This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grainaissance Amazakes And Mochi

tonileet

tonileet Newbie

Hi,

Grainaissance's web site states that all of their Amazakes (rice beverage) are gluten-free except for Mocha Java. Gimme Green's ingredients list includes wheat grass, oat grass, barley grass and kamut grass. I e-mailed the company and asked if Gimme Green really is gluten-free and the woman who responded said "The grasses do not contain gluten as they come from a different part of the plant." Does anyone know if this is a true statement? I'm feeling quite ignorant. She also said that "The Amazake flavors are all made on the same equipment but it is all cleaned between each flavor that's processed." I had asked about testing for gluten but she didn't address that issue.

I like Amazakes but what I'm really wanting to eat is their Mochi. I bought a package of Cashew Date Mochi (contains cinnamon and natural vanilla flavor) and Pizza Mochi (contains herbs, spices and paprika) but am hesitant to eat them because maybe those ingredients contain gluten and the company doesn't realize it. I tried to call Grainaissance today but their customer service rep wasn't available. I'll try again tomorrow but, in the meantime.....does anyone regularly enjoy these mochis (or Gimme Green Amazake) with no reactions? The e-mail I received also said "The Mochi is made in the same processing room but on completely different equipment on the other side of the room. All the Mochi flavors are gluten-free."

Perhaps I'm just being too paranoid. <_<

I long for no symptoms...at least for a few weeks in a row! :D

I'll get there eventually. I wish that for all of us.

Take care - Toni

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Definitely don't take my word for it, but I read an article addressing the use of sprouts and grasses from forbidden grains. It stated that the grain (seed) itself has gluten (lots of it), the grasses from it don't, and the sprouts in the middle lie on a spectrum. In the process of growing the grass blade, the protein is metabolized and by the completion of the growing stage, it has all be converted so that it is gluten free. (Hence saying that sprouts are NOT ok. :-) Well, that's how I interpret it.)

A google search will find you information on this, but I'm not where to find resources on quantitative assays on wheatgrass itself.

tonileet Newbie

Hi Tarnalberry -

I hope you're right! I'll do a search today, if time allows, and post anything I find of interest. If anyone knows a good source of info on grain grasses, please post it.

Thanks much and good day - Toni

• 4 weeks later...
tonileet Newbie

HI,

Well, I haven't researched grain grasses, but.....I've been eating mochi and lovin' it! I miss the doughy texture of wheat products and this stuff hits the spot. Mochi is chewy, quick to bake and fun to eat. It puffs up and out. I like to stuff it with applesauce or tahini. So far I've tried the Original Flavor and Seeds ones. The Cashew Date and Pizza mochis will be next. Stuffing possibilities are endless.

I also drank an "Almond Shake" Amazake yesterday. No problems, so far. It was very cold and very tasty. It probably could be used to make some yummy desserts.

Variety is the spice of life and I'm so happy to add these foods to my safe list!

Give them a try - Toni

Archived