock that major. :D

Donna - I've seen people using the slash-phrase, neuro/mood. Seems pretty accurate to me without having to list the 20 things neuro/mood really means. My neuro/mood symptoms were anxiety/depression/anger/irritability/exhaustion/tearfulness/paranoia/obsessions/compulsions/balance problems/pain/mobility problems/concentration and memory problems/slurred speech/nightmares/insomnia/migraines.

Neuro/mood is a nice little phrase that seems to pretty much cover it. :rolleyes::ph34r:

:D

Nancy

little d Enthusiast

Nantzie

What a revelation!!!

You just mentioned everything that I experince, sometimes my balance is so off that I run into walls while walking paralell with it, I slur my speech I even say things backwards or out of order, I only cry usually when there is an Awards show or Pagent, other than that not too easy I will have times that I do need to cry because its been a while. Pain yes I am proned to neck pain and crick as well and pain in joints as well. Anger yes I had to learn that I can't spank my child because I become a different person its like I black out and go too far. I have learned to just take a breath and barly tap on her butt enough to get her attention and she just lets the tears fly. I zone out while driving but never swerve, I know where i am driving. Concetration, memory you bet I can barly remember what I had last tuesday for dinner. Nightmare were really bad when I was younger oh so bad not so bad anymore. Migrains well I have had maybe 4 or more in the last year, I just thought that they were Sinues related. One time it was really bad that I had to vomit after taking my daughter to school, I had Coffee thinking it was caffine related but it just made me vomit, good thing that I didn't have that breakfast burrito (funny I can remember that pretty well) :lol: Insomnia only when it is that time of the month.

Thanks for the info

Donna

• 2 weeks later...
Danno Rookie

If you're a celiac, you've been one since birth, and it's well known that gluten poisons the body and drags down the emotions beginning at an ealry age. I think it's no different than getting the flu, it can make you grumpy, down, depressed, etc. Mood swings are no different than stomach cramps, just a result of eating gluten.

My hard nose advice would be to just suck it up, and take your lumps for eating gluten. You're not a bad person, just temporarily poisoned.

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
dolli Newbie

I was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago and went to a nutrionalist that has me on a real strict diet with vitamins. My mood swings were so bad that on two occasions my children took me to the hospital to be put in the pysch ward for 72 hours!! I have spent numerous hours researching my disease and what it is going to take to make me better and not go off like a raging bull. I am now taking a 2-atage, timed release B-complex 75, that has literally calmed me and I no longer verbally attack the world. I still have my moments but not as bad (probably twice a month now verses daily)! I as well found that my mood swings were also being caused from always being hungry. Now I drink 2 Lg. glasses of Perfect Food a day and 2 Sm. glasses of primal defense a day, this has curved my desire to constanly shove food in my mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
little d Enthusiast

I guess that you can tell I had a mood swing the outburst kind in action on the have you cheated on your diet thread :lol:

Sorry about that guys

donna

Archived