14 replies to this topic

#1 annie-is-GF

annie-is-GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

I was diagnosed about 3-4 weeks ago and I have been gluten-free for that long. On Saturday night I had about 3 glasses of pure red wine throughout the evening. (Nothing was added to the wine, ie: no flavorings etc.) I have been having mild diarrhea, abdominal pain, fatigue and a general feeling of being unwell ever since. I know that there is no gluten in this kind of wine but I am feeling exactly like I have accidently eaten gluten. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have idea why I am experiencing this?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pedro

pedro

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi

This happen to me about 2 weeks ago, and until now I do not know what it was. It will be very intresting to see what others have to say. It would be a shame to remove yet another thing.

Thanks for your question, the answers will help me too.

Have a great day.
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.
Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006
Biopsy Negative 04/2006
Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007
Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody "Positive"
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,9)

Started gluten-free diet 03/25/2007 (This time is permanently).

One of my daugthers (Elizabeth) also have the gluten and dairy allergy. We started her in the diet, and doing excellent.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

Red wine is safe for Celiacs although some here react to the sulfites in the wine.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

Consider whether you might have sensitivities to egg or milk. Although red wines are gluten free, wine makers commonly use egg white to 'fine' or purify red wines and skim milk to 'fine' white wines. You can find some unrefined wines, but they are more expensive. Also alcohol exacerbates 'leaky gut' symptoms.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 annie-is-GF

annie-is-GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

One more thing I forgot to mention in my original post: I have also been feeling like it is hard to get a full breath in; like I am short of breath, but without any wheezing whatsoever. Like, really easily out of breath when I walk across the room or get up from sitting. It doesn't feel like an allergy, I just feel really exhausted, like the exhaustion affects my breathing.

Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

One more question that may seem silly but might solve the mystery. Were you on a date with your significant other? If so what were they eating and drinking and did you do any kissing? We can get glutened from kissing someone who is eating or drinking gluten. May not be the case for you but figured I should throw it in.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention in my original post: I have also been feeling like it is hard to get a full breath in; like I am short of breath, but without any wheezing whatsoever. Like, really easily out of breath when I walk across the room or get up from sitting. It doesn't feel like an allergy, I just feel really exhausted, like the exhaustion affects my breathing.

Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

About a week ago i drank 10-12 glasses of red wine at a wedding i dont remember being a part of. Since then i have been feeling like crap, and having trouble breathing. It feels like my intestine is swollen and keeping me from getting a good breath. I was vomitting the day after the wedding and i may have been glutened there. I think the trouble breathing is due to stomach/intestinal irritation, causing inflammation and making it hard to breath at times. As you heal, it will subside. Before i got diagnosed with celiac, i was having these same symptoms (trouble breathin,bloating,fatigue,etc), so i figure it just part of the many symptoms this disease manifests. Try not to worry about it. Youll be okay. Be patient,sometimes it takes time for these strange symptoms to subside.
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

#8 annie-is-GF

annie-is-GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

:) :)

Thanks so much! To be honest I am surprised someone had this happen to them as well... it seemed so random and unrelated to celiac so I wasn't convinced that it had anything to do with celiac. Last summer I had a lot of trouble breathing and even went to Emergency and they could find nothing wrong with me so they gave me a prescription for VALIUM. LOL.

I definitely didn't have 12 glasses of wine (wow!!) but it's still a relief to know that wine can cause problems if your gut is still healing. Thanks again for the advice.

#9 annie-is-GF

annie-is-GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

One more question that may seem silly but might solve the mystery. Were you on a date with your significant other? If so what were they eating and drinking and did you do any kissing? We can get glutened from kissing someone who is eating or drinking gluten. May not be the case for you but figured I should throw it in.

HAHA, good question! Unfortunately I was NOT on a hot date... but that is good thinking, bringing up the possibility that it may have been something else DURING my red wine drinking that may have glutened me. I shall have to think about that. :D

#10 Guest_KG in FL_*

Guest_KG in FL_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi

This happen to me about 2 weeks ago, and until now I do not know what it was. It will be very intresting to see what others have to say. It would be a shame to remove yet another thing.

Thanks for your question, the answers will help me too.

Have a great day.

I have found through much research in this subject (haha) that red wine causes the same reaction in me as gluten. I wish not as it spoils my fun! Red wine has health benefits so I still try it once in a while, but I have had to stick with a white wine. Which I faithfully do! I unfortunately feel, with my body, it's the sulfites or the alcohol, or something with the red is to blame. I will probably test this theory again soon. But mostly with white where I end up feeling OK. Unless it's more than 4 glasses of that, then back to the "glutening"! haha Sounds like this is no help but what I really feel is that alcohol mimics glutening in my body.

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

I have found through much research in this subject (haha) that red wine causes the same reaction in me as gluten. I wish not as it spoils my fun! Red wine has health benefits so I still try it once in a while, but I have had to stick with a white wine. Which I faithfully do! I unfortunately feel, with my body, it's the sulfites or the alcohol, or something with the red is to blame. I will probably test this theory again soon. But mostly with white where I end up feeling OK. Unless it's more than 4 glasses of that, then back to the "glutening"! haha Sounds like this is no help but what I really feel is that alcohol mimics glutening in my body.

You have to do whatever works for you. But, if it makes you feel better, my husband with a combination of red wine and beef, will do his morning newspaper reading in the bathroom. And, he is non-Celiac. :rolleyes: And, he would be so proud that I mentioned this.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

HAHA, good question! Unfortunately I was NOT on a hot date... but that is good thinking, bringing up the possibility that it may have been something else DURING my red wine drinking that may have glutened me. I shall have to think about that. :D

Gluten reaction can also be a delayed reaction. As an intolerance it can take as much as 3 days between injestion and tummy upset. If you are new to the diet be sure you look over the days before you got ill, not just that one. It is important that you try to eat much naturally gluten free food for the first couple months as possible. It will help you heal faster and when you add processed stuff back in it is easier to tell if CC is getting you, which is a high risk for many mainstream items.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 Guest_KG in FL_*

Guest_KG in FL_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:36 AM

Gluten reaction can also be a delayed reaction. As an intolerance it can take as much as 3 days between injestion and tummy upset. If you are new to the diet be sure you look over the days before you got ill, not just that one. It is important that you try to eat much naturally gluten free food for the first couple months as possible. It will help you heal faster and when you add processed stuff back in it is easier to tell if CC is getting you, which is a high risk for many mainstream items.

My reaction to gluten is always 3 days- 72 hours- without fail. I don't know why it works like clockwork like that, but it has for years. I know the gluten works differently for all. My 72 hour reaction helps me retrace my steps to see what might have glutened me. Now the red wine- usually 10-12 hours later?

#14 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

Here is an article about a current rulemaking considering requiring winemakers to list allergens on their labels.

http://www1.pressdem...1036/BUSINESS01

In addition to fining agents such as egg, casein or fish, wheat-based glues are sometimes used to seal wine barrels. Whether these things end up in the final products is controversial. From what I can tell, the industry says they don't show up. But then they say that there is no test for finding out if they are there or not.

If you have problems with a particular wine, you might want to avoid it. Some other wine might not bother you.

There are lists of vegan wines on the internet, if it is an animal-based fining agents that bothers you. When I have brought this issue up before, some have told me that they do sometimes react to these. All I know about the "wheat-based glue on the wine barrels" issue is that one sentence in the article.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#15 crosstalk

crosstalk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:16 AM

When I first discovered my intolerance (doctors have been of no help) and after two weeks of been gluten free it seemed like I was reacting to everything, and I hard time sorting things out and still occasionally do.

I learned that I had more than one intolerance, and also some allergies. As you may know, IgA will involve an intolerance, while IgG will involve an allergy. I found page 11 of this guide to be helpful;

http://www.gdx.net/h...ReliefGuide.pdf

You may have a yeast intolerance, which would cause a similar reaction to a glutening. Because any IgA reaction will cause the same symptoms. Though I do not think I am a celiac (I do not have the primary HLA genes but I still am gluten intolerant and have all the same symptoms) I too had a major problem with the breathing/wheezing/fatique. The area where I made progress here was (half luckily) whacking everything out of my diet that I was reacting to and my sinusitus cleared up (mostly) by surprise, Whenever I "reacted" to something my sinusitus would come back in a major way followed by fatigue. I take a store brand Claritine (antihistimine) that is cornstarch free and that would help some when I had what seemed to be an IgG reaction. I have cut all grains out of my diet. I'm glad that I did because I do think that I'm corn intolerant, and am working with a modified paleolithic (cave man) diet.

Because of this "normal breathing" I was able to sleep with much less snoring and get a more restful sleep. But it is five months out from being gluten-free and I still struggle with fatigue. I increased (and do check with a doctor on this) my sodium intake. It seemed that vitamin C helped a little too (I could just be vitamin deficient). But when the vitamin C (I was taking magnesium supplements as well) started to cause (more) Diarrhea I discontinued the vitamin C. When I feel like I'm really dragging I occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) take a glass of warm water with 1/4 of teaspoon of salt.. I think that orthostatic hypotension was affecting me. I do not know if the food alergies caused it or the other way around. But if you read that link you will instantly know more than 90% of doctors in practice. Here's another link;
http://www.pediatric...ohnshopkins.htm

It is very important to not self diagnose. But I can't help but think of all the misdiagnosis that are happening in this area. These things are completely off the map in most doctor's offices. It's astounding really. The medical profession up to this point has let me down. I continue to search for answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: