This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Child Is Driving Me Crazy!

kathyhay

kathyhay Apprentice

He turned 2 in June, he is not diagnosed yet, we are gluten-free except for accidents. I am still nursing him because he won't wean at all. He nurses about every hour(or more often). He has been eating better since going gluten-free, and his stools are solid. But his behavior in general is just still very very clingy, and whiny, and upset all the time. He's okay when he's not with me, though. I am making sure that I am 100% gluten-free in my diet as well since I am still breastfeeding him. We did a blood draw on him at the Ped office, and he has no food allergies. But as I write, he is crying and wanting up. It's constant and driving me nuts! His nursing isn't as often as it was before going gluten-free, but it is still IMO way abnormal for a child his age. On top of this, I still haven't had my period since before I got pregnant with him. I really am getting eager to have another baby, but being anovulatory makes conceiving quite a challenge. I need to figure out a way to get him weaned, at least mostly, but without causing him severe emotional and maybe physical harm. He still nurses about every 2 hours all night long. I'm just sick of nursing a 25 pound "newborn" who really could be eating and drinking larger quantities of foods other than me. If any of you have some advice on what I could do to change my situation, I would much appreciate the input. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

hi kathy--you dont say how you came to the decision to go gluten free to begin with, is the gluten-free for you or for him--i dont want to sound harsh, but 2 yrs old is no longer a baby, that is toddler stage and should not even have a bottle, let alone be nursing and sweetie, if he is ok when you are not around then he will be fine when you are around--like the saying goes--he is telling you to jump and you are saying "how high"--you have to make him understand that he is a big boy now and can drink from a cup, use the potty, sleep in his own bed--as long as you allow him to behave this way, you are a slave to him and you dont even have time for another baby--you and he both have got to let him grow up, he isnt a baby anymore--he will be ok, you have to be tough and dont give in to him--truly, if he is ok when he isnt with you, then he will be just fine---deb

scaredparent Apprentice

I have a daughter that is very sick and my son is being tested for celiac disease but we don't know whether he has it or not yet but..... children have a unique way of test their parents and seeing how much they can get away with. When children are sick and have a lot of health problems they have a way of playing with our emotions. It sounds like tough love is going to be the way to go. Start my cutting nursing out at night. My ped. says that if they weigh over 15 lbs that they can go all night with out nursing other wise it become habit and a comfort. He needs to build comfort in something other than you. That doesn't need to be harsh to him but it does means that he needs to find a way to comfort himself may be a blanket or stuffed animal. I don't mean to sound harsh but my 7 year old was the same way and we had to practice tough love with her and we found out that she was just playing her illness up for all it was worth. Granted when kids are sick they do have special needs but they still have to grow up and be independent adults. Diets are harsh but the child who has played on our emotions has had 14 surgerys over 100 iv and now I give weekly iv infusions she has every reason to want someone to pitty her but we don't because this is something that she will have to live with the rest of her live and she has to be an adult and self sufficient one at that. I hope I haven't rambled to much but tough love is the only way to fix the nursing issues and it will be harder on you than him trust me. Try telling him mom has no milk left and you have to drink it from a cup if you want some thing to drink and then don't give in. Good Luck from a mom with experience.

Guest gillian502

Some great books to refer to on this and other parenting issues are the parenting books by the very experienced and loving Dr. William Sears. He dispells a lot of myths about parenting issues, and although "tough love" may be the answer, there are other options out there, and Dr. Sears discusses them in his many books. He has a web site out there called "ask Dr. sears" if you decide to check it out. He describes a loving and nurturing way to wean your child. Good luck to you.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm not a parent, but I know of many places where they continue nursing at the age of two. (In fact, WHO recommendations are nursing for the first two years of life.) You might look into what else is causing discomfort (like dairy or another intolerance), if there is something else causing stress in his life, or if he just needs time to psychologically get over what has happened to him so far.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( i didnt intent to sound heartless, if that's how it sounded :( i have 5 kids of my own, all grown now, the oldest is 30 and the youngest just turned 22--believe me, i have been through everything--my youngest had hip surgery at 2 !/2 yrs old, she was totally dependent on me for 8 months, in two body casts that summer and a brace--i now have 6 grandchildren--i know kids and i can tell this little guy has mommy wrapped around his little finger--she stated that he is fine when she isnt around--kids have a way of doing things like this to us--my kids were always busy, into something, didnt matter how high i put things, they found them--one summer i was in the er room so many times i was afraid they would start to think i was abusing my kids and one nurse assured me, "dont worry, your kid's stories are too good to be lies" and she laughed--they wrestled and broke thumbs, twisted ankles, one son even spray painted his face and now, some of those kids have kids doing the same things--what goes around comes around--my mom used to say, "better they be good away from you and naughty at home"--teachers always used to tell me how good and quiet my kids were ;) i asked who's kids they were talking about--i love kids and this little guy just needs to understand that mom isnt going to baby him forever and as soon as you let him turn into that terrible 2's toddler, things will get as normal as they can for a celiac child, which i believe is pretty normal-- :D deb
kathyhay Apprentice

I think the question I wanted to ask was more along the lines of good home remedies for tummy aches. I suspect that the reason he nurses so much is because his tummy hurts from his gluten intolerance. I understand that nursing is important to him, so I don't want to take that away from him completely. He is still a very young child-- if he needs his mommy he should get his mommy IMO. Maybe I should start another thread asking more specifically for home remedies for tummy aches. I happen to not believe that children have a naturally manipulative nature. I believe that they have needs that they express through the only ways they know how. I am his mom and it is my job to figure out what he really is needing-- not to just accept the pat answer that he's "manipulating me". I like to believe that I'm smarter than a 2 year old :lol: . I feel that mother really does know best, so I follow my instincts. I feel it's the right way to parent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Home remedies for tummy aches:

ginger or mint tea

coca cola (if you can get just the syrup, which is sold in a few drug stores, that's the important part)

other than that... I'd think it would depend on the cause... for me, milk (now soy milk) often helps because I'm feeling too acidic.

kathyhay Apprentice

I have been trying to wean him to some degree since he was 6 months old. When he turned 1, I visualized him nursing once or twice a day by the time he was 18 months. Trying to cut out "feedings" has been awful. When a child cries so desperately like that, you just know that something isn't right. I am going to listen to my child when he tells me he is hurting.

kathyhay Apprentice

thanks for that advice tarnalberry!

Also, if there are supplements/enzymes for little children I would appreciate that knowledge as well. I hope I didn't sound bad in my last post.

typhoontyty Newbie

Hello. My son is almost a year; and we are in the midst of trying to figure out it he has celiac or not. We are currently waiting on some lab results to figure out what to do next. Anyway; he has been a whiney, clingy kid for a few months (since starting finger foods); and I have been breastfeeding a lot. I, too, believe that he nurses a lot for 'comfort' because his tummy hurts; and the breastmilk doesn't hurt his stomach. I am SO glad I didn't listen to people in my life who told me I was doing the wrong thing by co-sleeping and letting him nurse at night; picking him up and tending to his needs when he cries, never letting him 'cry it out' to go to sleep, etc. I am glad I followed my instincts; because I beleive that for the last several months he has had terrible tummy pain. So good for you for being there for your child; he is lucky to have you for a mommy!

Some home rememdies for tummy pain: I have used Gripe Water by Baby's Bliss since he was a newborn and has had colic. I believe the Gripe Water has fennel and ginger in it and it IS gluten-free. Also Hyland's makes 'colic tablets'; a homeopathic remedy. Not sure if the Hyland's colic tablets are gluten-free though.

Hope that helps! Renee

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( i did not mean to insinuate that you are a bad mother, not my intention at all, believe me, i have been accused of spoiling my children--i had 5 babies and i rocked each one of them until they didnt want rocked anymore and i was told often, just put them in bed and let them cry to sleep--i never listened--if they wanted to be rocked to sleep and i had to struggle to get out of the chair because of their weight--oh well---i was a stay at home mom and was there for my kids 24-7, my kids never had a babysitter-----i never meant for you to torture the little guy :( --you stated that he is fine when you are not around--that is your key statement and that is why i feel the way i do about this--my daughter in law used to bring my grandson scottie to me, put him in my arms and say--here, i cant take it anymore and she would be upset when scottie would snuggle down and go to sleep--well, she was too tense and scottie was picking up on that and reacting to her--if he whimpered in my arms i would just coo to him and soon he would relax--to this day he whines and gets what he wants from her, if he whines to me, i walk away and he decides it doesnt work with grandma and follows me without whining--i understand your little guys tummy may hurt and he needs comforting, but nursing every 2 hours, 24 hrs a day is gonna wear you out and how good will you be for him then--i was worried for you as much as him--i'm sorry if i came across as a mean and gruff mommy, i'm not--i cant 2nd guess the way i raised my kids, i know i was too easy on them and now they expect me to do for them regardless of my happiness--experience is talking here, not meanness :( deb
Guest gillian502

I just wanted to applaud all the great and attentive moms on here, who don't believe as everyone else seems to believe these days, that babies are only needing attention because they are "manipulative." For some odd reason, parents around my age group (30) are really going backwards to the ideas of the 1940s and 50s, believing that detaching from the baby is what's best. It's so refreshing to see that not all of us think that way! Especially if the baby suffers from pain or an illness like Celiac, it's always best to be more attached and soothing than weaning before they are ready. I know how uncomfortable Celiac is for me, I can't even imagine how bad it must feel at times to a child!

SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

I nursed both of my children for 14 months. They both have Celiac and had lots of tummy troubles. They both were very, very clingy and whiny and cried constantly. My pleasant mother in law accused me of spoiling them and catering to their every whim - but I knew my instincts and knew that my girls were in distress. Not wanting to put them through any more testing, I decided to do an elimination diet. I found that they are not allergic, but Intolerant to dairy and soy as well. Once I figured that out, most (not all, hey they're kids:) of the whining, clingyness, and constant crying went away. It was a pretty dramatic difference. Allergy tests won't detect intolerances. Just a thought. It's not uncommon for a celiac to have other food intolerances as well. I feel your frustration. I know exactly how you're feeling. Hugs to you.

wildones Apprentice

Did you know that your diet has to TOTALLY gluten free for 3 months, for you not to be passing on gluten to your baby ? I think it is likely that he may be having problems tolerating milk proteins too (the proteins are very similar and often babies/toddlers/adults can't tolerate either protein) So you would also need to be casein free, for 3 months, also in order for your milk to be ok for him if that is the case.

I have triplets all three of whom have either celiac disease or gluten intolerance. All three of them needed to be on on elemental casein free Rx formula neocate for a while. Have you considered one of the bottles that closely simulate the breast with a formula he can tolerate ? The very frequent feeding and fussiness/clingy behavior sound to me very much like he is having problems tolerating your breastmilk but need the comfort. I think it is particularly cruel that our bodies crave the foods that we have problems tolerating :( .

One of my boys has had horrible consequences from a milk based formula that was given AGAINST my express wishes. He lost most of his intestines and spent his first 6 months in the hospital. He has chronic ongoing problems and many many consequences from undiagnosed celaic until @ a year ago. He was tested many times as a baby and a toddler, but the older tests kept showing a false negative result.

Please don't let people convince you that it is 'your fault' that you have a 'clingy' 'spoiled' boy :( . Babies and toddlers don't have a good way to let you know when they are having problems and need to be comforted. It really bugged me when everyone kept telling me I was spoiling my daughter by holding her upright and walking with her. She had SEVERE reflux and was miserable. A pH probe showed that she was having severe episodes at 3 am every night. When she woke up crying ,everyone kept telling me I was spoiling her by going in and comforting her :angry:

jjrobin Newbie

First off, at two years old, they are more then capable of going for longer peroids of time w/o food. Your son is nursing way to much, and is using you as a pacifier. You, as a Mom, need to limit your son's nursing. I too, am not tryin g to sound harsh, but, you need ot find anotehr comfort source. I am not saying to quit nirsing totally, but, he does not need to be a newborn. Or nurse as often as a newborn.

If he has been tested for allergies, and none has shown up, as of yet, then you need to get him on Soymilk, form a cup, and eliminate dairy and wheat. Go gluten-free and MILK free.

My son has an allergy to the milk protein. That is found in BM btw.

Like I said, hats off to you for nursing still, but you need to cut WAY back on the number of nursings. Hold your child, comfort your child, but don't constantly nurse him when he is in pain. It is not helping you, nor him. And try to get him off the milk protein totally.

Jenn

kathyhay Apprentice

Thank you everybody for your input. Yesterday I put my foot down and decided to put my son on a schedule for nursing. So after I had nursed him in his sleep yesterday morning at 8:30 and then he woke up at 9 am and wanted to nurse, I refused him and just held him and let him cry and scream and hit me. I explained to him in as many ways as I could think of that I just didn't want to nurse him so much all the time anymore. I kissed him and told him that I understand and still love him, and we can cuddle as much as he wants, but I am not going to nurse him all the time anymore. He cried for about 10 minutes in my arms, and then out of the blue he simply said "Better" and it was all over and he wanted to eat and watch TV. He did hit me a little more than usual after that throughout the day, but he didn't seem truly traumatized like he used to when I tried it before. I was afraid he was going to have a major fit like he had before-- it was horrible before -- he had a fit so bad he was acting like he was going to throw up and then he was so upset he couldn't/wouldn't nurse and he wouldn't fall asleep in the car like he always does and it was a fierce fit for over an hour, and then he was still emotionally "off" for several days afterward.

Anyway, he has been just fine since yesterday morning. I am only letting him nurse to sleep and wake up and through the night. So for now it is 4 times during the day and probably another 2 times overnight. When he wants to nurse I just tell him he has to wait until naptime or bedtime-- and he's fine! It's so weird. I guess he's finally ready to really start weaning. So we'll do it this way for a few days or maybe weeks, until I feel ready to go to the next step(whatever that may be). I'm not sure which nursing session we will eliminate next. But it feels right now, which I am very happy about. I really want to have another baby ASAP, and weaning -- at least mostly-- is the only hope I have of conceiving since I still haven't gotten my period back due to lactational amenorrhea(I think that's what it's called).

I'll definitely have to go get some gripe water. I hadn't thought of that. Any more input is still welcome. Thank you all!!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:) thank you jenn, i was beginning to feel alone in a storm--i have five kids and was doubting myself again, it doesnt take much for the doubt to step in--my man is 800 miles from my home and my ex continually tells me to just go, be with my man and forget i ever had kids----my youngest is 22 now, i raised my kids pretty much alone--he is like the theory goes--anyone can be a father but only special men are daddys--my daughter at 22 has a daddy, she in certain ways always has had a daddy, but my boys are not close to their dad at all--i was the one who for hours would pitch softballs to them and play basketball with them, i was the one who would play in the hose with them, sneak up on them with pails of water--their dad could tease but never could recieve teasing--you would think he might melt if they threw water on him--my youngest son wanted a daddy so much and he tried so hard to get his dad's attention and to this day, that son feels unloved--he tends to blame it on me, but that is because his dad doesnt care anyways---2 of my sons have met my sweetie and all of them have talked to him and most of the time i dont feel that i am deserting them, some days i do and i will miss my grandkids, but its only a 12 hour drive and i do feel its time i think about me for a change--i never entended to sound harsh--i was only trying to help her see that the situation wasnt good for either of them and it sounds like the little guy will be fine :D deb------ by the way--the child in the pic with me is my oldest grandaughter brooklyn--such a little beauty gotta love kids
  • 3 years later...
Aleshia Contributor

my mom said I was impossible to wean, I guess I used to sneak in to my parents bed and help myslef in the middle of the night when I was 2 or 3. anyway, she ended up sending me to grandma's house for a week so she could dry up. :) dunno if that helps or not. you say he's ok when you aren't around, maybe this option could work for you if you have someone willing to take him for a few days or something. with my youngest me and my husband left the kids with my mom and dad and went on vacation for 5 days when he was 11 mo. right before that I started getting my son used to a bottle for a feed or 2 a day and then the day before we left I only breastfed him once and the rest was on the bottle. he's been fine ever since.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Nursing isn't only for nutrition, it is also for nurturing. My believe stems from API's believe, that babies will wean themselves, when they are ready. Nursing is a need and you can't force independence on somebody, it will come on it's own. I was brought up that way and my boy will be brought up this way, too. With me it apparently worked, because I am more independent than my ex, who is still clinging and listening to his mom (at 29) with every problem and he was only nursed for 2 weeks. Millions of moms (or dads for that matter) who practice AP can't be wrong. It has worked for them.

Hugs to all, Lukas and Stef

SCookie Newbie

Hi there-

My child is also driving me crazy. I'm gonna post about this later. My son just turned 2 a few weeks ago. He's not diagnosed or currently gluten free, but it's something I'm pursuing.

I just weaned him from nursing right around his birthday. He was driving me a bit bonkers with the constant nursing, honestly, and I was concerned that one of the reasons he wasn't gaining weight was that he was nursing too much and not eating enough.

He was an easy going and happy kid, for the most part, until a few months ago. He's gotten increasingly more irritable and I was despairing that he would ever wean. I felt like he was unhappy, so I didn't want to force him to wean when he clearly needed the comfort.. But a weird thing happened. He had about 2 weeks in March where he was just super cheerful, not so needy, ate well... I saw the happy child he used to be. He weaned VERY easily during that time. Whatever is going on with him abated that couple of weeks, and he barely even seemed to care when I rocked him and sang to him instead of nursing. He's totally weaned now. I have no explanation for his improvement over those couple of weeks (believe me, I wish I knew what was going on). Unfortunately, his brief cheerful spell ended and he's been miserable again since. Now I kinda miss the nursing as an easy fix, to tell you the truth, and his weight gain/appetite have not improved.

I guess my point is, if your child is unhappy or uncomfortable, it's going to be hard. Mine had that inexplicable week where he was better, and it was easy. Seems like you already feel the same way or you'd have forced the issue already. If you can figure out why your child is clingy and unhappy and alleviate that, the nursing might fall by the wayside on it's own.

If you decide to wean him anyway - which I completely understand and would not condemn in any way, 'cause I can totally relate - I bet the really 'miserable' time wouldn't last as long as you think. Less than 5 days.

World Health recommends breastfeeding for 2 years.

Good luck.

ShayBraMom Apprentice

You mihgt not like to hear it but YOU are going to have to wean him off! I'm in favor of nursing as long as possible, nursed both my kids each 14 month and then weaned them. At the age of 2 is NOTHING left for your son, sure it adjust to the child the milk does but it has it's limits! You would have to eat accordingly as well to be able to give him the fat and vitamins and nutriens he needs. As long as he has your boobs he won't be taking much else, it is so convinient and it is one on one time. some kids will never wena unless the mother takes it in her hands. Rest assured that you gave him all he needed, now there is nothing left. To him the boobs are still his main foodsource while it can marely now serve him as a quick drink. You will see if you wean him off slowly he will turn more and more to other foodsources and turn slowly but very surely in to a happy child who doesn't feel like it's starving all of the time! YOU need to take it into your hands, and yes it is way abnormal for him to nurse every hour, but it's because he's too old now your milk has not much to offer anymore! and with the ammounts you are nursing you put yourself actually on a very effective birthcontroll! Yes, I do know that one can get pregnant while nursing, but with the ammount your son needs and as often as he needs them yourbody gets flooded with hormones, your body actually thinks it has a brandnew newborn to take care of adn refuses to ovulate because it knows that there is no way it couldpossibly feed another "baby" without starving you while ion a full belly of food!

Wean him off and I promise botht he winy. clingy child will dissapear, a fun little guy getting more and more independant will appear and you will start ovulating and having periods again! As of right now, your body CAN'T give anymore and it won't until you wean!

He turned 2 in June, he is not diagnosed yet, we are gluten-free except for accidents. I am still nursing him because he won't wean at all. He nurses about every hour(or more often). He has been eating better since going gluten-free, and his stools are solid. But his behavior in general is just still very very clingy, and whiny, and upset all the time. He's okay when he's not with me, though. I am making sure that I am 100% gluten-free in my diet as well since I am still breastfeeding him. We did a blood draw on him at the Ped office, and he has no food allergies. But as I write, he is crying and wanting up. It's constant and driving me nuts! His nursing isn't as often as it was before going gluten-free, but it is still IMO way abnormal for a child his age. On top of this, I still haven't had my period since before I got pregnant with him. I really am getting eager to have another baby, but being anovulatory makes conceiving quite a challenge. I need to figure out a way to get him weaned, at least mostly, but without causing him severe emotional and maybe physical harm. He still nurses about every 2 hours all night long. I'm just sick of nursing a 25 pound "newborn" who really could be eating and drinking larger quantities of foods other than me. If any of you have some advice on what I could do to change my situation, I would much appreciate the input. Thank you!
ShayBraMom Apprentice

I forgot, as to your question / homeremedies for tummypain!

My Baby daughter a Celiac too, whomn I nuirsed for full 14 month, always got a tummy ache too when I ate ANYTHING with Milk. Milk, icecream, joghurt, Cheese- omg, she'd get tummyaches! It's very common for celiacs to NOT tolerate anything dairy until many month ini to the glutenfree diet! A foodintolerance has NOTHING to do with Allergies, so it doesn't matter what the bloodtest said about alleries! You have to eliminate cvertain things for at least a week. Just like Celiac desease, my duaghter has several allergies against foods and things, the one thing she is not the least bit allergic to , not even a weeny bit is Wheat. And still this is what makes her most sick, so forget aobut the Allergytest, take any dairy out of your diet even traces and see how he does! I remember at one times my daughter all of the sudden having crazy tummyaches again, I was sure I had not had anything dairy and nothing wheat. Well, come to think of it I had to Hershey kisses, the Valentinesday ones, which do contain MILK... that'as what I meant be as maticilus with the dairy stuff for a while as you are with the glutenfree! the mother consuming dairy even in small amounts is the tummyache causer NUMBER 1 in breastfed children!

As medicinewise! Leave out the Mylanta or what ever you mihgt use for gassines and what not that's out there for gas, with my duaghter and my son both I found that it actually made them constipated and just increased the gassines and tummyaches! what my daughter helped quite a lot was the "Tummy Soother" by Gentle Naturals! It's an homeopathic remedy. You'll find it at Walgreens for example in the Babysection, it comes in a mintgreen box, it usually has Baby Poo baer and baby tigger and or baby eeyore on it- it contains ginger and chamomille. I love that stuff, it helped me over the worsed tummyachetime during the times we tried to find out about her beeing Celiac or not!

I don't think he manipulates you not in a way you'd see it! Yes, of course you are smarter then a 2 yr. old, but the little ones do have a extrem fine antenna in feeling what gets stuff done and rthey know how to work it intuitively! I still stand by my opinion that I thinkit is time for you to wean him off or at least drastically reduce it! Yes, it comforts him and I admire that you can deal with nursing every single hour at his age- day and night! but read what you originally wrote and it does read to anybody here like it is starting to wear on you and also you so want to get pregnant but with the ammount of nursing you do there is not really a big chance of you ovulating anytime soon! As for the tummyaches, if he's not already then you need to get him in care of a pediatric GI, only he will be albe to help you really! good luck to you and head up! I was never for "letting my children cry either" adn they did wake up 12 and 15 times per night, not to nurse but because something disrupted her sleep! My son had night seizures, and my daughters brain used to get messed up with gluten and then her sleep is messed up beyond anything! I NEVER listenend to anybody who said let them cry it out, and I had a lot fo fights with my husband aobut it too! go with your feelings, I always knew there was a reason as to why their sleep was as bad as it was and I got to the bottom of it!

okgrace Apprentice

I know how difficult a fussy, clingy little one can be. May dd didn't sleep at all and nursed for 16 mo, but was biting me severly and didn't really want to drink for more than two minutes cause her belly hurt. We saw a naturopath when she was 7 mo and we have been seeing one again since she was 3 and it's really made all the differance for us. Naturopaths use diet to heal so they know the ins and outs. She also gave us enzyemes and UNDA #'s. I love the UNDA's they have been a huge help in her recovery. The one's she takes are formulated for stress, digestive trouble, and one for grief, but that was another issue. Every couple of months we change the UNDA's we gone back and forth between two sets. I can't tell you how powerful and what a difference in combo with diet change they have made for our dd. Mom's at her nursery school have even started noticing and are asking what we are doing. I was surprised becasue like your son, she is usually fine without me, but children save and express all their troubles with their moms so we have to be their and be centered and ready for it.

Aside from celiac's I know that certain portions of the second year are a real challange becuase their emotions start to intensify and it scares them so they need additional comfort. Following your gut is the best thing you can do. If you do decide to cut back on some feedings, try and keep him busy or have novel snacks for him ready and let him sit and cuddle while he eats. In my experience what I imagined weaning from the breast or more recently the pacifier would be like was not so. I was thought taking the paci away would damage her for life since she had it all the time. We stopped replacing them and one night we didn't have one. She fussed a bit and was over it. I couldn't believe it. Especially since she is NOT easy going.

Good Luck to you!

dbmamaz Explorer

Three comments:

1. the original post is from 2004. I strongly suspect her child is weaned by now

2. I weaned all of my children around 3.5 years. Nursing past the age of 2 is the norm many places in the world, its no big deal, as long as its working for mom and child.

3. Other food issues, including artificail colors or other food sensitivities, can cause this sort of thing, as well as psych issues such as bipolar, which is in my family.

Archived