This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

P. F. Changs?

Jo.R

Jo.R Contributor

My DH wants to take me to the city for dinner. Would $50.00 be enough for a good meal for the two of us (we don't drink) at P. F. Changs? I know nothing about the restaurant other than it has gluten free chinese food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Yes, that would be plenty!! You may even have enough to splurge and get the super yummy gluten-free dessert, Chocolate Dome. It is out of this world!!!

Enjoy!

WHinNOVA Rookie

Yes, that's plenty if you're not drinking. On the other hand, depending on how far away it is to the "city", it is pretty easy to burn $50 in gas these days.

WH

Jo.R Contributor

I hear you on the gas. We are multi-tasking, he is going to drop me off at the mall so I can get some clothes for the kids, while he runs his errands, then we're going to Whole Foods (first time), and then dinner. We live 45 freeway min from Portland, OR so when we go we make it count. I am so excited, I have been craving chinese food. Thanks for the info.

sixtytwo Apprentice

You MUST try their signature item which is their lettuce wrap appetizer, I think I could eat it for my main dish. There is a gluten-free version, which we share before our meal. It is awesome. However, then you probably will not have room for dessert, or maybe you could share one. It is so nice to go to a restaurant that caters to gluten-free people with grace. Barbara

WHinNOVA Rookie
You MUST try their signature item which is their lettuce wrap appetizer, I think I could eat it for my main dish. There is a gluten-free version, which we share before our meal. It is awesome. However, then you probably will not have room for dessert, or maybe you could share one. It is so nice to go to a restaurant that caters to gluten-free people with grace. Barbara

I will second the recommendation to try the lettuce wrap. I haven't been to PFC since I have gone gluten free but will soon. There is one by our house and another in a city I frequently travel to. The lettuce wraps have always been a favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to trying the gluten-free version. I would guess the only difference is the use of gluten-free soy sauce as the other main ingredients (lettuce, chicken) are naturally gluten-free.

WH

loraleena Contributor

Lettuce wraps rule! 50 is plenty. My boyfriend and I usually spend about 35 and that is with a drink for him and shared app. The prices are great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

Some of the meals are fairly large. When I go, my daughter (15 y/o) and I share 1 order of the street noodles. We usually have leftovers from that too. They also give you rice on the side. Definatly get the chocolate flourless dome. It is wonderful. Even if you have to get it go to eat later. LOL

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Just some pieces of advice,

1. Don't go during peak times (11-1, 6-8)

2. When you order your gluten-free lettuce wraps, ask that the crunchy noodles be placed on the side - this differentiates yours from the regular gluten filled lettuce wraps. It sounds strange, but the kitchen at Pf chang's usuallly has 5-10 or so of those wraps being cooked at the same time. When they finish them, they just slide them up on the expo counter and throw the ticket up there. It is soooooooo easy for another server to take your gluten-free wraps and then have your server mistakenly take a gluten one. However, if you specialize the order (gluten free, with crunchy noodles on side) you can ensure that you will get the safe one as the likelihood of more than one order with something on the side is rare.

3. I love the Chang's chicken, the shanghai cucumbers and the singapore street noodles, and the chocolate dome cake.

have fun, be safe, and always talk to a manager!

BB

p.s. Make sure the server makes the special sauce (ask about hot mustard) with gluten free soy sauce - they have it.

p.p.s HEre is the menu Open Original Shared Link

rumbles Newbie

You might want to call in advance to make sure that they are prepared. I love PF Chang's, - have been to a few of them in different parts of the U.S., - a couple of months ago I went to one in the Miami area, - they didn't have the gluten free soy sauce, and didn't know that they offered a gluten free menu - after a two hour drive, it was a major disappointment. I'm sure your experience will be much better, - but just in case, a phone call in advance to the manager can give them time to make sure they are knowledgeable and prepared.

happygirl Collaborator

And bring some immodiums for just in case....two of my hands down, worst moments were glutenings thanks to PF Changs. :) (that being said, I've been glutened at every restaurant out there, so its not just there by any means). I say this because you will be far from home, and the only thing worse than being glutened...is being glutened far from your own home/bathroom.

heathen Apprentice

my bf and i spend between $35-40 with dessert. i love it--my favorite restaurant since going gluten-free.

CDH Newbie

$50 would be more than enough. In addition to the Gluten-Free menu, you may ask the manager if they will prepare something else to your liking gluten-free. The PF Changs in Scottsdale, AZ will prepare gluten-free upon request. Enjoy!

CH

Guest lorlyn

Husband and I and friends went to PF Changs in Birmingham, Alabama tonight. It was very good. I ordered the lettuce wraps not realizing they had two kinds. Had told the waitress in the beginning that we were gluten-free. The wrong wraps were delevered by another employee. Before we had a chance to eat it our waitress had relized we had the wrong one and was very quick on getting us the right one. Was very impressed with the wiat staff. Stil stuffed :blink:

tiffjake Enthusiast
Husband and I and friends went to PF Changs in Birmingham, Alabama tonight. It was very good. I ordered the lettuce wraps not realizing they had two kinds. Had told the waitress in the beginning that we were gluten-free. The wrong wraps were delevered by another employee. Before we had a chance to eat it our waitress had relized we had the wrong one and was very quick on getting us the right one. Was very impressed with the wiat staff. Stil stuffed :blink:

I just ate at the Bham one last week. I have been there several times (used to live there, and now travel through) and they have always been "ok" (not GREAT, but they were quick to fix a problem, like you mentioned).

I wish there was a PF Changs close to me now, nearest is about 60 miles. I really like that place! My fav is the Changs Spicey Chicken, but ordered mild. It is like fried chicken. It is really good! And that dessert is YUM!!!

jhaigh Newbie

I was glutened at PF Chang's by the special sauce they make at the table. I had them use the gluten-free soy sauce but realized later the chinese hot mustard they use it NOT gluten-free and they do not have a substitute. The next time I went I ordered off the gluten-free menu and had them omit the hot mustard from the sauce and all was well.

loraleena Contributor

Where are you? The PF changs in Boston has a dedicated gluten free section in their kitchen!

lindalee Enthusiast
I was glutened at PF Chang's by the special sauce they make at the table. I had them use the gluten-free soy sauce but realized later the chinese hot mustard they use it NOT gluten-free and they do not have a substitute. The next time I went I ordered off the gluten-free menu and had them omit the hot mustard from the sauce and all was well.

Thanks for the info on the mustard. Is the red hot sauce safe?

par18 Apprentice
Thanks for the info on the mustard. Is the red hot sauce safe?

I must be missing something as I have eaten there at least 4 times and the only part of the sauce they substitute is the soy and I have never had a problem. I used the yellow mustard and red chili the other night with the gluten free soy sauce and all was well. I wonder where the info for the hot mustard not being gluten free is listed.

Tom

Nancym Enthusiast

I noticed they use the same spoon when mixing the sauces up so. I skipped the sauce the last time I ate there.

• 1 month later...
Teacher1958 Apprentice

I got seriously glutened there last night. I think I know what happened, though. I am a vegetarian as well as gluten free. Our waitress was wonderful and offered to replace the chicken with tofu in the lettuce wrap. I didn't think anything of it until this morning when I was in complete agony. I had to do some serious detective work until the light went on! The tofu was pressed tofu, which is not gluten free, but is vegetarian (it's pre-prepared and has either malt or soy sauce in it). I thought it over further and realized that the gluten free entrees with tofu use silken tofu, so if I'd ordered that kind of tofu, I would have been okay. This diet can be so damned complicated.

elonwy Enthusiast

I also avoid the sauce unless I mix it. They do use the same spoons to mix, I've had them do that at a table where I was the only gluten-free person. I love the lettuce wraps. You can tell they are gluten-free because they are lighter in color than the regular ones, but the crispies on the side it also a good idea. I adore the street noodles and the changs chicken. So nummy. Darn it, I'm hungry and want PF changs now.

glutenfreeinMadisonHeights Newbie
Just some pieces of advice,

1. Don't go during peak times (11-1, 6-8)

2. When you order your gluten-free lettuce wraps, ask that the crunchy noodles be placed on the side - this differentiates yours from the regular gluten filled lettuce wraps. It sounds strange, but the kitchen at Pf chang's usuallly has 5-10 or so of those wraps being cooked at the same time. When they finish them, they just slide them up on the expo counter and throw the ticket up there. It is soooooooo easy for another server to take your gluten-free wraps and then have your server mistakenly take a gluten one. However, if you specialize the order (gluten free, with crunchy noodles on side) you can ensure that you will get the safe one as the likelihood of more than one order with something on the side is rare.

3. I love the Chang's chicken, the shanghai cucumbers and the singapore street noodles, and the chocolate dome cake.

have fun, be safe, and always talk to a manager!

BB

p.s. Make sure the server makes the special sauce (ask about hot mustard) with gluten free soy sauce - they have it.

p.p.s HEre is the menu Open Original Shared Link

I had that happen to me earlier this year while traveling. At this particular Chang's, I ordered some kind of gluten-free noodle dish, and they brought it to me and after taking a couple of bites, a waiter rushed up and took it away from me, telling me that I had received the dish with gluten by mistake!

I guess that's one of the risks of eating out!

I was disappointed in P.F. Chang's, because Hubby and I love chop suey and almond boneless chicken, neither of which were on their menu.

uclangel422 Apprentice

Thanks for the tip about the crunchy noodles on the side.

When i first got diagnosed, I went to PF Changs twice and ordered the lettuce wraps with the gluten free sauce. I was sick before I left the restaurant and was miserable both times.

I recently went back and ordered other stuff besides the lettuce wraps and did not get sick at all. I guess i shall try them again with this suggestion next time.

BigRog Rookie

The PF Changs near me also serves Redbridge beer

Wow chinese food and beer

Woo Hoo

Archived