10 replies to this topic

#1 snapple

snapple

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

I am looking for a good cheese substitute for sandwiches and stuff. Has anyone tried the veggie slices or rice slices. do they really taste like cheese? I don't want to go out and buy a substitute only to get home and find that it tastes like cardboard? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kate
Gluten free since 12/05 and feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

I've tried and liked the veggie slices(green package, don't remember the exact name). They taste pretty much like any other processed chesse slices. IMO they don't melt well and are better as is on sand. or crackers.

I'm interested in a non-dairy cheese that melts well and doesn't taste funky. Is that asking too much?
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

for a sandwhich, I've found no substitute for cheese without casein. for some other things, there are various things (avocado for lasagna, cashew based raw ranch dressing sub, etc.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

When in need of cheese, I make my own. It's a lot cheaper, and I hear the alternatives aren't great, but I can't have them due to other ingredients, anyay.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

Be sure to read the ingredients on those cheeses if you have food allergies. Especially to dairy. Some of them do contain whey or casein. I tried an almond cheese that I liked but it turns out I am allergic to almonds.

My daughter loves Chreese from Road's End Organics. I can not find the Chreese powder anywhere except directly from them though, so I buy it in bulk. I use the Alfredo style on pizza and the Cheddar style for sandwiches. I don't personally care for it because it tastes a bit mustardy. However, they do make a Nacho Chreese that comes in a jar and everyone who has tried it has found it to be yummy. Tastes just like cheese!

On occasion, I make my own cheese from nuts like cashews or macadamias, adding things like red, yellow or orange bell pepper, an orange, some lemon juice perhaps nutritional yeast, and salt. I mix it all up in my food processor then dehydrate for slices or use as is for a dip. I got the recipes from a raw cookbook or from a raw food forum. I can't repost them here since they are not my own recipes.

For pasta, I just use nutritional yeast. It works very well as a substitute for parmesan. I mix some into my sauce then sprinkle more on top. Daughter also likes it on popcorn.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

I've tried and liked the veggie slices(green package, don't remember the exact name). They taste pretty much like any other processed chesse slices. IMO they don't melt well and are better as is on sand. or crackers.

I'm interested in a non-dairy cheese that melts well and doesn't taste funky. Is that asking too much?

Chreese will melt like cheese on pizza or in a sandwich, however I don't find it to taste like cheese. When I make the Mac and Chreese, I add cubes of ham to it. And I've put ham on grilled Chreese sandwiches. If you like mustard like my daughter does, it might work for you. Oddly, I love the Nacho Chreese. It does taste like cheese. Hmmm... Wonder if that would work for a sandwich?

#7 snapple

snapple

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I will give the veggie slices a try. And I will be sure to post if I find the "perfect" cheese substitute.

KAte
Gluten free since 12/05 and feeling better!

#8 WyomingDiva

WyomingDiva

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

How can you recommend Chreese when it is made with WHEAT???

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

this thread is 4 years old.....
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

How can you recommend Chreese when it is made with WHEAT???

This is a very old thread. Ingredients may have changed. That said, I have found all cheese subs to be disgusting (IMO). I just make my gluten-free pizzas without any cheese now and I am happy.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

This is a very old thread. Ingredients may have changed. That said, I have found all cheese subs to be disgusting (IMO). I just make my gluten-free pizzas without any cheese now and I am happy.

Apparently there are two products called "Chreese". A search first turned up the product with the wheat in it. But that is not what I bought. I bought the Road's End Organics. These are the ingredients for one of the cheese sauces. It is gluten-free.

Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Flour, Enriched Nutritional Yeast (nutritional yeast, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin[vitamin B2], thiamine hydrochloride[vitamin B1], folic acid, Vitamin B12),Organic Tapioca Starch, Organic GreenLentil Flour, Salt, Organic Garlic Powder,Organic Ground Yellow Mustard Seed,Organic Onion Powder, Annatto Powder.

We had to stop using it because daughter developed a lentil allergy.

I did do further reading. Apparently they make two kinds. One with wheat, one without. Same brand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: