This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Appetite Suppressants

SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I've always had a problem with nightime eating, I just could snack from 5-mindnight and never stop! I combated this pre-gluten-free with these little toosie roll things with Appetite Suppressants in them or dexatrim. Scince going gluten-free I have stopped both (The candies are not gluten-free, and still not sure about the dexatrim!) I dont' want anything that has a stimulant, so no trimspa or anything. I don't need energy, just something to curb the appittie! It's gotten so much worse scince going gluten-free, becasue i never feel full because I don't eat the breads and now the dairy.

Anyone know of a gluten-free Appetite Suppressant?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

don't know, but i'd love to hear if you find anything!!

Karen B. Explorer
I've always had a problem with nightime eating, I just could snack from 5-mindnight and never stop! I combated this pre-gluten-free with these little toosie roll things with Appetite Suppressants in them or dexatrim. Scince going gluten-free I have stopped both (The candies are not gluten-free, and still not sure about the dexatrim!) I dont' want anything that has a stimulant, so no trimspa or anything. I don't need energy, just something to curb the appittie! It's gotten so much worse scince going gluten-free, becasue i never feel full because I don't eat the breads and now the dairy.

When my hubby had to go on an "OhMiGawd!" diet (chol. 385, trigly. 980) his dietician set a target he had to hit every day of healthy fat consumption. If he didn't eat that amount of healthy fats by bedtime, he would eat Benecol on crackers just to meet his target. She said that fats surpress the appetite because they take longer to digest and keep you from feeling hungry. He dropped 60 lobs. in 6 months following her advice (guys are disgustingly good at dropping weight). Walnuts were one of his favorite snacks.

I ran across this same type of info today while net-surfing at lunch. Hope it helps...

Open Original Shared Link

QUOTE:Avoid hunger.

Hunger is one of your body

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
When my hubby had to go on an "OhMiGawd!" diet (chol. 385, trigly. 980) his dietician set a target he had to hit every day of healthy fat consumption. If he didn't eat that amount of healthy fats by bedtime, he would eat Benecol on crackers just to meet his target. She said that fats surpress the appetite because they take longer to digest and keep you from feeling hungry. He dropped 60 lobs. in 6 months following her advice (guys are disgustingly good at dropping weight). Walnuts were one of his favorite snacks.

I ran across this same type of info today while net-surfing at lunch. Hope it helps...

Open Original Shared Link

QUOTE:Avoid hunger.

Hunger is one of your body

Coltrane Newbie

I really think you need to look at your whole diet. For Sunday, you have a relatively fatty breakfast w/ almost no carbs. Then, you barely eat anything until dinner. YOu are hungry at night because you don't eat much all day (if this is indicitive of your normal diet).

For breakfast, try eggs, turkey sausage, and a piece of fruit. This will start your day w/ some protein and good carbs.

Then, you really should eat something more for lunch. Try a salad w/ ham or a grilled chicken breast. Use a mixture of 1 tbs. olive oil and 1 tbs. flaxseed oil for a dressing. Both of these will help give you some healthy fats. The lettuce in the salad will again provide you with some good carbs.

For dinner, just eat something sensible that has some protein in it.

For snacking (even at night), choose nuts. Nuts are filled w/ healthy fats and are also calorie dense. This will help fill you up. Also, if you can eat dairy, throw some fruit in yogurt or cottage cheese.

Coltrane

See, I allready eat a great deal of fat.. take Sunday...

Breakfast (ok lunch by the time I got up): Bacon and Cheezy eggs

Midafternoon Snack: Pickles

Dinner: 4 Tacos, Mexican rice, refried beans with cheese. Tortilla Chips, Salsa.

After dinner munches: Soy Nuts, Glutino Crackers and cheese, Chocolate covered raisins, lunchmeat ham. And then as climbing in bed... I had another pickle craving! I resisited because the boyfriend dosen't like pickles in bed.

Yesterday I ate a whole bag of potatoe chips!

I just want something to tell my brain that after dinner, it needs no more food.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Boy, I can relate to the nighttime munchies. I've been trying to follow a low carb diet (somewhat successful but could improve)

One thing I noticed about your dinner - it was way high in simple carbs - taco shells, rice, beans, chips, and very little good carbs like veggies and salad stuff. I'm thinking that the high simple carbs late in the day might be triggering your hunger/cravings.

And I agree, you migh find it helpful to eat more at lunch and even mid-afternoon snack, always with protein/fats and low in starches. (i.e., celery sticks with nut butter on them)

I make a blended veggie drink that really cuts the hunger. Cut up several raw veggis (carrots, celery, tomato, zucchini, cucumber, etc.) that would equal about one good-sized serving. Put in blender with about a half cup water and blend until mostly liquid. You can make a larger batch and keep in a glass jar in the fridge to have for later on in the day. You can add stevia to sweeten, and sometimes I like to put a little vinegar and oil in it - like a liquid salad.

Nyn Newbie

Since you've stated you don't want any stimulates, I can't think of anything Rx to suggest. All prescript suppressants either have stimulant or negative bathroom side effects.

Protein would be your best bet - increase your protein and/or fiber. Eating every couple of hours will help with blood sugar and the resulting hunger that happens after a sugar spike. If you eat some protein and/or fiber with every carb, you will stay full longer in most cases. I don't even eat fruit anymomre by itself, I always eat a cheese stick or couple of almonds to keep from getting that sugar boost, even if it is natural.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Thanks for the input!

Unfortuantly, at this point, veggies are a no go. If I eat them they have to be very well cooked (ick) or small % of meal (I can have lettuce on tacos, but can't eat a salad). From what I understand that should get better as my intestine heals. Nuts have a tendancy to do the same thing, but they just don't get digested... veggies want out! I'm allergic to Cantalope and Honeydew... but I try to eat other fruit, but other than bananas, it's rare.

I'm trying really hard to figure out the Whole Dairy Issue I have also... I and 85% sure it's lactose.... Lactaid improves my problems to belly ache, no bathroom problems. I'm on day 5 testing my lactaid and still confused as hell. Bah...

Breakfast on a work day is usally banana and coffee (on the go), anything more than that and I'm later than my usual 20 minutes to work. At work I eat what ever I can... if i remember lunch I have rice noodle bowls or left overs, if not I get hard boiled eggs and lunch meat at the grocery store down the road. I usally eat "Mary's gone crackers" or chips or gluten-free cookies in the afternoon. Dinner usally meat and potaoes or rice. I occsionally have green beans or brussle sprouts with dinner.

I do take a multi-vitamin daily so I get my vitamins from veggies I aint eatin.

I'm thinking I need a dietitian and a personal chef. :(

Karen B. Explorer
See, I allready eat a great deal of fat.. take Sunday...

Breakfast (ok lunch by the time I got up): Bacon and Cheezy eggs

Midafternoon Snack: Pickles

Dinner: 4 Tacos, Mexican rice, refried beans with cheese. Tortilla Chips, Salsa.

After dinner munches: Soy Nuts, Glutino Crackers and cheese, Chocolate covered raisins, lunchmeat ham. And then as climbing in bed... I had another pickle craving! I resisited because the boyfriend dosen't like pickles in bed.

Yesterday I ate a whole bag of potatoe chips!

I just want something to tell my brain that after dinner, it needs no more food.

The first thing I noticed here is a lack of healthy fats. My hubby's favorite was guacamole tostadas because avocados are very high in healthy fats. Although you might enjoy one of our favorite meals -- grilled salmon tacos with black bean-corn salsa and guacamole, filling and healthy. If you can eat raw mushrooms, they make a good low cal dipper.

But the biggest thing I'd do is start eating small somethings throughout the day. If all I had for lunch was pickles, I'd be starving at night.

I don't know if it'd work for you, but I took a Namaste Spice Cake mix and added 4 cups of shredded carrots, 4 cups of walnuts and 1/2 cup of ground flax seed. I wanted to make a healthy, high fiber muffin. It increased the recipe yield from 2 dozen to 3 dozen but I find 1 or at the most 2 muffins satisfies my munchies and they last for a week off refrigeration. Another old diet standby is a spoonful of peanut butter. You can't eat it fast so it forces you to slow down. Hope some of these ideas help.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
The first thing I noticed here is a lack of healthy fats. My hubby's favorite was guacamole tostadas because avocados are very high in healthy fats. Although you might enjoy one of our favorite meals -- grilled salmon tacos with black bean-corn salsa and guacamole, filling and healthy. If you can eat raw mushrooms, they make a good low cal dipper.

But the biggest thing I'd do is start eating small somethings throughout the day. If all I had for lunch was pickles, I'd be starving at night.

I don't know if it'd work for you, but I took a Namaste Spice Cake mix and added 4 cups of shredded carrots, 4 cups of walnuts and 1/2 cup of ground flax seed. I wanted to make a healthy, high fiber muffin. It increased the recipe yield from 2 dozen to 3 dozen but I find 1 or at the most 2 muffins satisfies my munchies and they last for a week off refrigeration. Another old diet standby is a spoonful of peanut butter. You can't eat it fast so it forces you to slow down. Hope some of these ideas help.

Actually, someone else reccomended that Namaste Spice cake to me before, basically becasue it tastes good, not so much to add veggies. I will have to try that... I don't get much time to cook, probally a another problem I have when it comes to cooking right.

I've never eaten salmon, don't know how to buy or how to cook it. I probally should see about that. Not a big fan of guacamole, raw mushrooms sound good. They probally will be accepted by my tummy.

I'm going to buy some peanut butter tomorrow, see how that works.

Karen B. Explorer
Actually, someone else reccomended that Namaste Spice cake to me before, basically becasue it tastes good, not so much to add veggies. I will have to try that... I don't get much time to cook, probally a another problem I have when it comes to cooking right.

I've never eaten salmon, don't know how to buy or how to cook it. I probally should see about that. Not a big fan of guacamole, raw mushrooms sound good. They probally will be accepted by my tummy.

I'm going to buy some peanut butter tomorrow, see how that works.

The carrot cake version of the Namaste spice cake is so tasty the guys I work with ask me to make it for birthdays instead of gourmet store bought cakes. It's really good. By the time I add all the stuff to make my muffins, there's just enough batter to hold it together.

If the black bean-corn salsa sounds good, you can make the soft tacos with grilled chicken instead of salmon. I make the salsa by dumping a can of beans + a can of corn + a jar of salsa in the colander until it quits dripping. It's almost like a relish, but it really sparks up soft tacos.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
The carrot cake version of the Namaste spice cake is so tasty the guys I work with ask me to make it for birthdays instead of gourmet store bought cakes. It's really good. By the time I add all the stuff to make my muffins, there's just enough batter to hold it together.

If the black bean-corn salsa sounds good, you can make the soft tacos with grilled chicken instead of salmon. I make the salsa by dumping a can of beans + a can of corn + a jar of salsa in the colander until it quits dripping. It's almost like a relish, but it really sparks up soft tacos.

I can't do corn :( Anything else I could sub with? I wonder if garbanzo beans would work....

I love grilled chicken tacos...

• 2 weeks later...
elye Community Regular

How much water do you take in? There really is something to the old adage about eight glasses a day--water is essential for all our bodily functions, and many people are functionally dehydrated. Water is an appetite suppressant, as well. Sometimes we are looking around for food when we are really thirsty, not hungry. Take your weight in pounds, divide by two, and that's the number of ounces of water you should be consuming a day. Some of that can be as clear herbal tea; I squeeze lemon into a couple of glasses at lunchtime. Most people who have taken weight off and kept it off have two things in common: they exercise daily, and they drink their H 20! :)

Karen B. Explorer
I can't do corn :( Anything else I could sub with? I wonder if garbanzo beans would work....

I love grilled chicken tacos...

Basically, the corn adds a sweet cruncy note to complement the creamy taste of the black beans and the zip of the salsa. I'd try substituting minced jicama, shredded carrots, maybe even diced apple. It may not be textbook Mexican, but neither is pineapple salsa and I though that was pretty good.

rlm90 Newbie

I used to have the exact same problems as you! I would eat constantly. And I mean CONSTANTLY! Every chance I got... I started taking this medication about 8 months ago, for ADD problems, and it suppressed my apptiete completely. It worked wonders for that. I've lost about 50 pounds since then, and they don't have any nasty side effects I didn't think..other than I pretty much had to force myself to eat because I didn't get hungry often. Apperently they use the same meds I'm taking for weight loss as well..so it was deffinately a plus.

RiceGuy Collaborator

As I see it, constant hunger means your body NEEDS something. The total amount of food may satisfy the stomach, but the body will still be deficient in nutrients if you aren't absorbing them well enough, or if the food isn't of sufficient nutritional value. Simply suppressing this appetite is like putting masking tape over the gas gage on your car - you can't tell when you're tank is low, and run the risk of running out of gas.

Malabsorption means your body receives less nutrients from a given food than it otherwise would. So yes, you must eat more to compensate. At least until you're absorbing enough to satisfy the body's requirements. A balanced diet becomes all-the-more important.

I have found quite a noticeable improvement with a magnesium supplement (powdered form). I find I'm less hungry, have more energy, etc. I also put stuff through the blender to make a puree, to aid the gut in breaking it down. I've also found gluten-free breads help too. Not just with hunger, but thirst. I'm not totally certain as to why. I bake all my own stuff.

I'm not sure if it would help you, but coconut oil is great, and many on the board report good results for various issues.

• 4 weeks later...
CMCM Rising Star

Here's the trick to appetite supression: VERY LOW CARBS.

I was the carb queen, let me tell you. I could eat 10 Krispy Kremes in one sitting. A box of donuts, candy bars, whatever. The more sweets and carbs I'd eat, the more I'd crave.

Several years ago before knowing about celiac disease, I did the Atkins diet for about 6 weeks. It was NOT my usual way of eating, but I stuck with it and the weight dropped off effortlessly, AND more importantly, after a couple of days my hunger just evaporated, and all carb cravings disappeared. It was like magic, and that's how I did it for 6 weeks.

Now, due to celiac disease concerns, I eat no grains. I also found that starches and beans give me problems, and therefore, most of the gluten free goodies don't agree with me AND they are horrible triggers. So I rarely eat those things either.

When I stick to lots of salads and other veggies, eat chicken/turkey and tuna type meats, don't eat dairy, no starches at all, lots of water....that's what does it.

If ANY carb/sweet type things creep into my diet it can trigger a binge. Even if I haven't had anything for days and days. Whenever I've indulged, I've made an agreement with myself to not let my indulgence go beyond that day, that indulgence. The next day it's back to my usual careful eating. That way it doesn't get out of hand.

If you want to conquer this, you really do have to come to terms with eating differently for the rest of your life. Otherwise, you won't lose the weight, simple as that. You can't do diets, they don't work. You have to change your entire way of eating and looking at food.

It has taken me 6 years of grappling with this, but I've finally ALMOST got it down. I wish I'd done it earlier, but heck, I was too busy fueling my emotions with eating. You can get a handle on this, but it takes determination, commitment, consistency and hard work. You've got to want it bad enough to do the work.

I know this sounds harsh, but this is reality. There is NO magic pill that will really do anything to help you lose weight. And most things mess you up, hype you up in bad ways. Don't look to a pill to help you get there. That will never work in the long run.

natalie Apprentice

What about a smoothie? Use fresh strawberries, banana, lactose free milk or a juice, ice cubes and drizzle a little flax seed or I use lemon fish oil ( I can't taste it at all), add some ground Lame Advertisement. They can be very filling and delicious.

• 2 months later...
motherload Newbie
I used to have the exact same problems as you! I would eat constantly. And I mean CONSTANTLY! Every chance I got... I started taking this medication about 8 months ago, for ADD problems, and it suppressed my apptiete completely. It worked wonders for that. I've lost about 50 pounds since then, and they don't have any nasty side effects I didn't think..other than I pretty much had to force myself to eat because I didn't get hungry often. Apperently they use the same meds I'm taking for weight loss as well..so it was deffinately a plus.
motherload Newbie

Would dearly love to know the name of the drug you took for ADD since it helped you. I'm getting desperate for a light at the end of this fat tunnel.

mommyagain Explorer

You definitely need to be eating more during the day, and seriously increase protein/fat and decrease carbs. I know how crazy it can be at work, but you HAVE to take the time to do it. One of my favorite quick lunches is a packet of tuna (or salmon, you can get it in the same isle as canned tuna) with a little bit of gluten-free (and preferably low-carb) salad dressing mixed in. Then, I'll top it with some shredded cheese and microwave just until the cheese starts to melt a little (usually about 30sec). It is high in protein and good fat, with minimal carbs.

Of course, you'll need to keep your own bowls and utensils in your work area if possible (or use disposables that you have maintained gluten-free).

I actually keep several packets of tuna and salmon in my desk and a bottle of salad dressing in the shared fridge. It is well marked as MINE and so far, it looks like everybody is respecting that.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Lots of good advice from everyone so far--it may seem a bit conflicting, but everybody has a valid point!

I especially agree that you need to be eating protein, healthy fat, and 3 main meals (6 half-meals is idea). Good carbs are better than junk carbs, obviously.

For myself, I find that exercise makes a HUGE difference. Can you fit in not one but 2 thirty-minute walks? Like, park 2 miles away from where you work and walk the remaining distance? Or walk around the block a few times when you get up and again when you get home from work?

Or do you work at home? Do you have kids? If they are stroller age, plop them in and GO! Or if they are older, have them get on their bikes and go while you follow at a fast walk or a mild trot.

If you have spare cash (ha ha), a treadmill or elliptical machine could be a great investment.

I am always LESS hungry when I exercise regularly, and I find that the healthy foods are much more appealing than the junk when I exercise regularly.

Good luck!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
add some ground Lame Advertisement.

What is ground Lame Advertisement??? :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I was thinking that myself, I never heard of that..

I started myself on a diet today again. I borked it up as soon as I started, forgot my banana at home this morning, had to make do with a chocolate bar. Bah..

mommyagain Explorer

DON'T GIVE UP!!!

And, don't think that you have to start a diet at the beginning of the week. I've actually find it to be easier to get started on a day OTHER than Monday! So, pretend that the chocolate breakfast never happened, and start over. Also, you may want to consider starting your day with some protein. A single banana is pure carbs and pretty easily digested at that. I know it always seems healthier to eat fruit, but you won't get hungry as fast if you get some protein and fat in there too.

Good luck!

Archived