19 replies to this topic

#1 Susan123

Susan123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:43 AM

:P Does anyone know which mainstream lipsticks are Gluten-Free? (Loreal, Maybeline, Almay, Cover Girl, Neutragena, etc. ) Brand or type? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lynskyj

Lynskyj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:45 PM

Susan,
I read that Revlon Color Stay and Loreal Colour Endure are gluten-free. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. Other products may not be gluten-free.

#3 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 01:35 PM

Some Maybelline lipsticks are. Some Avon lipsticks are....
Better read all the labels just to be sure. It's different for each tube.
Here are some "hidden gluten" ingredients:

This information covers products marketed under the following
trademarks: Estée Lauder, Inc.; Clinique Laboratories, Inc.; Aramis,
Inc.; Origins Natural Resources, Inc.; Bobbi Brown essentials; Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries, MAC, Stila, and Prescriptives, Inc.

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX
BARLEY EXTRACT
HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE
HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL
HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH
HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT AMINO ACIDS
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES
WHEAT GERM OIL
WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT
PROTEIN
WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL

SOY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) EXTRACT
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) FLOUR
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) PROTEIN
HYDROGENATED LECITHIN
HYDROGENATED SOY GLYCERIDE
HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN
LECITHIN
MIXED SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
PEG-5 SOYA STEROL
PEG-10 SOYA STEROL
PEG-16 SOYA STEROL
PEG-25 SOYA STEROL
SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOY STEROL
SOYBEAN EXTRACT
SOYBEAN OIL
SOYBEAN PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOYBEAN STEROL
TOCOPHEROL
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE
TOCOPHERYL LINOLEATE

Hope this can help!
Connie

#4 tonileet

tonileet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:59 PM

Hi,

Connie - Thanks for posting the hidden gluten ingredients list. I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Susan - Neutrogena e-mailed me a list of their gluten-free products. I don't use lipstick and I don't even know what all of these products are, but they're lip-related in some way!

Instant Lip Remedy
Lip Boost Intense Moisture Lipstick SPF 20
Lip Boost Intense Moisture Therapy
Lip Moisturizer SPF 15
Lip Nutrition - All
MoistureShine Lip Gloss
Overnight Lip Therapy

Neutorgena offers approximately 100 gluten-free products. I'm sure they'd be happy to e-mail you a list, too.

Good day - Toni

#5 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

I am new to this, (diagnosed a few days ago) so my question is: do I REALLY have to worry about things like my lipstick? I have also heard I shouldn't lick stamps. for a newbie, it seams pretty unreasonable. I don't mind being careful, but I am starting to feel a little paranoid.

#6 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:40 PM

Even the miniscule amounts of gluten that are found can make us sick!! YES u have to worry about these things. Overtime you will get very sick (cancer, lupus, infertility, diabetes, seizures etc) if you don't take this seriously.
Buy the stamps and envelopes that are like stickers, and you don't have to lick them.
Lipsticks, hand lotions, face lotions, toothpaste, are all things that you might think they might not matter, but they do. What happens when you use some hand lotion that has gluten, it gets under your fingernail and then you go to eat and you ingest some of that lotion!! YUCK!! Pretty soon your stomach doesn't feel so great, you get diarrhea and just can't figure out where it came from!!
You will thank yourself later for being very careful!! Trust us on this!
Best wishes-
Jessica :D
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#7 Susan123

Susan123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the info. It is really hard to find this info on the web! I like Neutrogena so I am going to try the MoistureShine Lip Gloss. Also, I emailed Revlon to check out the Colorstay. I don't wear lipstick everyday but I do like to wear it for special occasions and I don't want to feel bad on that special occasion because I used lipstick. When I email these cosmetic companies is there a way I should word my question. I just asked if gluten (wheat, oat, barley or rye) is used in the production of the product, in the product itself or is on the equipment used to manufacturer other products that contain gluten.

#8 Susan123

Susan123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:40 AM

Are the above hidden-gluten ingredients for all lipsticks/cosmetics? I went out last night and bought some lipstick. I went off a gluten-free list I found from a reputable source. Well come to find out that both that were supposedly safe had some of the ingredients listed above. Now I noticed that my hand lotion has an ingredient in it too. Urghh!!

#9 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 05:15 PM

I was just wondering about the Soy Derived Ingredients off that list that Connie posted. Soy doesn't have gluten, so are they adding gluten into the soy ingredients? I'm just wondering, because my lipstick has TOCOPHERYL ACETATE , and that is the only questionable ingredient from this list. I am just wondering, since I will need a new tube soon, and I would hate to go buy a new one if it has gluten in it.

On the old board we had quite a long list of lipsticks that were gluten-free. I'd like to see that going again, since it is hard enough to find a color I like, let alone have to worry about gluten!

Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#10 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:41 AM

I was just wondering about the Soy Derived Ingredients off that list that Connie posted. Soy doesn't have gluten, so are they adding gluten into the soy ingredients? I'm just wondering, because my lipstick has TOCOPHERYL ACETATE , and that is the only questionable ingredient from this list. I am just wondering, since I will need a new tube soon, and I would hate to go buy a new one if it has gluten in it.

On the old board we had quite a long list of lipsticks that were gluten-free. I'd like to see that going again, since it is hard enough to find a color I like, let alone have to worry about gluten!

Mariann

Lancome has a line called Rouge Absolu which is gluten-free. It's $20-SO, pricey. But it lasts and is very nice.

lisa

#11 linda7276

linda7276

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Some Maybelline lipsticks are. Some Avon lipsticks are....
Better read all the labels just to be sure. It's different for each tube.
Here are some "hidden gluten" ingredients:

This information covers products marketed under the following
trademarks: Estée Lauder, Inc.; Clinique Laboratories, Inc.; Aramis,
Inc.; Origins Natural Resources, Inc.; Bobbi Brown essentials; Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries, MAC, Stila, and Prescriptives, Inc.

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX
BARLEY EXTRACT
HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE
HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL
HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH
HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT AMINO ACIDS
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES
WHEAT GERM OIL
WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT
PROTEIN
WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL

SOY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) EXTRACT
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) FLOUR
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL
GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) PROTEIN
HYDROGENATED LECITHIN
HYDROGENATED SOY GLYCERIDE
HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN
LECITHIN
MIXED SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
PEG-5 SOYA STEROL
PEG-10 SOYA STEROL
PEG-16 SOYA STEROL
PEG-25 SOYA STEROL
SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOY STEROL
SOYBEAN EXTRACT
SOYBEAN OIL
SOYBEAN PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOYBEAN STEROL
TOCOPHEROL
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE
TOCOPHERYL LINOLEATE

Hope this can help!
Connie

Hi I've been reading this forum for awhile, once I learned about Gluten and it's related problems. I have to say thank you to everyone who contributes comments, links, and other very important information, it's been very helpful. Like a crash course. Anyway, I just got my results back from Entero Lab and I do have gluten sensitivity. After so many many years of being sick, I don't like it, but it's such a relief to know. And so exciting to know that I am going to feel good again, I already am, about 6 weeks after giving up the gluten, I have ENERGY!!!! I'm also allergic to Soy, so I've been reading as much as I can about that too, and apparently soy oil and soy lecithin are supposed to be ok...though I've read some conflicting reports here and who knows where...I've been all over the web. Ok the reason for this post, beyond saying thanks, is that I was using Estee Lauder lipstick and then heard about the possibility of Gluten contamination, so I wrote to them and it took a while and another email, but I received a response and thought others might appreciate it too.

Their Response: While a formulation may contain no wheat, oat, barley or rye derivatives, for the benefit of our gluten-sensitive consumers who may have cross-sensitivities, Estee Lauder takes the extra precaution of including corn, rice and soy in our research.

In response to your inquiry, the Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick contains GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT. In addition, we are enclosing the ingredient listing for the Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick.

Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick:
INGREDIENTS: RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL [] CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE [] DIISOSTEARYL MALATE [] OLEYL OLEATE [] EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX\CANDELILLA CERA\CIRE DE CANDELILLA [] SYNTHETIC WAX [] POLYGLYCERYL-3 BEESWAX [] DIPENTAERYTHRITYL HEXAHYDROXYSTEARATE/HEXASTEARATE/HEXAROSINATE [] GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT [] OZOKERITE [] POLYDECENE [] COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX\CERA CARNAUBA\CIRE DE CARNAUBA [] SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE [] ALUMINA [] BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2 [] THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) FRUIT POWDER [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] ASCORBYL PALMITATE [] CERAMIDE 2 [] ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE [] FRAGRANCE (PARFUM) [] SILICA [] CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE [] SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE [] POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE [] CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE [] ACRYLATES COPOLYMER [] BARIUM SULFATE [] BHT [] [+/- TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) [] RED 7 LAKE (CI 15850) [] BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090) [] COPPER POWDER (CI 77400) [] YELLOW 5 LAKE (CI 19140) [] RED 22 LAKE (CI 45380) [] MICA [] RED 6 (CI 15850) [] YELLOW 6 LAKE (CI 15985) [] RED 30 LAKE (CI 73360) [] CARMINE (CI 75470) [] BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163) [] RED 33 LAKE (CI 17200) [] YELLOW 10 LAKE (CI 47005)]n

I don't see anything that means Gluten here...am I wrong? But now I am concerned about the (GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT)What is that? Doesn't sound like simple oil....thanks all, Linda
Results June 2008

Antigliadin IgA 14 (Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 12 Units (Normal<10 Units)
Malabsorption 647 Units (Normal <300 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0604
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,6)
Anti-Soy IgA 30 Units (Normal <10 Units)

Quit Gluten May 2008
Quit Soy June 2008
Quit Dairy May 2009
Quit Corn June 2009

I believe in God, Angels, and Miracles! :) And Photography of course!!

#12 knowurgluten

knowurgluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

This makes me so frustrated that they just can't put on there whether it's gluten free or not. How in the heck can we know every little detail on everything. You mean to tell me that we don't have the resources to make this info available on the package?
[size="3"]Celiac diagnosed 2002 from being scoped "flat vili" Began to feel better but have always had:
Anemia, Elevated liver enzymes on and off for 15 years, dizziness off and on, Brain fog off and on, Most recent TAILBONE PAIN, 2 LARGE breast lumps, a pounding heart, and elevated cholesterol.
I found out I had been taking vitamins and eating protein bars that had gluten in them when I was told they didnt. And most recently I was taking unisom always assuming it was gluten-free I can't believe I did not check into this. I am in the process of calling the manufacturer but no answer yet. If you know of anything or can help me, I'd love a PM from you![/
size]

#13 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

Here are the ones I have confirmed that I use:

supermarket:

Burt's bees gloss (in the squeeze tubes) and the lipstick in the tiny chapstick-type tubes
carmex (can be used as gloss)
Ecco Bella (if you can find it)

Department Store or Sephora:

Chanel (all)
Nars (all)
Clinique (not all-- look at the label for the ingredients above)
Lancome Rouge Absolu
some Guerlain (do a search for the list posted on this forum)
100% pure glosses and cheek/lipstick all purpose tints (all)

It takes work to find this stuff out. It is also frustrating. But gluten-free lipstick is really important because you ingest a lot of it. Sorry-- yuckky, but true.

#14 grarya01

grarya01

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

:P Does anyone know which mainstream lipsticks are Gluten-Free? (Loreal, Maybeline, Almay, Cover Girl, Neutragena, etc. ) Brand or type? Thanks.

Hemp Organics is a really good organic lipstick that is gluten free as well as lead and petroleum free. http://www.vashonorganics.com sells it a reasonable price and offers free returns if you aren't satisfied with the color.

#15 Dancer15

Dancer15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have plenty of Lip glosses and checked the back for the ingredients above. I noticed it said "Soy derived ingredients" but I do not have any soy allergies. Does this mean that those ingredients are still of limits for those with GS (gluten sensitivity) and celiac?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: