This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

What are some ways to tell if i have a candida issue. If so, does threelac really work, and if i don't have candida, will the threelac help whatever is making me feel crappy. Is it really a miracle product. Im always skeptical, and i hate wasting money on stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

YES. It totally works for candida. It's worth every last cent because you don't have to change your diet any more than you already have.

I used it a 2-3 times a year (for a month each time) before finding out that gluten was most of my issue. I just thought I kept getting reoccurances of it. It would take away 80% of my issues, but the ones that I found out later were directly celiac-connected didn't go away. But at the time, feeling 80% better was a God-send.

Now I use it maybe once a year.

Nancy

Edit - forgot you asked how to tell. I do the saliva test that they talk about on the sites that advertise it. I did it once when the saliva test was negative (out of desperation because I still hadn't heard of celiac at that point) and it didn't do anything, positive or negative.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

The best way to find out if you have candida is to do a candida questionnaire. Do a search for "candida questionnaire", or even better "Dr. Crook's Candida Questionnaire". Dr. Crook is the leading candida expert. You will be able to tell by your score whether it may or may not be an issue.

As for Threelac: I used Threelac and for about 6 days I felt great. Then I started going downhill. By about 2 weeks I felt worse than I did before I started taking it. I've tried it out twice just to see if the first time was a fluke. It wasn't. When I switched back to my regular probiotics, which are very powerful, I had massive die off. So for some reason, Threelac made my candida worse. I'm now seeing a doctor for it because it is so bad.

Another thing about Threelac. Don't buy into that bull that says you don't have to remove sugar and mold from your diet because "Threelac works anyway". That's just crap. It doesn't matter how much candida you kill if you keep feeding it. That being said, there are people who don't change their diets and Threelac helps. But what's the point if it keeps coming back and you keep having to use it. The most important line of defense against candida is a zero sugar, zero mold (mushrooms, cured meat), sometimes zero yeast diet. Once you stop feeding it, you can really start killing it with drugs, probiotics, paramicrocidin, caprylic acid, garlic etc.

Whatever you choose to do, try to get some help for it. It is not easy, and there are doctors who care and know how to treat candida. Threelac is not a cure-all, and I personally think GHT is a shady company. I'm sure every post after mine with praise Threelac, but just keep in mind that it doesn't help everyone.

-Brian

wowzer Community Regular

Brian, What you say makes sense. I have to admit that diet makes sense. But what do you eat? Do you know if taking Acidophilus helps?

You can still eat a lot of things. Fresh meat and vegetables are perfect. You can also have most nuts and seeds. Fruits contain natural sugars, so if you have severe candida, they may have to be avoided. If not, you can have almost all fruits except melons, because the skin is porous and mold can get inside. You have to avoid all refined sugars, moldy foods including cheese, cured bacon, and other cured meats, dairy, peanuts, processed and packaged foods, foods and condiments made with yeast, such as ketchup, mustard, vinegar, bread etc. You must also avoid fruit jucies, and artificial sweeteners. You can basically only have water to drink. It's a tough diet, especially for a celiac, but it's really the only way.

Acidophilus is great because it's a probiotic. Probiotics help to restore the normal gut flora, which helps to control the candida overgrowth. The idea is to crowd out the bad with the good. I use HLC Intensive probiotics, which are very powerful and really help to control candida. Many probiotics are much weaker than what the label says. HLC probiotics are proven to be as powerful or more powerful than what the label says. I highly recommend them. The other products I mentioned in the previous post are natural antifungals, which help to kill candida. Anyway I hope this helps.

-Brian

QTGirl78 Newbie
What are some ways to tell if i have a candida issue. If so, does threelac really work, and if i don't have candida, will the threelac help whatever is making me feel crappy. Is it really a miracle product. Im always skeptical, and i hate wasting money on stuff.

There are never miracle products. Meds are not always the answer. Changing you diet, exercise habits, and using supplements can help with candida... Here is a list of symptoms from Open Original Shared Link... Here are some Open Original Shared Link they recommend for Candida...

you may have Candida if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:

* Severe itching sensation of the skin

* Dry mouth and tongue, cracked tongue, bleeding gums

* Recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)

* Painful and frequent urination

* Vaginal burning, itching, or painful intercourse

* Vaginal discharge with a

miamia Rookie
YES. It totally works for candida. It's worth every last cent because you don't have to change your diet any more than you already have.

I used it a 2-3 times a year (for a month each time) before finding out that gluten was most of my issue. I just thought I kept getting reoccurances of it. It would take away 80% of my issues, but the ones that I found out later were directly celiac-connected didn't go away. But at the time, feeling 80% better was a God-send.

Now I use it maybe once a year.

Nancy

Edit - forgot you asked how to tell. I do the saliva test that they talk about on the sites that advertise it. I did it once when the saliva test was negative (out of desperation because I still hadn't heard of celiac at that point) and it didn't do anything, positive or negative.

Nancy-

How much of the 3 lac did you take when you were first battling candida?

Miamia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

I just started taking it a little over a week ago. So far, so good. If you have die-off you need to scale back the amount you take and work up slowly. I have started with one pack a day and am about to go to two. Feeling worse as the candida dies off is common and does not mean it is not working. You may have been taking to much to start. If you have severe candida for a long time, it is not going to resolve in a couple weeks. For mild cases you might feel better quickly, but for severe it may take a few months. I agree with some of the diet info. You definitley don't want to be eating lots of sugar. As for the actual candida diet, I stuck to it strictly for months. It did nothing for me except make me lose tons of weight (which I did not need to lose) and I actually stopped menstruating due to the weight loss. There are some on here who have had great experiences with Threelac, I hope they reply. I will keep everyone posted on my experience with it. Also you have to take a fiber supplement with it to help with elimination of wastes. You can also take charcoal with it to help counter act the die-off. Make sure you don't take charcoal within two hours of supplements or meds.

Just as a side note: The diet is not meant to kill the candida. It is only meant to stop feeding it. It's pointless to follow the diet without adding something that kills the candida. It takes a multi-step approach. But the point is, if you really want to treat candida, the diet is an integral part, Threelac or not.

-Brian

loraleena Contributor

I already eat a no sugar diet and a very healthy diet. But when I cut out all the things on the candida diet, I wasted away!

sickofit Newbie
I already eat a no sugar diet and a very healthy diet. But when I cut out all the things on the candida diet, I wasted away!

So did I, dropped to 94lbs at 5'4", but you have to do it. It really is just the basics, meat and veggies. Dr. Crook says not even fruit to start because of the sugar. He does have recipes, I have all of his books and the cookbook but I'll bet there is a lot on the web. I have been able to get 10lbs back on now that I have been able to add back some carbs.

loraleena Contributor
So did I, dropped to 94lbs at 5'4", but you have to do it. It really is just the basics, meat and veggies. Dr. Crook says not even fruit to start because of the sugar. He does have recipes, I have all of his books and the cookbook but I'll bet there is a lot on the web. I have been able to get 10lbs back on now that I have been able to add back some carbs.

Not all info about Candida recomends this extremely strict diet. I have seen some that are more moderate. I don't eat any fruit except a couple pieces of pear a week. All I know is I felt horrible and looked horrible and stopped getting my period - that is not healthy. I felt much better when I found out I was gluten intolerant and just stopped that and added back in some of the other things I had stopped.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I agree with what Brian has said regarding diet. Theres no way around it....you need to do both antifungals and diet to control candida.

The most important part of treating candida is often left unmentioned...this is determining the *cause* of the candida overgrowth. If you dont address the cause....the candida will almost always come back once you go off of the diet or stop taking antifungals.

If this happens it means something is creating a very favorable environment for yeast to thrive...and it will continue to do so if the underlying cause is left untreated. It shouldnt take years to treat candida (or even months)....this would only be the case when there are other factors involved allowing for the yeast to overgrow. Yeast is opportunistic and when it overgrows and continues to do so despite treatment...there is something allowing for that to happen.

I have had very bad Candida for 4 years now....I got down to 94 lbs. trying to treat it....and also because of malabsorption, food intolerance, etc. I knew there had to be more to it but I was undiagnosed at the time. I now have been diagnosed and I'm back to treating candida after having been mostly ignoring it for the past 2 years.

I'm getting treated for the bigger issues which have caused candida to begin with and alongside those treatments I'm back on the diet and taking Nystatin (again) to control the yeast so that my immune system can better deal with the larger issues.

Also....even though Candida is caused by other issues...it happens to cause ALOT of symptoms itself. The majority of my symptoms are caused by Candida...but if there was nothing keeping the candida there in the first place...I wouldnt be dealing with any of this.

wowzer Community Regular

Rachel, What you are saying makes sense. How do you find the cause?

Archived