This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Interesting Article In The New Scott Free Issue

jerseygrl

jerseygrl Explorer

There is an article about a young woman who has just been dx'd with celiac disease. Now, instead of the flirtatious girl that she once was, she feels

extremely inhibited socially. She worries about getting glutened by kissing someone! In fact, she has been known to carry a new toothbrush

and toothpaste to any party in case she meets someone she's attracted to.. Now, there are a whole lot of "issues" I could comment

on regarding this, but for now, I am curious about this one aspect -- I dont have celiac, but my young DD does --

is it common to have to worry about playing "tonsil-hockey" with someone (of course, she's not dating till she's 30, heh heh!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snapple Apprentice

I don't know about everyone else, but I do worry about kissing those that eat gluten. I have been known to be so strict about others lips touching mine, that my husband started comlaining a lot (he wasn't getting his daily alottment of kisses :P ) . I have toned it down some, but yes, it is something I really am careful with. Usually if it has been a few hours or he has brushed his teeth, than we can kiss freely. other than that, we usually stop and think before kissing ensues. Spontaneous is no longer part of our vocab :lol:

Kate

jerseygrl Explorer

Wow, this concern just never occured to me. But then again, there was the girl who died 6 months or so ago by kissing her boyfriend

after he ate peanuts. She was allergic, and I guess he just didnt think about it...... so sad.

Nantzie Collaborator

Yep. My husband doesn't kiss me if he's had gluten. He has to brush his teeth first. Or if several hours have gone by, it seems to be okay.

Just like the rest of the celiac life, the boys who really care about her will be more than willing to do what they need to do to keep her safe and healthy. It will probably weed out a lot of jerks. ;)

My daughter also is going to have to deal with this when she dates. Although my husband assures me that we're moving to an island, patrolled by boyfriend-eating sharks. :lol: I'm pretty sure he's kidding. :unsure:

:D

Nancy

jerseygrl Explorer

I don't know how old your daughter is, Nan, but maybe by the time my 6yo learns how to jump the BF-eating sharks,

there will be a cure or a pill ofr celiac disease ;)

Nantzie Collaborator

LOL!

Nancy

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Wow, this concern just never occured to me. But then again, there was the girl who died 6 months or so ago by kissing her boyfriend

after he ate peanuts. She was allergic, and I guess he just didnt think about it...... so sad.

That is sad, it probably was the last thing on his mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kyalesyin Apprentice

We've had problems with kissing a few times here....

We know when I've had gluten and not gotten rid of it- my wife gets rash around her mouth. I find that eating cheese works well- seems to pick up any clinging gluten and get rid of it very effectively.

jerseygrl Explorer

Oddly, my DD never has stomach discomfort when glutened -- she just gets terribly aggitated and really "wigs out" neurologically.

That should make for an interesting dating scenerio!! :lol::blink:

mandasmom Rookie

My husband is really allergic to shell fish--I sent him to the hospital on our honeymoon bacuse I had eaten lobster and then kissed him!!!! We are very careful about kissing....lots of toothbrushes in our house!!!! But i have given up my seafood..just to be sure!!

sfm Apprentice
There is an article about a young woman who has just been dx'd with celiac disease. Now, instead of the flirtatious girl that she once was, she feels

extremely inhibited socially. She worries about getting glutened by kissing someone! In fact, she has been known to carry a new toothbrush

and toothpaste to any party in case she meets someone she's attracted to.. Now, there are a whole lot of "issues" I could comment

on regarding this, but for now, I am curious about this one aspect -- I dont have celiac, but my young DD does --

is it common to have to worry about playing "tonsil-hockey" with someone (of course, she's not dating till she's 30, heh heh!)

I don't always think of things like that - but my boyfriend will not kiss me, after eating gluten, until he has had a chance to rinse his mouth or chew gum for awhile. My children are the same way, and won't drink from my straw or my cup if they've been eating gluten. And it does make sense, if you think about it... I am extremely sensitive to very small amounts of gluten.

Sheryll

zansu Rookie

it does give all new meaning to the phrase "you make me sick!" :o

Karen B. Explorer

When I was first diagnosed, I didn't believe that it could be that sensitive. I was still thinking of it like an allergy (a little bit is okay). My hubby didn't tell me what he was doing but for a few weeks, he tracked which days he had raisin bran for breakfast and which days he had a gluten-free hot cereal. He also called me at work to see if I was having tummy troubles.

After a few weeks he showed me the results and we've been careful since then. Understand that we've been married for over 20 years and I'm not talking about a major lip lock. Our only morning contact was a quick peck on the way out the door and it was enough to make my tummy rumble all day. That was when I started changing my paradigm for Celiac from a dimmer switch (like my MSG allergy) to an on/off switch.

I would almost think that such sensitivity was psychosomatic except that I didn't know he was tracking my answers when I gave them. When he charted it, there wasn't a lot more to say but "You're right, Dear!"

Sneaky man, my husband.

Archived