This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Johnsonville Brats

Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I know I've read on several occassions that Johnsonville brats are all gluten-free - except, of course, for the beer brats. We just got a new, fancy, shiny grill :D and I had a brat today for lunch. The kind that has cheddar infused into the deliciousness of the bratwurst :wub: ...ooooooooh, but it did NOT sit well.

I don't know if I feel like I was glutened, but it definately sits in the right time frame and symptoms. First I got unbearable pains/cramps and then the D started.

All has calmed down now, which is excellent and speedy, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had a reaction to these. I even went to the fridge between trips to the bathroom (I totally washed my hands, though!!) and double checked the ingredients. Didn't see anything suspect - thoughts? Anyone else been glutened by Johnsonville?

Thanks

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I buy them all the time. But recently, I've tried to stay dairy light. To my knowledge, they are still gluten free but perhaps it's the cheese that you reacted to. Glad you feel better.

You could always trie Boars Head as all meats and cheeses are gluten free.

rumbles Newbie

I am extremely sensitive, and react to minute amounts of cross contamination that don't seem to bother most others.

I contacted Johnsonville a few weeks ago because I was reacting to their product. Initially they advised that the products that I purchased were not made on dedicated lines and that they could tell this by the package UPC, but advised that many of their products were gluten free and could not have cross contamination. After my pushing to try to find out what I need to look for (which products, which UPCs), they admitted that all of their products have potential cross contamination, that they do not have any dedicated gluten free plants, but said that they were planning on producing two products sometime in the future on dedicated lines, but could not give me a time frame.

A case of caveat emptor if you're very sensitive to cross contamination.

• 2 years later...
hihihi Newbie

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN! Thanks for posting about this.

larry mac Enthusiast

Do they have any products that do contain wheat ingredients? Ie, where would the cross contamination come from?

best regards, lm

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Do they have any products that do contain wheat ingredients? Ie, where would the cross contamination come from?

best regards, lm

They make a beer brat. They recently had a new commercial come out for it that has the most annoying jingle I have heard in a long time. That might be where the CC issue would come in.

larry mac Enthusiast
They make a beer brat...... That might be where the CC issue would come in.

OK, so let's discuss that. Beer would be a small volume ingredient. And Johnsonville makes many sausage products. I'm thinking that's a low percentage cross contamination threat. As with any food product, cross contamination (if it exist) is a hit or miss thing. Ie, it's not a constant. If it's there at all, it will sometimes be there, sometimes not. And if it's there, it will be in always changing amounts.

What will always be there, and in the same amounts, are the other ingredients. I'm guessing some people are intolerant of these ingredients.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
OK, so let's discuss that. Beer would be a small volume ingredient. And Johnsonville makes many sausage products. I'm thinking that's a low percentage cross contamination threat. As with any food product, cross contamination (if it exist) is a hit or miss thing. Ie, it's not a constant. If it's there at all, it will sometimes be there, sometimes not. And if it's there, it will be in always changing amounts.

What will always be there, and in the same amounts, are the other ingredients. I'm guessing some people are intolerant of these ingredients.

best regards, lm

They boil that particular brat in the beer to cook it (if I am even thinking of the same brand). I know I wouldn't be able to consume it. Whether it would CC other varieties I don't know. Different folks have different levels of sensitivity and whether or not to risk CC is up to them and the strength of their reaction. Of course there is also the possibility of folks reacting to something else in it, especially early in the diet when we are not yet clear on what our reactions to gluten are. Of course IMHO folks early in the diet shouldn't be eating something as heavily processed as these are anyway.

GFinDC Veteran

I had these for TG and had a reaction to them. Not sure it was gluten but something in them didn't sit right. Could just be I am not used to eating this kind of thing now, been a long time since I did.

Archived