7 replies to this topic

#1 jaycee30

jaycee30

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:35 PM

Well, I've decided to have a scope done and some biopsies. I had bloodwork done a couple of months ago that was only positive for AGA IGAs. One doc said no celiac, an allergist said possibly celiac and I went gluten-free anyway. It has helped, but every couple of weeks, I am still getting stomach trouble that puts me out of work at times and DEFINITELY subtracts from my life. So I made an appointment with a GI, saw her today, and Tuesday I'm going to have a scope/biopsy done.

I think I have a really good chance of a negative biopsy as I've been completely gluten-free for a couple of months and nearly gluten-free (due to other allergies) for over a year. I explained to the doctor, who is wonderful, that regrdless of biopsy results, I'm staying gluten-free...no matter what tests show, I know I get sick from wheat, etc. But I really want to check and make sure its nothing else, if that makes any sense. She understands and supports that, thank goodness. She is going to take several samples from my upper GI, check as far as she can go and also take stomach/esophegus (sp?) samples. I asked her to PLEASE PLEASE check everything she can "while she's in there"!

Anyway, please wish me luck. I am absolutely terrified of having this done (my personal worse fear is choking, being unable to breathe, etc), but I've read from so many of you that its not bad, that I'm just going to do it.
Ttg 0.9 (negative) AGA IGG 8.4 (negative) AGA IGA 36.1 (positive) Finally DX'd gluten intolerant 8/26/04

York Lab food sensitivity test confirmed Gluten intolerant as well as milk, soy, yeast, barley, wheat, tomatos and peppercorn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:47 PM

Good luck to you, Jaycee! I don't know if you've had the endoscopy before, but it's not bad at all. Weird to think that someone will put a tube down your throat, but most don't remember much from the procedure due to the drugs they give.

Always a great idea to be pro-active about your health! I hope the test offers you some conclusive results.

Gretchen

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

Good luck, jaycee.

Try not to worry about the biopsy, cause once it's over, you'll realize that it isn't so bad. About the fear of not being able to breathe, try to remember that when you're going about your everyday activities, you probably breathe mostly through your nose, anyway. Also, this has been performed thousands of times on such a variety of people who haven't had problems with the procedure. Furthermore, they will probably attach a number of sticky pads with wires attached to them to your body (they put about four on me, mostly around the upper cheast area). They use these to constantly make sure that you're all right. Therefore, if you had difficulty breathing, they would see right away that heart rates would go crazy or whatever.

Once again, good luck. You'll be fine.

Best Wishes,
celiac3270

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:34 PM

Good Luck from Canada!

I can remember the last time I had that done, they didn't even use drugs, they just sprayed my throat with something that made it numb. The gagging feeling only lasted a few seconds, then you can relax.... I imagine that now that they give drugs, it would make it that much more tolerable....

Good Luck! I will be thinking of you on Tuesday......

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:45 PM

It will be easy. The worst thing was the numbing spray. That stuff tasted like spray paint smells, and I thought it was going to trigger an asthma attack. That is about all I remember. My endo was to look for ulcers, but the doc found inflammationa dn redness, so he biopsied it and found celiac. I had previously been diet-diagnosed. I have been gluten-free since Feb 14, and the endo was Sep 15, so there is a possibility that you still might have damage. I agree that your doc should look for everything possible while she is in there! It is your health, take charge!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:16 PM

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

AWWW! I hope it goes well and wish you so much luck and will think good thouhts for you. Just be calm and it will be over with in no time!

#8 jaycee30

jaycee30

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:55 PM

Wheeeee! Well, its over and all the fuss was for nothing. Thank you all for your support...........it really helped.

One bad note, a medicine I take for MS made the sedative that they give for the scope non-effective for the most part. 4 times the regular dose and I was still awake, so they just went ahead. But, all in all, it wasn't bad (although when it wore off a little bit I was just in tears for some reason).

I've got the pictures....first, normal stomach esophegus (sp?) and small intestine. No ulcers, no inflammation, everything looks great. They took biopsies throughout and that will be back in about a week, but the only thing that the doc thinks will show up is celiac. (nothing terrifying in my stomach like cancer or anything, which was a real fear of mine). She also understands that I've been gluten-free for 2 months, nearly gluten-free for over a year, the biopsy may be normal but can NOT be used to rule out celiacs.

So, I'll let you know what we find...........thanks again!

Jen
Ttg 0.9 (negative) AGA IGG 8.4 (negative) AGA IGA 36.1 (positive) Finally DX'd gluten intolerant 8/26/04

York Lab food sensitivity test confirmed Gluten intolerant as well as milk, soy, yeast, barley, wheat, tomatos and peppercorn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: