This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Raynaud's Syndrome & Celiac

GEF

GEF Explorer

I mentioned to my doctor today that I have always had cold hands and feet and if I go swimming in cold water that my feet cramp horribly... I even have to wear socks to bed or my feet cramp. He mentioned the possibility of Raynaud's Syndrome. Truly, I'm not very well insulated and I'm tall... I'm sure it could just be poor circulation to the extremities, but now I'm curious. I did a web-search to see the relation to celiac, but every article and mention of it was in a medical journal and required $25 to view it. <_< Obviously there is investigation on the relationship, but I can't access it. Anyone know anything or does anyone have Raynauds?

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Gretchen

I have Raynauds too. I noticed the problem earlier this year but I just thought it was because I had lost so much weight but it wasn't. It got so bad at work I had to stop wearing sandles and short sleeves shirts, now I wear long sleeve and have a jacket at work. THe pain gets so bad in my hands that I have to run warm water over them.

FreyaUSA Contributor

Ugh, now you're making me worried. I'd never heard of this, though I've always joked about how cold my hands and feet are. But over the last two years, it's gotten so bad I'll take a very hot shower 2-3xs a day just to warm up. Last winter was so bad my husband started talking about how getting a hot tub would lower our water bill. (And I'm always running my hands in hot water, it's my poor feet that drive me to the shower.)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Freya, With that sort of cold in the extremeties, it's definitely worth talking to a doctor to rule out circulation and other problems. Good luck!

GEF Explorer

Don't worry, Freya... but like Tiffany said, I'd surely talk with your doctor about it. Everytime I mention cold intolerance, they want to test my thyroid (which isn't a problem for me). Your doctor will probably want to test this. I always thought I was more cold than most because of my lack of insulation and because I have long fingers and feet :lol: , but it had to be over the last few years that it's gotten worse where I had never had feet cramps before. If there is an ounce of chill in the air, my hands go cold and get stiff. Just goes to show you that things we think are normal sometimes are things we should really be talking with our doctors about just to be sure.

If any of you run across any articles (that you don't have to pay for) on the celiac/raynaud's relationship, I'd so like to read.

Gretchen

red345 Apprentice

--

darlindeb25 Collaborator

i too have Raynauds and i never thought about a connection with celiacs :unsure: since going gluten free i have not noticed the symptoms like i used to--one or two of my fingers would feel cold, then they would turn purple and eventually white as a ghost and i used to wrap my hand in a heating pad to warm it up--my feet are cold often and i have always said that if your feet are cold, then all of you is and if you can keep them warm, then you are warm--i dont think my feet have been effects as much as my hands--i also have been diagnosed with carpal tunnell and when a doctor told me that my toes were going to sleep because of the carpal tunnell, i was like :P right, but they say the nerves run from your hands up through your shoulders down your back and legs to your feet--i get lumps in my shoulders when my hands are acting up--my toes have gone to sleep in a long time--hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_< deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
JaneC Newbie

I have Raynauds and Carpel Tunnel. I had not been able to go outside in winter for more than a few minutes without a lot of pain in my hands and feet. Of course, the Raynauds makes the Carpel Tunnel worse. Since I had slightly high blood pressure, my doctor has put me on a minimum dose of high blood pressure medication and it has made a BIG difference. I still feel cold in general and have cold hands and feet. But my hands and feet do not change color and they don't get painful as fast. Those of you who have these problems may want to ask your doctors about this solution. A minimal dose can make a big difference and if I do not take the medication for a short time, the symptoms come right back. Good luck to you. :)

aaascr Apprentice

Gretchen:

You mentioned that your feet cramp - I have Raynaud's, but during my onset

of celiac disease I got sit-down-crying-holding-your-feet cramps. Once my body was able

to take in nutrients again, specifically potassium, the cramps eventually subsided., I still have cold feet (and wear socks to bed). Maybe check on nutrient/mineral levels?

aa

aaascr Apprentice

(PS) there is a website - raynauds.org - not a whole lot of info

but some to get you started.

aa

terri Contributor

I am so glad you brought this up! Since going gluten-free my hands will sometimes turn almost purple, usually when I'm doing dishes, but often it just happens. When I type on the keyboard, like right now, they get so cold I can't bear it. And yes, they are very pale. I googled red palms and got "liver disease". Great. They get real cold driving also. I don't know weather it is poor circulation or what, but I have no problem with my other extremities. My feet and legs don't cramp, nor does my neck. It's my hands and so badly. Right now I have 2 white fingers and one real red.. The other hand ( the left) is all red. Any ideas? My nose is cold too and I don't even know how to bark!

red345 Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

Don't go panicking about this. There are plenty of studies that contradict this theory. Regardless, whether you're talkinga bout PBC, Celiac, or Raynaud's/Lupus, they are all just part of the bigger picture, trust me. No need for panic whatsoever.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Interesting...

I don't have Raynaud's Syndrome but I am cold almost all the time. My feet, legs, and hands are the worst. I have to litterally run to a heater to warm up sometimes because I get so cold. It almost feels like my legs/toes/hands are on the verge of frostbite or something :unsure:

And if I get cold from being outside, it takes me forever to warm up. I usually have to find a heater and stand in front of it for 5 minutes.

I thought I was always cold because I am thin, but maybe there is more to it?

red345 Apprentice

I should add that PBC is yet another that can be connected to the Mitochondria. All of these diseases, be it Celiac, PBC, Lupus-everything you can imagine when it comes to these symptoms, can be traced back to Mitochondrial insufficiency.

While PBC does have a direct connection to the flow of liver bile, all of these conditions involve one sound principal-lack of oxygen throughout the body (AKA-"Acidity"). Another condition that is highly similar to PBC is chronic autoimmune Hepatitis (Do your bouts of all of these symptoms come and go?). I knew all of this months ago through my research, but I just don't find any of it to be relevant.

There are two sound principles one must always remember in regards to this health crisis in America-

1)Lack of oxygen throughout the body facilitates for disease 100% of the time.

2)Acids within the confines of the digestive tract are what you want to have because they kill off bacterias/fungi, etc. But once there is damage to any layer at any point within the digestive tract, there is a chance those acids may escape into the bloodstream, and there is the birth of disease.

I believe it truly is that simple.

Archived