29 replies to this topic

#1 whattodo

whattodo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

Today I have woken up with a lovely mouth blood blister (1/4") that has appeared over night. I have never had one of these so has just made me wonder if its another one of those hundereds of symptoms of celiac disease. Any ideas anyone?

Jason
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:47 AM

WOW! I thought I was the only one!

I searched high and low for an answer, but found nothing. I'm figuring it's pretty darn rare. Anyway, I get them when I eat certain foods, and they appear right while I'm eating, like in minutes. Mostly on the inside of my cheeks. Usually it's one, but sometimes two or more, though they tend to be smaller. Typical size is around that of a green pea, though much larger have happened. Thus far, it seems that any food which is both crunchy and particularly yummy will do it. The more I enjoy the food, the more likely they tend to appear :blink:

I have yet to find any other correlation between the foods that do it, which include tortilla/potato chips, some varieties of apples, and crunchy biscuits. Once it happened with plain boiled vegetables though, so the crunchiness might not be all important. That would leave the yumminess, which I am hoping is NOT an indicator that I'm allergic to my own saliva!
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 whattodo

whattodo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:00 AM

WOW! I thought I was the only one!

I searched high and low for an answer, but found nothing. I'm figuring it's pretty darn rare. Anyway, I get them when I eat certain foods, and they appear right while I'm eating, like in minutes. Mostly on the inside of my cheeks. Usually it's one, but sometimes two or more, though they tend to be smaller. Typical size is around that of a green pea, though much larger have happened. Thus far, it seems that any food which is both crunchy and particularly yummy will do it. The more I enjoy the food, the more likely they tend to appear :blink:

I have yet to find any other correlation between the foods that do it, which include tortilla/potato chips, some varieties of apples, and crunchy biscuits. Once it happened with plain boiled vegetables though, so the crunchiness might not be all important. That would leave the yumminess, which I am hoping is NOT an indicator that I'm allergic to my own saliva!

Hi RiceGuy,
Thanks for the post, do u think it may be related to being vitamin deficient. I am going through the early stages of the gluten free diet and feel really run down. Did you get these whilst eating gluten? The only thing i can say i have eaten that you suggest is last night i had spinach, potatoes, cabbage and broccili chicken and rice.

mind you over the last couple of days i have eaten a few sugary items when i usually dont eat sugar.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:36 AM

Hi RiceGuy,
Thanks for the post, do u think it may be related to being vitamin deficient. I am going through the early stages of the gluten free diet and feel really run down. Did you get these whilst eating gluten? The only thing i can say i have eaten that you suggest is last night i had spinach, potatoes, cabbage and broccili chicken and rice.

mind you over the last couple of days i have eaten a few sugary items when i usually dont eat sugar.

I don't know if there's a relation to vitamin deficiency, but if it was a common symptom I'd think it would be documented someplace by now. I didn't get these blisters before going gluten-free. Though I can't currently eat nightshades, if I had the meal you describe, it wouldn't give me any blisters. Potatoes that aren't crunchy (and likely salted) wouldn't do it. At first I thought it was the salt, but when it happened with the apples that rules out the salt.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

I used to get mouth ulcers before I was gluten-free. But, I haven't had any since. Did you consume some gluten accidentally?
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#6 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:26 AM

I think that mouth sores must be associated with celiac disease, most likely gluten exposure, because when I took my son to the gastroenterologist he directly asked if he has ever gotten a mouth sore.

Hope you feel better. :)
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

I think that mouth sores must be associated with celiac disease, most likely gluten exposure, because when I took my son to the gastroenterologist he directly asked if he has ever gotten a mouth sore.

Hope you feel better. :)

Thing is, this isn't a sore. It's an obvious blood blister, and I actually never got them before going gluten-free. Plus, none of the things that do it contain gluten. The reaction is strikingly fast too - like if I eat a crispy biscuit, the blister(s) can start forming with the very first bite! However, if the biscuit is soft, nothing happens at all :huh: If it was a reaction to an ingredient, then it would occur with various other stuff I bake. I make everything from scratch too. Then there's the apples, which is quite a bit different from biscuits. I never get any blisters from applesauce either.

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Thing is, this isn't a sore. It's an obvious blood blister, and I actually never got them before going gluten-free. Plus, none of the things that do it contain gluten. The reaction is strikingly fast too - like if I eat a crispy biscuit, the blister(s) can start forming with the very first bite! However, if the biscuit is soft, nothing happens at all :huh: If it was a reaction to an ingredient, then it would occur with various other stuff I bake. I make everything from scratch too. Then there's the apples, which is quite a bit different from biscuits. I never get any blisters from applesauce either.

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. That is very strange and I am glad I've never had one of those.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#9 whattodo

whattodo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

Just an update, after waking up with the blood blister in my mouth it has completely disappeared the following morning.

The only thing i did different that day was get a large intake of vitamins in the form of a smoothie and later the same day some Vitamin B complex, calcium and zinc.

I wonder if the intake of vitamins helped?

#10 jukie

jukie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

Just wanted to say that I get these too! Interestingly, I had one tonight that showed up right after eating some crunchy potato chips...hmmmm, maybe RiceGuy is on to something. Anyway, sorry I don't have more to add, but am glad to know that it's not just me :)

#11 pedro

pedro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:46 AM

Hi all.
We have so many common symptoms. My mouth ulcers also bleed, and they stay with me for about 2-3 weeks. I've noticed that when I go on gluten-free diet they dissapear faster, and they don't come back.
These things are a pain. I have them since I was kid. I guess is another lovely give from celiac. (basura) means garbage in spanish.

I don't know if is a vitamin deficiency or not. All I know gluten-free diet helps.

Take care.
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.
Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006
Biopsy Negative 04/2006
Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007
Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody "Positive"
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,9)

Started gluten-free diet 03/25/2007 (This time is permanently).

One of my daugthers (Elizabeth) also have the gluten and dairy allergy. We started her in the diet, and doing excellent.

#12 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:04 AM

Yup I get them too and I also get the mouth sores. My mouth sores are much better now that I am gluten free, but I still do get the blood blisters from time to time. Interestingly enough I just found out I have pernicious anemia so I'm severely B12 deficient, and so the vitamin deficiency thing may have something to do with it. Mine don't go away that fast, but I don't leave them either lol!! I pop them because I can't stand having lumps in my mouth lol!!
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

#13 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

Just an update, after waking up with the blood blister in my mouth it has completely disappeared the following morning.

The only thing i did different that day was get a large intake of vitamins in the form of a smoothie and later the same day some Vitamin B complex, calcium and zinc.

I wonder if the intake of vitamins helped?

Most times the ones I get will disappear fairly soon, though usually take more than a day. Usually they dwindle away over a period of maybe 3-5 days or so. The best way I have found to get relief from them is to pop them! Yeah, I know - disgusting. But when they're large and painful, I find I have little choice. Thankfully I seem to be avoiding them for the most part.

#14 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Today i got one out of no where, i had thought it was jsut a bump so i played with it and blood came gushing out, it kinda freaked me out. I have no idea why i got it tho. This morning i was eating pistachios, so i guess it could be that, but im not sure. It is gone now, but it kinda caught me off guard.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#15 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

I get them from dairy.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates