6 replies to this topic

#1 pegom1

pegom1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:56 AM

I ate at Applebee's last night referring to the gluten-free items I had listed in my Palm Pilot from info that was obtained on the internet. I didn't feel very well this morning and just hung up with a csr relations rep. He said at this time they will not guarantee ANY item is gluten-free as different areas of the country are supplied by various companies. These companies frequently change ingredients. They are supposedly working on a list, but it's nearly impossible to keep up with constantly changing ingredients. He suggested checking with the manager on duty (been there, done that...fairly useless)..I guess a salad with Oil and Vinegar is our only safe item.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:00 AM

I wouldn't even trust the salad. From everything I have read, Applebees is one of those places to stay out of. That's fine for me - I never much liked them anyway.
Salads are a major source of cross-contamination - often they are mixed in the same bowls, where croutons have been, dressings are slopped around, fried onions sometimes. Bad news. Unless you can see them make it with fresh gloves and ingredients that haven't been "dribbled" on, who knows!
Celeste

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:03 AM

The list you found is more than two years old. Applebee's has been telling us not to eat there for quite a while.

richard

#4 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:05 AM

I have written off Applebees as well ~ VERY sick each time I try and eat there. Maybe a baked potato would be safe IF you brought your own butter!! :)

#5 momof2

momof2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:35 PM

VERY INTERESTING!!!!!
I just sent Applebees an email, and was disappointed with the response, so I was about to start a new thread, and I saw this at the bottom! I cut and pasted their response, and then my response to their bad news...

Applebees Wrote:
Dear Christi,

Thanks for your recent request for a list of gluten-free menu items available at Applebee's.

We are sorry, but due to the complexity of our menu and the frequency in which we change our menus, we do not provide nutritional breakdowns specifically identifying gluten-free items.

The health and safety of our guests is simply too important to us to risk sharing inaccurate or outdated nutritional information.

We hope you understand our approach to your request. We could never forgive ourselves if we were the cause of someone's illness.

Sincerely,

Claudia Sutherland
Guest Relations Coordinator
Ref # 247084

I responded:
That is too bad, I will share this disappointing news at the next Celiac
Disease meeting, and post a message on the Celiac.com forum. Celiac
Disease is becoming diagnosed a lot more these days, and many restauraunts
have made available items for Celiac guests to enjoy. Hopefully, your
business will catch on before you lose too many customers.
Thank You for your response.
Christi
Daughter diagnosed with Celiac at 14 months old in June 2004.

#6 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:26 PM

Applebees is a useless restaurant! I've tried twice to explain my needs (once in New York City and once in Southern California). Both times a piece of garlic bread was dropped in the middle of my plate and I sent it back. My request for unseasoned vegetables was ignored. Never again. I think I'll write their corporate office, too.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#7 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

i would never eat there, it is just not safe enough because they can't guarantee anything is gluten-free
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: