This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Celiac With Yeast Infections - Help!

terob254

terob254 Newbie

I am a new celiac, diagnosied in November 2006, after 5 hospitalizations in 3 months. I have had 4 yeast infections in the last 3 months. What's up? My gastro doctor said yeast infections are not common in celiacs. I'm beginning to think he may not be right. Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you, Terrie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Electra Enthusiast

I just happen to have been looking this one up today, because I have had unexplained itching that would not go away even with yeast infection meds for over a month now. It seems that there is a HUGE link between Celiac disease and Candidia.

Check this link out (I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but I found other info on this too)!!

Open Original Shared Link

Electra Enthusiast

Here is some more info I've found. Again I'm not sure how reliable it is.

"In extreme cases, the reaction to candida can cause other auto-immune conditions like celiac disease, thyroiditis and even rheumatoid arthritis.

In a study published in the Lancet, it was shown that candida contains protein called HWP-1 which is has a gluten like structure, and so a candida infection in the gut can cause an immune reaction to HWP-1, which can cause an allergic reaction to all gluten. Which of course means that wheat and grain product would cause an allergic reaction and potentially Celiac Disease in some."

Open Original Shared Link

terob254 Newbie
I am a new celiac, diagnosied in November 2006, after 5 hospitalizations in 3 months. I have had 4 yeast infections in the last 3 months. What's up? My gastro doctor said yeast infections are not common in celiacs. I'm beginning to think he may not be right. Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you, Terrie

Angie,

Thank you so much the info. I'm ready to try anything to help with this. It's driving me crazy having these infections so often and so close together.

Electra Enthusiast

Your very welcome. I'm not convinced that's what mine is but I have had this mild itch for over a month. It's only at the front of my lips (TMI-I know), so it's not typical of a yeast infection to me. I definitely have the discharge going on, but that's normal now UG, and it's just starting to drive me wild. I feel like I can't go out in public without a big bag to cover my privates while I itch EW GROSS!! I called the gynacologist today, but can't get in and he's suppose to call me back. I'm a little concerned about stomach cancer at this point because I've had other painful symptoms in my stomach over the last week that I can't explain and I KNOW I haven't been contaminated, because I haven't eaten anything different. I'm having back pain again, and heartburn (which I never get). Hopefully this will go away soon. If not then they might as well admit me to the looney bend lol!! Good Luck I hope you feel better soon!!

sickofit Newbie

Well, here's another one, so I think your doc is wrong. I first started with the candida diet having no idea about gluten. When that cleared up but I still could not get well I just had to start looking around. I would think that most celiacs WOULD have yeast infections because our immune system and our intestines are impaired. What are you doing for all of it?

newlyfree Rookie

I agree that your doctor is wrong - I struggled with yeast infections for years before I found out I was gluten intolerant. Now that I know, and have eliminated gluten and sugars, I'm feeling relief for the first time in a long time. I'm taking an antibiotic from Whole Foods, a multivitamin, and a veggie supplement called "Garden Veggies" that is dehydrated veggie juice (because I find it hard to fit enough veggies into my day) to clear out the yeast now that my diet isn't feeding it. I just ordered some Threelac off Amazon because I hear people have had good experiences, so I might replace my probiotics with that for a bit.

Question for Electra - you may have an intolerance to something that's coming out in your urine (sorry, gross, but...), have you started eating/drinking anything different lately?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived