Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dove Ice Cream Bars

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the Dove dark chocolate ice cream bars are gluten free?

Ads by Google:

If these are the ingredients:

CREAM, SKIM MILK, MILK, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, CAROB BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, EGG YOLKS, CARRAGEENAN, BETA CAROTENE. COATING: SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS), COCONUT OIL, PALM OIL.

I would consider it safe.

Thank you for your replies. I always read the ingredients, but I'm still trying to learn them all. I just was in the mood for one.

Mmmmm... love those! (Actually I love any ice cream - hehe).

Me too, but since my favorite which is Stroh's Caramel Nut Cluster can't guarantee CC, I've sort of been eating Edy's. I just don't like it as well.

Those particular one's probably are, but I'm 99% sure my wife bought me a Dove flavor recently that wasn't. Had Malt Flavoring (often to thing to watch for in Ice cream and other sweets.)

She is pretty careful when shopping, lucky me, so often I don't even double check if it makes it on my gluten free shelf, or the fridge (which is entirely gluten free except for bread and salad dressings). For whatever reason I checked, and was glad I did!

Geoff

Good to know that. I'm hooked on the dark chocolate covered vanilla ones. I didn't see malt flavoring on the list of ingredients.

If these are the ingredients:

CREAM, SKIM MILK, MILK, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, CAROB BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, EGG YOLKS, CARRAGEENAN, BETA CAROTENE. COATING: SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS), COCONUT OIL, PALM OIL.

I would consider it safe.

I would not consider it safe, as chocolate can easily have undeclared barely malt (think of the old labeling on Lindt chocolate). Since barley is not one of the "Big Eight" allergens, it's not required to be disclosed if present in any amount, as wheat is.

However, Dove is made by M & M/Mars which does have a policy of declaring gluten on its labels. Knowing this, I would eat it.

But I won't consider any chocolate safe without resolving the labeling/barley malt issue.

If you never ate chocolate with barley malt in it keep in mind that it has a distinctive flavor - there's a underlying grain flavor in the chocolate so if you get malted chocolate by error keep that in mind. I noticed German chocolates use the barley additive.