#16 courtney84l

courtney84l

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

Hello~
I need some help. Ive been on a gluten free diet for almost a year. But my mood swings lately are horrible. I snap at the smallest things. Everyone tells me to relax but that sets me off. I dont get it. Is there anything out there that can help me? I take a multi vitiam. Is there something eles I am missing? I am beyond furstrated.
Thank you
~Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 courtney84l

courtney84l

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hello~
I need some help. Ive been on a gluten free diet for almost a year. But my mood swings lately are horrible. I snap at the smallest things. Everyone tells me to relax but that sets me off. I dont get it. Is there anything out there that can help me? I take a multi vitiam. Is there something eles I am missing? I am beyond furstrated.
Thank you
~Courtney

#18 Kyalesyin

Kyalesyin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

When you say she gets glutened by chocolate are you saying that it's not gluten free? If it isn't I am going to be mad. I read labels what am I suppose to look for? I didn't see wheat, rye, barley or oats so I eat it now and again, usually just plain dark chocolate

We're not sure what it was- it was some fancy stuff her boss brought into work, and she felt it'd be rude to ask if she could read the ingredients. My money is on one of the fancy truffle-type things having something in it. We stick now to plan dark- the 70% stuff doesn't seem to have room for gluten!
I'm really just here about my wife. Its all her fault!

#19 miss cookingnerd

miss cookingnerd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Courtney:

from one Minnesotan to another--I feel your pain.

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with Celiac, finally explaining the drastic mood swings of the last year or so. It's very difficult to love someone and be loved by them when they can't behave like themselves. My best coping mechanisms have been taking a deep breath and spending some time apart doing calming activities--I go to the gym or read a book and he'll watch a movie or do something on his computer. Other than that, try food! I know we're told that emotional eating is bad, but a good friend of mine studying cultural foods and psychology at NYU has been screaming at me for months that certain foods will trigger certain feelings.

For example: having to eat different foods from those around you can make you feel outcast, triggering those scary mood swings. Try getting your friends and family to experiment with you, trying store bought brands and cooking together. Also, eat foods that remind you of family or positive times in your life. Vanilla Coke always reminds me of my family's cabin on Lake Bass in central MN and boiled egg noodles with potatoes and onions makes me think of my grandmother who raised me. Certain foods trigger reactions in your brain, just like smiling releases chemicals that make you happy.

No matter what illness you have, things will get you down. Personally, I'm in remission from a stage one tumor and also suffer from CFS and Asthma. My natural medicine of choice is Inostitol Hexophosphate (IP6) and a cup of tea with honey. IP6 is a compound that stimulates cell regrowth and gives a pep-talk to your killer T-cells (and is gluten/wheat/soy/dairy free). I find that it gives me more energy and keeps me happy. I also find meditation and a regular exercise routine to be very helpful as well.

Life can be miserable when you're not entirely yourself. Just don't let it get you down! Find something or someone to motivate and support you and I'm sure things will start to look up soon!

#20 little d

little d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

OH MY GOSH!

I do get anxity sometimes it is so bad now this sound silly but when I watch TV I feel like it so far away when I am only a few feet away.

I do get paronoid I always think that people are saying bad things behind my back, and then it puts me into a mood where i don't want to talk to anyone

I do get over obsessive about thing especially with major new event (Anna Nicole Smith death, Virgina tech shooting, O J simpson back in the day, any major story I am glued to the TV. I know that I am obsessing over celiac disease if ya'll haven't notice :lol:

Depression yes but I can usually bring myself out of it very quick

I can't have a argument with my husband because I will shut down and say things that I don't mean.

WOW Is the nuerological part of Celiacs that I am hearing

Donna
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

#21 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

Courtney - definitely make sure that multivitamin, and any other supplements you take are gluten-free. Other than that, it can take a while to heal. You'll have ups and downs. Today, I was totally snappy with my daughter. I'm 99.99989% sure I haven't been glutened, but my gosh I was snippy today. :rolleyes: I think it was an actual MOOD.

Miss Cooking - Cultural foods and psychology sounds fascinating. Totally up a celiac's alley. Does she have any websites to point us to? (Proudly waving my nerd flag...) I may have to go back to college. I could totally rock that major. :D

Donna - I've seen people using the slash-phrase, neuro/mood. Seems pretty accurate to me without having to list the 20 things neuro/mood really means. My neuro/mood symptoms were anxiety/depression/anger/irritability/exhaustion/tearfulness/paranoia/obsessions/compulsions/balance problems/pain/mobility problems/concentration and memory problems/slurred speech/nightmares/insomnia/migraines.

Neuro/mood is a nice little phrase that seems to pretty much cover it. :rolleyes: :ph34r:

:D

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#22 little d

little d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Nantzie

What a revelation!!!

You just mentioned everything that I experince, sometimes my balance is so off that I run into walls while walking paralell with it, I slur my speech I even say things backwards or out of order, I only cry usually when there is an Awards show or Pagent, other than that not too easy I will have times that I do need to cry because its been a while. Pain yes I am proned to neck pain and crick as well and pain in joints as well. Anger yes I had to learn that I can't spank my child because I become a different person its like I black out and go too far. I have learned to just take a breath and barly tap on her butt enough to get her attention and she just lets the tears fly. I zone out while driving but never swerve, I know where i am driving. Concetration, memory you bet I can barly remember what I had last tuesday for dinner. Nightmare were really bad when I was younger oh so bad not so bad anymore. Migrains well I have had maybe 4 or more in the last year, I just thought that they were Sinues related. One time it was really bad that I had to vomit after taking my daughter to school, I had Coffee thinking it was caffine related but it just made me vomit, good thing that I didn't have that breakfast burrito (funny I can remember that pretty well) :lol: Insomnia only when it is that time of the month.

Thanks for the info
Donna

#23 Danno

Danno

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

If you're a celiac, you've been one since birth, and it's well known that gluten poisons the body and drags down the emotions beginning at an ealry age. I think it's no different than getting the flu, it can make you grumpy, down, depressed, etc. Mood swings are no different than stomach cramps, just a result of eating gluten.

My hard nose advice would be to just suck it up, and take your lumps for eating gluten. You're not a bad person, just temporarily poisoned.

Good luck!

#24 dolli

dolli

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

I am new to this board, and new to celiac disease in general...My husband has celiac disease, and I find that whenever he has accidentially ingested some sort of gluten, he suffers severe mood swings. He becomes a totally different person. Does this happen to anyone else? Are there any vitamin supplements or anything else that could be helpful in these situations?

I was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago and went to a nutrionalist that has me on a real strict diet with vitamins. My mood swings were so bad that on two occasions my children took me to the hospital to be put in the pysch ward for 72 hours!! I have spent numerous hours researching my disease and what it is going to take to make me better and not go off like a raging bull. I am now taking a 2-atage, timed release B-complex 75, that has literally calmed me and I no longer verbally attack the world. I still have my moments but not as bad (probably twice a month now verses daily)! I as well found that my mood swings were also being caused from always being hungry. Now I drink 2 Lg. glasses of Perfect Food a day and 2 Sm. glasses of primal defense a day, this has curved my desire to constanly shove food in my mouth.

#25 little d

little d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I guess that you can tell I had a mood swing the outburst kind in action on the have you cheated on your diet thread :lol:
Sorry about that guys

donna

#26 geokozmo

geokozmo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:46 AM

Yes I have the same symtom, complusion, anger, mood swings when (if by chance) on gluten. i do take sme vitamins but I dont see the difference. The main thing is to avoid gluten. If I keep my diet my mood is stable and I feel okay. (In spite of normal daily problemsolving issues.)

Geo

#27 Leslie-FL

Leslie-FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

Ooooohhhh, yeah! I have mood swings, depression, horrible bouts of indecision, and a lack of focus that almost cost me my job before I realized that my problem was gluten.

Someone also mentioned hormones - I have PMDD and started on YAZ last year, about four months after beginning the gluten free diet. It has made a big difference, but I'm sure that the gluten free diet has made an even bigger difference. On those occasions that I am accdientally glutened, I find the next entire cycle is much more difficult, so it must throw everything out of balance.

Amazing, how one little food ingredient can turn a person's entire life completely inside-out.

I also take a really good multi vitamin, as well as B-Complex and Calcium and Magnesium. If I forget to take them for a couple days, I can definitely feel the difference (fatigue, malaise, etc.).
Gluten-free since April 2007.
Also dealing with Fibromyalgia, Depression, PCOS, PMDD, and Menopause, but otherwise extremely healthy. :)
Found out I have Adult ADD in January 2009.

#28 TearzaRose

TearzaRose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

I've only been gluten free for 3 days now, but I feel like a completely different person! I am normally VERY moody, snap easily at my daughter and on the verge of tears very often.
I feel so great!
I think maybe some people who get grumpier after going gluten free may not be getting enough carbs in their system. I know that carbs can affect mood, and when you go gluten free, your choices can be so limiting.
As far as being frustrated when you're out and about and suddenly need something to eat-do what i do...always have something with you! A gluten free snack bar, fruit, pack of tuna, some nuts-whatever you can eat. takes the frustration out of the situation pretty easily.
gluten intolerant
lactose intolerant
casein intolerant
egg intolerant
corn intolerant
soy sensitive

mom has rheumatic fever along with other serious GI issues that have yet to be diagnosed.

father is lactose intolerant

#29 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

I've only been gluten free for 3 days now, but I feel like a completely different person! I am normally VERY moody, snap easily at my daughter and on the verge of tears very often.
I feel so great!
I think maybe some people who get grumpier after going gluten free may not be getting enough carbs in their system. I know that carbs can affect mood, and when you go gluten free, your choices can be so limiting.
As far as being frustrated when you're out and about and suddenly need something to eat-do what i do...always have something with you! A gluten free snack bar, fruit, pack of tuna, some nuts-whatever you can eat. takes the frustration out of the situation pretty easily.

I am so glad you are having a good response to the diet. For some of us another possible factor with mood swings after going gluten free is that they will go through withdrawl. Not everyone experiences this but for some the first week is a real tough time. It sounds like you are coping with this well and the suggestion to always have a safe food with is a real good one.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#30 Herreralovv

Herreralovv

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ugh me too. I get terrible mood swings. I get so bitchy that even i hate myself when i get like that. The bad thing is that i say bad rude comments to my husband in front of ppl, and i know im coming across as the mean controlling witch. Its uncontrollable, im not normaly like that, before i was celiac i was shy,quiet and everyone saw me as that nice girl. But now i believe ppl see me as the rachet mean wife. Lol i just feel bad for my husband, cus he has to deal with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: