8 replies to this topic

#1 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

A friend wants to make dinner and asked if Old El Paso Enchilada sauce is safe. Neither of us have the ingredients in front of us and we can't find it online. I know they are a company who won't hide the ingredients...but I don't have the ingredients to let her know if it is safe or not.

If anyone could let me know if its safe or not, I'd be grateful

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

I understand that it is NOT gluten free. I used to use it all the time and quit. I use a package now I think it is by McCormick and I think it is really good.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

I understand that it is NOT gluten free. I used to use it all the time and quit. I use a package now I think it is by McCormick and I think it is really good.

i use the mccormick regularly too :). any idea what the bad ingredient is in the old el paso?

#4 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

I went to www.generalmills.com and clicked on Old El Paso medium enchilada sauce and it showed a side label which stated as an ingredient -- wheat gluten-- and on the allergy part it listed wheat and soy. I hope this helps some.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#5 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

A friend wants to make dinner and asked if Old El Paso Enchilada sauce is safe. Neither of us have the ingredients in front of us and we can't find it online. I know they are a company who won't hide the ingredients...but I don't have the ingredients to let her know if it is safe or not.

If anyone could let me know if its safe or not, I'd be grateful :)

Laura

On Amazon, it looks like the mix is gluten-free:
Label Information
Ingredients
Salt, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Spice, Yellow Corn Flour, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean with BHT Added to Protect Flavor, Cottonseed), Red Pepper, Silicon Dioxide Added) as Anti-Caking Agent.
http://www.amazon .com/Old-El-Paso-Seasonin...nutrition-facts

The kit is more complicated, even if you ditch the tortillas:
Label Information
Safety Information
Contains wheat and milk ingredients.

Ingredients
Flour Tortillas: Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed with Mono - and Diglycerides, Glycerin, Corn Syrup Solids, Baking Powder (Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Potassium Sorbate and Calcium propionate (Preservatives), Monoglycerides, Fumaric Acid, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride.

Enchilada Sauce: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Onion (Dried), Salt, Sugar, Chili Pepper, Distilled Vinegar, Spice, Modified Corn Starch, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid. Cheese Sauce: Water, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Whey, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphate, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt, Granular Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Lactic Acid, Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Color Added, Semi-Soft Blue Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid.

Enchilada Seasoning Mix: Maltodextrin, Onion powder, Spice, Corn Starch, Chili Powder (Chili Pepper, Spice, Salt, Garlic Powder), Granular (Dried) and Blue Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey, Monosodium Glutamate, Onion, (Dried), Chili Pepper, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein Concentrate, Salt, Lactose, Spices, Sodium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Jalapeno Pepper Powder, Sugar, Citric Acid, Dextrose, Natural Flavor, Lactic Acid, Garlic Powder, Beef Extract, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, (Sour Cream (Dried) (Cream, Nonfat Milk, Cultures), Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin, Color Added, Chicken Fat, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Sesame Oil, Ethoxyquin

http://www.amazon .com/Old-El-Paso-Enchilad...8193&sr=1-2
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#6 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

thanks both to jenny and karen :).

The link that jenny provided had the labels to the mild, medium, and hot versions of the sauce that we would use...and they all contain wheat gluten. Delightful!

Laura

#7 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

I don't know if this helps but here's a recipe for enchilada sauce. It's pretty basic stuff when you take out all the scary ingredients and the wheat gluten. Maybe you could make it ahead of time for your friend to use in the rest of her recipe if she can't find a safe, pre-made version?

http://www.recipezaar.com/12877
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#8 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

Do not despair. The Old El Paso taco sauce is very good and contains no wheat or gluten and I called them to make sure. Now perhaps that is only in Canada. I use it on my enchiladas.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#9 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

once I found out how easy it is to make I make it and freeze it. It's really very simple. And If I make mexican beef (chuck roast + Peppers + spices in a slow cooker), I make that first and use the juices as the beef broth in the enchilada sauce. YUM! Might be time for another batch....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: