This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer

mairin

mairin Apprentice

My daughter was diagnosed at the end of March. After a couple of months purchasing the super expensive muffins and other baking for my daughter, I've decided that investing in a Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer would be well worth it.

I'm not sure which mixer to purchase (for cosmetic purposes we would like either red or black, if possible). I haven't really baked anything yet for her, but have read that the flours can be very thick and difficult to mix. Should I invest in the higher end model that is more of a commerical grade, or will the standard model work just fine?

Thanks in advance for any input and opinions.

Mairin's mom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I would say look for higher watts - you can always order any color. The wattage is the power of the machine. Smaller watts and you will burn out that engine. Our doughs can be pretty dense. Go to a Williams Sonoma,a high end Kitchen supply store, or call kitchen aide to learn about the machines and what it will do for you. The point is to get someone knowledgable who isn't just there to make a sale.

King Aurther's Flour has some great pans for baking. I love the Italian bread pans! Next on my list are the donut pans.

JennyC Enthusiast

You don't need the commercial grade, but I would get one with higher watts. We have the Kitchen Aid Artisan (350 watts) and it works great.

missy'smom Collaborator

Watch the sale ads for a while. The sale prices don't vary much but every once in a while they'll throw in an attatchment for free. With Mother's Day coming up it would be a good time to look for a good buy.

ptkds Community Regular

I bought the most powerful one (don't remember the wattage). I LOVE it. I bought it at Kitchen Collections (they have a website), and got it for only $295, but it was refurbished. Still works great and is under warranty from Kitchen Aid.

ptkds

lcbannon Apprentice

I have had a Kitchenaid for over 15 years and LOVE IT... I have the one where you raise the bowl, not the head of the machine. Get the best you can afford, you will have this machine for life. I also have the food grinder attachment, i use this a lot to grind meat for chicken salad and other items, I am also going to buy the pasta plates so I can make my own gluten free pasta..

Enjoy

Cheri A Contributor

I love my KA! I think the model I have is the Classic Plus. My only regret is not getting one sooner!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

We recently were planning to buy one but found a Sunbeam stand mixer with more watts for less money. The attachments were similar (all the same in the subset I thought I'd actually use - my old one had a meat grinder that we never used).

Can't argue with Kitchen Aide for quality but if others reading this thread have a budget consideration, at least look at the Sunbeam.

I'll admit to a little nostalgia because the Sunbeam looked a lot like what my mom used 40 years ago....

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I love my Kitchen Aid too, I also have the one where you lower the bowl, not the top of it. I always poke fun at myself for the machine b/c we have to put it away everytime we use it, and it weighs about a gazillion pounds!

You will love your Kitchen Aid, its great!

Nancym Enthusiast

I bought one probably 15-20 years ago. It wasn't the highest power by any means and it has done fine with whatever I've thrown at it. Still works good!

The attachments are another matter... they're made from plastic and all ended up cracking even though I didn't use them much. I did buy new ones and hopefully they've corrected whatever it was that caused the cracking. BTW: The cracking attachments was a common complaint when I researched it online.

Guest KG in FL
I love my Kitchen Aid too, I also have the one where you lower the bowl, not the top of it. I always poke fun at myself for the machine b/c we have to put it away everytime we use it, and it weighs about a gazillion pounds!

You will love your Kitchen Aid, its great!

I have the same model and I have to put mine away everytime due to counter space (or lack of). I try and consider it excercise- lifting weights- as it's SO heavy!! I dread it for that reason but it works great.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I have the KA home mixer (Empire Red). I paid $249 (on sale).

It is my baby.

Highly recommend it.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have the Kitchen Aid "Ultra Power" in cobalt blue (and the matching hand mixer :P )

I've had it about 17 years, and it still looks and performs like new. I can't recommend these highly enough.

sixtytwo Apprentice

Really have to agree with all former people........I bought mine as a refurbished one at Pamida, plain white, nothing fancy and got it for $99.99. It works like and dream. If I had known they were this good, I would have had one a LOT of years ago. I make my own bread from the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Bread Mix and you just put everything in and let it mix for three minutes, not with the dough hook, just with the regular paddle. It sure is better than any bread that I have purchased. Instead of making the huge one loaf they recommend on the package, I make four quite small loaves which cook much quicker and it works out well. Look around for a refurbished Kitchen Aid. Barbara

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I got the Kitchen Aid 5 Quart Professional as a Refurb (it works great and was more than $250 cheaper than brand new). It had the bowl and all the blades (paddle, whipper and dough hook).

I LOVE IT.

It's the drop lever one...not the tilt head. I actually like that better...but I hear the tilt head takes up less space (the drop lever one is about 5" taller.).

I have used it at least 4 times a week since I got it a month ago. It has become a most valuable addition to my kitchen, one I would be so sad without.

:)

zakismom Newbie

I got mine for Christmas last year and it has been wonderful!! I use it all the time and even though it is heavy, it's easy to clean and beautiful. I have an artisan model with the lift up bowl.

holiday16 Enthusiast
I got the Kitchen Aid 5 Quart Professional as a Refurb (it works great and was more than $250 cheaper than brand new). It had the bowl and all the blades (paddle, whipper and dough hook).

I LOVE IT.

It's the drop lever one...not the tilt head. I actually like that better...but I hear the tilt head takes up less space (the drop lever one is about 5" taller.).

I have used it at least 4 times a week since I got it a month ago. It has become a most valuable addition to my kitchen, one I would be so sad without.

:)

This is the one that I have. I wasn't planning to buy one as soon as I did, but I found it on clearance for about $150. Couldn't resist that and ever since being diagnosed I've been so thankful I had it. I didn't use it much for the year I had it until I had to learn to make the gluten free bread. Now I think every time I make bread how glad I am I bought it! Mine is in red which I like more than I thought I would.

I had researched them at one point because I did want to buy one, but wasn't ready to put out so much money just yet. One thing I remember reading is the ones with the tilthead wear out faster than the up down lever. I think it was because the cords are in the tilt area and it affects them from the repeated motion. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Karen B. Explorer
We recently were planning to buy one but found a Sunbeam stand mixer with more watts for less money. The attachments were similar (all the same in the subset I thought I'd actually use - my old one had a meat grinder that we never used).

Can't argue with Kitchen Aide for quality but if others reading this thread have a budget consideration, at least look at the Sunbeam.

I'll admit to a little nostalgia because the Sunbeam looked a lot like what my mom used 40 years ago....

I had that Sunbeam before I was diagnosed but I had to get rid of it when I went gluten-free. I routinely push the limits for how much nuts and stuff I can stuff in muffins, cookies and cakes. In the Sunbeam, that resulted in the batter climbing up the beaters. After diagnosis, I noticed batter crumbs falling out no matter how much I cleaned it. I gave it away and got a KitchenAid because of the plate they have over the attachments (because I know I'm not going to start backing off on the nuts). But I bought my Mom a new Sunbeam. I liked the Sunbeam, but I've always wanted a KA so I waited until a month before my birthday and dropped hints all over the place. Hubby, Mom and Sis went together to get the KA mixer plus accessories (like the plastic shield to keep the nuts from flying). My favorite add on was the bowl with the handle on it.

Guest lizajane

I also have the standard Kitchen Aide mixer and haven't used it in years. I buy my bread now-could never cut the bread consistently!!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I used it again this morning! Gluten free donuts. Truly just don't know how I survived without it! LOL!!!!

At first I really thought I wanted the tilt head - for ease of adding ingredients. BUT...I really don't mind...especially b/c you'd have to turn it off anyway. It's been very neat and easy to keep clean. I like that too...that had been a small hesitation. I'm glad I got it AFTER going gluten free, and I only make gluten-free stuff in it.

I'm trying a pie crust this week! First time, totally scared, but glad I have my KA! :D

Katydid Apprentice

I have the 250 watt white KitchenAide with 4 1/2 quart bowl and tilt top, which I think is the bottom of the line; and I purchased it at Walmart for $165. I know several have mentioned buying higher wattage, but mine has done a terrific job on anything I've tried and I use it every single day. It has a permanent home on my countertop because I want to make sure its handy in case of fire.

I don't know how I managed before I bought it...it makes all this gluten free cooking and baking so much easier.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Katydid...your so funny! hubby joke with me that if we had a fire he'd wake up to me saying "Honey You grab the kids, I'll get the KitchenAid!"

kdean823 Newbie

I just bought my REFURBISHED Kitchen Aid from amazon. An amazing price for a 425 (or is it 450) watt professional series with the bowl lifter. I paid less than the 250 watt models, got free shipping, and a one year warranty. I know that I could have problems in a year, but I could get most any color and everyone swears that they are as good as if not better (beccause they are inspected so closely) than new.

Just a thought.

Kym

Michi8 Contributor

I just saw the Kitchen Aid commercial style mixer at Costco: Open Original Shared Link

They have red, black, white or silver to choose from, and the price is good. ($299 US or $345 CAD) If you buy or order before May 31st, you can get a bonus mixer attachment as well: Open Original Shared Link

Michelle :-)

dragonmom Apprentice

I have the Kitchen Aide Artisan, I cannot imagine cooking now without it. Most bread or muffiny things get lighter and moister with the egg whites whipped, and folded in, or just throwing everything in and getting it mixed up well. I think I've lost the dough hook but everything else is great. My daughter bought it before diagnosis because I liked to make bread. I guess it is a good thing....now I do it more often. Have fun baking, most breads, muffins , rolls etc. seem to come out better when made at home. Enjoy.

Archived