This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aching Stomach/headaches 4 One Year

marielynn22

marielynn22 Newbie

Hi my name is marie, i am 22 years old. Last year i basically woke up and was sick i had bad diahhrea and gas...then in the months to come, i have devveloped VERY severe headaches in the back of my neck/head...also a stiffness in the front. My arms tingle, and my finger tips even go compleately numb, i get twitches all over my body sometimes for days. My stomach seems to always ache, and i can feel my heart throb through my whole body...especially stomach. My bowel movements, are few and far between. I have had lots of tests they all are normal, but i am NOT normal, i cant work, sleep, eat normal..and the pain is wayyyy to much to bear. Does this sound like anything to anyone...I am currently on a celiac's diet, eventhough i tested negative..I just dont know if it could cause all of these things, i wasnt as sick when it first started i progressed immensely over this year with more symptoms and pain.

Does anyone feel like this or know what could be going on?

thanks

marie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

x

Calikat4 Rookie

I have experienced some of these symptoms before. I don't know if this will help, but have you considered that your headaches could be due to dehydration? This happens with diarrhea sometimes and is a side effect of celiac. It can also result in "tingling" in extremities (or at least that's what happened to me). Also, I had some "heart problems" once that sound similar to what you described (my heart was beating way too fast and way too hard and I'd get dizzy and sweaty from little activity). It turned out that I was severely anemic (also a side effect of celiac). In addition, I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which causes alternating diarrhea and constipation -- sometimes very severe.

Bottom line, though, I would get tested for everything if I were you -- this may be totally unrelated to celiac (?)

Also: have you had a colonoscopy (or sigmoidoscopy) and endoscopy? For years my blood tests never showed anything.

Janeti Apprentice
Hi my name is marie, i am 22 years old. Last year i basically woke up and was sick i had bad diahhrea and gas...then in the months to come, i have devveloped VERY severe headaches in the back of my neck/head...also a stiffness in the front. My arms tingle, and my finger tips even go compleately numb, i get twitches all over my body sometimes for days. My stomach seems to always ache, and i can feel my heart throb through my whole body...especially stomach. My bowel movements, are few and far between. I have had lots of tests they all are normal, but i am NOT normal, i cant work, sleep, eat normal..and the pain is wayyyy to much to bear. Does this sound like anything to anyone...I am currently on a celiac's diet, eventhough i tested negative..I just dont know if it could cause all of these things, i wasnt as sick when it first started i progressed immensely over this year with more symptoms and pain.

Does anyone feel like this or know what could be going on?

thanks

marie

hello, marielynn,

i aso have been very sick for the past year(april 06), and have the exact symptoms as you. i was diagnosed with celiacs in february 07, then lymes in april 07. i think that with my immune system depleted, the lymes was probaly dormant, then kicked in. i went for days not able to get out of bed.

some days are better than others. this past week has been a nightmare. my husband and i went out to eat last friday, and i think that i was glutened. ever since last april my pressure has been high, and now i can hear it in my ears when i lie down, and also at times feel it in my stomach. sometimes i feel so tired and weak, and i hate that, because thats not me. but the worst was the pain i the back of my head and neck, i thought that my head was going to explode...that went away after the second week of antibiotics. my right thumb is numb, and my left arm is so weak, i can't lift a cup of tea with it. next monday i have a appointment with the neurologist, we'll see what he has to say. with all of my symptoms, i never know which it is that is bothering me, lymes or celiacs...it makes me nuts. hang in there, and never, never let a dr convince you that what you are feeling isn't there. your body belongs to you, and if something is not right, find a dr who will listen, and never except anything less. i stinks feeling the way you do, but hopefully soon, you'll be on your way to feeling better...good luck

janet :rolleyes:

mftnchn Explorer

Hi Marielynn,

Sorry to hear you have had such horrible symptoms.

I wonder how long you have been on the celiac diet and how strict? Some people have a little early indication that they are on the right track.

I have constipation too as a main symptom of celiac. On the 10th day of gluten-free I started to notice some changes, and since then every day have been able to pass at least a little bit of stool. I am aware of more bloating and discomfort though--seems like my intestines are trying to get going again. And there are definately ups and downs.

Hang in there and be persistent to look for an answer. Hope you feel better soon!

marielynn22 Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply's

i have one more symptom that i was wondering if it could be related to lymes

I hate being hot, since i got sick, its the worse feeling, when the weather is hot i feel aweful, i like being cold?? anyone..

lol wierd question i know?

• 4 weeks later...
CarlaB Enthusiast

I missed this before ... yes, I get heat exhaustion very easily. I can't handle the heat very well at all.

Janet, are you seeing a good Lyme doctor? You can get better from the Lyme but you need a good LLMD (Lyme literate MD). I know my LLMD is also well-versed in celiac disease. He tests all his patients for it because the symptoms are so similar to Lyme.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Murph Newbie

I've been through all that and sadly much much more while thinking I was doing something helpful eating mostly wheat-free. It didn't start to reverse until I was incredibly vigilantly gluten-free. Maybe you've got some gluten sneaking in. You probably already know, but just in case, there are even toothpastes and lipsticks w/ gluten.

Just about every popular convenience food seems to have gluten snuck in somewhere too.

And while the worst symptoms were long-gone after going gluten-free, I still had a lot of problems until I was on a strict anti-candida diet for a couple months. It means no sugars/sweeteners, yeast, vinegar or anything else fermented, or even fruit. :(

It's hard but unlike the gluten it's temporary. (And it makes being gluten-free a walk in the park! :) )

There are plenty of resources for intestinal candida online, including questionnaires to help figure out whether u might have it. I'd suggest not paying much attn to the miracle cures advertised for it, and try to find a good Naturopath. (Regular MDs don't much believe in it except for severely immuno-compromised types like AIDS patients.)

Or maybe that's not it at all! Anyway, best of luck.

Archived