This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Travel Suggestions By Plane...

mrsnj91

mrsnj91 Explorer

We are heading to Disney in August and I THINK I have mastered the dining at the resort but I am not sure how to handle the airport. With all the new regulations I am might need some ideas and help! This is for my two year old. Might I point out she is a toddler. With toddler likes and dislikes! LOL! So to look for fruit or veggies is not going to cut it. So I wanted to bring some food on the plane/to the airport with us and also down to FL. We decided to try shipping some down to the resort ahead of time and we reserved a rental for a micro so I can throw in some toddler foods or gluten-free chicken nuggets as needed. But how do I get cold food through the airport without an icepack? I looked online at their regulations and it says it will be allowed for medications or medical reasons. Would they put "allergies" in as medical? And if not, any suggestions on how to keep it cold otherwise and is it possible to find gluten-free kid friendly foods once in the airport??

Anyone want to share experiences or ideas??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I have a letter from my doctor stating that it is medically necessary for me to have blue ice to keep my food cold.

That said; I have actually never had to pull the letter out. I use a partial (three row) piece of a blue ice mat. So far I have gone through security with no problems. My lunch is packed in a Built NY Gourmet Getaway lunch bag, which is very soft and stretchy. I place it in my carry on luggage. I am prepared however to have the blue ice taken away. I bring along sandwich ziploc bags with me. If the blue ice is taken away I plan to fill them with ice when I get on the other side of security.

Another strategy I use is to include in my lunch food that is solid but frozen. I usually use baked chicken strips.

As for food this is what I carry but I am not sure if it is toddler friendly:

Peanut butter and jelly on gluten free bread

Baked chicken strips

Nuts (cashews or peanuts)

Fruit

Gluten free goodies such as Lara Bars or Enjoy Life Snack bars

Carrots

Gluten free Potato chips, corn chips or cheese puffs.

Hope this helps. Have a nice trip.

Guest j_mommy

I have not traveled yet gluten free but have traveled when I was a gluten eater. I have found that if you call the airline they are really good about answering your questions. My son had some breathing issues the last time we flew and required some special things. I wasn't sure if they were air travel "legal" so I called and they told me everything I needed to do to make them "legal". I would definelty have a dr's note saying it is medically necassary. Hope this helps!!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Glutino pretzels are very good and not too crunchy

If you got those fruit and veggie packs with dip she may like it, kids love to dip things.

Karen B. Explorer

When I traveled last, I actually did have to show the letter from my doc to explain the food stash and I put a copy in the extra bag I checked with the food stash for the hotel (leave the bag unlocked). Mainly I took tostada shells, refried beans, foil packs of chicken and tuna, deli packs of mayo and relish (for tuna salad) and Nut-Thin crackers. Also, a jar of peanut butter and a package of MiDel gluten-free Ginger snaps.

These weren't out at the time, but have you tried the Jif-to-go cups of peanut butter?

Open Original Shared Link

I love them with apple slices for a snack or lunch at my desk. Seems like peanut butter, apples and MiDel gluten-free animal crackers would travel well. Maybe some vienna sausages?

One thing I love about Chebe rolls is they travel well. If you shape them into bread sticks, a toddler could hold them in their hand to eat. Toddlers probably wouldn't like my favorite cheese with them (parmesan) but I've found if you make Chebe rolls with fat free cream cheese and a tablespoon of powdered sugar, they taste like little white bread rolls. I like them for little PB&Js. It has to be the fat free cream cheese -- it has zantham gum in it that helps the Chebe hold it's shape and not go hollow. Make sure you let the Chebe "breathe" overnight by wrapping them in something like a tea towel and letting them air. I put mine in the microwave overnight (wrapped in a towel) because I have curious cats.

Eriella Explorer

I would be highly surprised if you had a problem, especially with a doctor's note. I flew from NY to London right after the whole water bottle scare with more liquid medicines and inhalers than any one person should be prescribed (I was studying abroad and had pneumonia and my doctors needed to kill it so I wouldn't have to battle with socialized health care). As long as you have a note saying that it is medically necessary, you SHOULD be fine. That said, airline officials can get on ego trips and/or discover new rules. The approach that I have found to be most effective at preventing this is to dress nicely, be polite, and don't ask, just do. Don't ask them "Can I bring my blue ice?," instead go through security, and if asked, say"here is the note authorizing the ice for medical problems". Keep in mind that the worst problem is that you have to throw it away. If you do, go immediately to guest relations, say that you have a celiac child who needs perishable food and your ice packs were taken away and ask how they can help you out. They should be willing to help you.

Phyllis28 Apprentice
. That said, airline officials can get on ego trips and/or discover new rules. The approach that I have found to be most effective at preventing this is to dress nicely, be polite, and don't ask, just do. Don't ask them "Can I bring my blue ice?," instead go through security, and if asked, say"here is the note authorizing the ice for medical problems".

I agree with Eriella, I simply let my blue ice go through security without comment. So far I have simply been able to pick up my carry on luggage after it goes through the scanner and be on my way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mrsnj91 Explorer

Thanks guys! That helped relieve my mind some. So, 1st step is to get a dr note and make copies. I was going to use a small soft shell cooler. That would be ok?

And Karen, when you sent your food through check in, did you use icepacks in that? I was debaiting if I should just do icepacks or if I should look into dry ice. And if I should send it down via FedX over night or just check it in with us.

Jestgar Rising Star
And Karen, when you sent your food through check in, did you use icepacks in that? I was debaiting if I should just do icepacks or if I should look into dry ice. And if I should send it down via FedX over night or just check it in with us.

Dry ice is technically a dangerous substance and would be more trouble than it's worth to get on an airplane. You could get some dry ice to put in a cooler and use that to freeze your ice packs. They'll be much, much colder than if you put them in your freezer (-80C vs -1C).

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I looked into dry ice also and I agree with Jestgar it was way too much trouble. I do pack food in my check in luggage. If it needs to be kept cold I freeze the food and put pack it in a soft sided lunch box with blue ice.

When I am traveling by air I follow the rule if I can't afford to loose it I carry it on. I now have to check some of my cold food and food with liquid (soup) food because of the new regulations, but I try to carry all the rest with me. I have never had my luggage lost or delayed but it can happen. Make sure all check-in luggage is identifed. I have my cell phone number on my tags.

I have never tried FedExing food so I can't tell you putting the food in the check-in baggage or FedExing is best. You might consider spliting the food and doing both.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Another option is to look into a Whole Foods market in Orlando, maybe some other healthfood stores. Get on map qwest and see if they are close enough to stop there when you arrive to resupply for the trip to Disney. We went to Disney recently and had a great gluten-free and allergy reaction free time!!! Gotta love Disney!

If you don't want to stand out too much with a big cooler in the airport, you could buy one of the new Tote style coolers. They look like a stylish beach tote, but it is a fully lined soft sided cooler.

FYI: If at all possible, bring your own stroller to Disney. The ones the rent are not all that comfy for the kids.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've traveled long distances with just bags of frozen veggies in a cooler in place of ice packs and everything stayed cold just fine. I also have a cooler called a Fridge to Go - you put the whole thing in the freezer and it stays cold for 8 hours. It does have built-in ice packs so I don't know if it would be allowed, but maybe. Other than that you can look into battery operated coolers. I've never seen one but I've heard they do exist.

Getting to a grocery store when you get there is a good suggestion too. It's much less of a hassle if you only have to worry about food for the flight :)

steveindenver Contributor

I traveled last month and had a ziploc bag full of frozen ham, turkey breast and cheese and it wasn't even an issue. By the time we reached Orlando (our layover) it was chilled just enough to eat and not warm at all! Don't stress - traveling can be done with snacks & food. I've even taken a small thing of peanut butter on the plane in a tupperware container - nothing was said.

Trail mix is my staple too. If you have a Costco, their Kirkland brand is safe and comes either in a large bag, or a box of smaller bags (I can't remember how many small travel size bags come in the box).

And I'm with the others - don't ask Security, as that gives them the power trip they think they're on. Just run it through the x-ray machine, don't think twice about it and deal with it IF it becomes an issue, not when.

Safe travels!

mrsnj91 Explorer

Thanks guys! You are awesome!

*Get drs note

*Use ice packs

*Act like you know what you are doing! :rolleyes:

GREAT! That was a big help. Now to decide to check it or send it FedX.

Oh and I just bought the best stroller! So excited. It folds like an umbrella but is has a bit more bang to it. AND it was on sale! Even better! LOL!

There is a WHole Foods down there but I am not sure how close it is to Disney. I don't know the area at all. We are doing the magic express so we won't have access to a car. So I am not so sure how easy that will be to get to there.

mrsnj91 Explorer

Oh....and I tend to freeze everything for Delaney since she doesn't eat it all fast enough but does anyone know if Gluten Free Panty Fav. Sandwich bread has to be frozen or cold once made?

Karen B. Explorer
Thanks guys! That helped relieve my mind some. So, 1st step is to get a dr note and make copies. I was going to use a small soft shell cooler. That would be ok?

I checked one bag full of non-perishables (and a can opener and some plasticware). I carried onto the plane a softsided "six-pack" size cooler with blue ice in it. That ran through the security scanner just fine. I don't think I'd take one of the coolers that uses batteries, anything with wires might look too "interesting" on the scanners. If you can get one of those 2 compartment coolers, it might stay colder if you don't open one side until later.

I don't know if your child tends toward sinus congestion, but I've been on planes where the pressure change was so painful to a child, they screamed the whole flight. If that might be an issue, ask your doc. A co-worker of mine said she always takes children's Benedryl with her in case there's a problem and she flys with her kids all the time. (They aren't Celiac, just have sinus problems).

I don't know if this will pan out or not, but I'd bet the local Celiacs could tell you good food sources and restaurants in the area. Looking at national contacts, I found the following.

FLORIDA

Orlando:

Gluten Intolerance Group

Karen B. Explorer

I just found this on Google, you may have seen it...

Something else I found on the net that agrees with an article I saw awhile back...

QUESTION:

We are coming to Disneyland Florida in July and have a 5-year-old son who has Celiac Disease. Can you provide any information on US producers / brands of Gluten Free products or any addresses /e-mail addresses I could contact for stock lists of those products in the Orlando/Disneyland area.

Many thanks in anticipation.

ANSWER:

I have attached a document that lists manufacturers of gluten free products available in the US, but am not aware of what is available in Florida as I live in Minnesota. I e-mailed Disney regarding your request for gluten free foods available at Disney World in Orlando Florida, but have not received a response yet. Will forward e-mail from Disney as soon as I receive it, but am unaware of your vacation dates in the US. Would suggest you ask to speak to a Disney World customer service person when you arrive and explain your needs. Also, would suggest you look in local pharmacy or grocery stores (special diet section) for gluten free foods in addition to bringing some non-perishable gluten free foods from your home in the UK.

Just received a call from Shawn in Guest Communications at Disney World in Orlando, Florida who offered the following information. There may not be many foods without gluten available at the counter service throughout the park as the foods in these stands are frozen, prepared. Instead, Shawn suggested your best service would be at full service restaurants. He spoke to executive chefs at their full service restaurants who said that while there was no special listing of menu items that are gluten free, there are vegetable and fruit plates available. Ask to talk to the chef at any restaurant who will be thrilled to come out and speak to you about what you about what your son would eat on a gluten free diet. You may also contact the restaurant manager. Shawn suggested you contact the restaurant a day ahead of time and they could make gluten free pancakes, waffles or bread for your son's breakfast. If you would like to bring some gluten free foods into Disney World, just explain to guest relations when you enter that your son is on a gluten free diet. Shawn stated that Disney World would do whatever it takes to accommodate guests on special diets.

Shawn said that Disney World restaurants buy gluten free flour at Chamberlains Natural Food Products in Orlando. Hope this information makes your visit to Disney World a lot more fun!

Archived