This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Lipstick

Susan123

Susan123 Rookie
:P Does anyone know which mainstream lipsticks are Gluten-Free? (Loreal, Maybeline, Almay, Cover Girl, Neutragena, etc. ) Brand or type? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynskyj Newbie

Susan,

I read that Revlon Color Stay and Loreal Colour Endure are gluten-free. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. Other products may not be gluten-free.

Connie R-E Apprentice

Some Maybelline lipsticks are. Some Avon lipsticks are....

Better read all the labels just to be sure. It's different for each tube.

Here are some "hidden gluten" ingredients:

This information covers products marketed under the following

trademarks: Est

tonileet Newbie

Hi,

Connie - Thanks for posting the hidden gluten ingredients list. I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Susan - Neutrogena e-mailed me a list of their gluten-free products. I don't use lipstick and I don't even know what all of these products are, but they're lip-related in some way!

Instant Lip Remedy

Lip Boost Intense Moisture Lipstick SPF 20

Lip Boost Intense Moisture Therapy

Lip Moisturizer SPF 15

Lip Nutrition - All

MoistureShine Lip Gloss

Overnight Lip Therapy

Neutorgena offers approximately 100 gluten-free products. I'm sure they'd be happy to e-mail you a list, too.

Good day - Toni

Guest Libbyk

I am new to this, (diagnosed a few days ago) so my question is: do I REALLY have to worry about things like my lipstick? I have also heard I shouldn't lick stamps. for a newbie, it seams pretty unreasonable. I don't mind being careful, but I am starting to feel a little paranoid.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Even the miniscule amounts of gluten that are found can make us sick!! YES u have to worry about these things. Overtime you will get very sick (cancer, lupus, infertility, diabetes, seizures etc) if you don't take this seriously.

Buy the stamps and envelopes that are like stickers, and you don't have to lick them.

Lipsticks, hand lotions, face lotions, toothpaste, are all things that you might think they might not matter, but they do. What happens when you use some hand lotion that has gluten, it gets under your fingernail and then you go to eat and you ingest some of that lotion!! YUCK!! Pretty soon your stomach doesn't feel so great, you get diarrhea and just can't figure out where it came from!!

You will thank yourself later for being very careful!! Trust us on this!

Best wishes-

Jessica :D

Susan123 Rookie

Thanks for all the info. It is really hard to find this info on the web! I like Neutrogena so I am going to try the MoistureShine Lip Gloss. Also, I emailed Revlon to check out the Colorstay. I don't wear lipstick everyday but I do like to wear it for special occasions and I don't want to feel bad on that special occasion because I used lipstick. When I email these cosmetic companies is there a way I should word my question. I just asked if gluten (wheat, oat, barley or rye) is used in the production of the product, in the product itself or is on the equipment used to manufacturer other products that contain gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Susan123 Rookie

Are the above hidden-gluten ingredients for all lipsticks/cosmetics? I went out last night and bought some lipstick. I went off a gluten-free list I found from a reputable source. Well come to find out that both that were supposedly safe had some of the ingredients listed above. Now I noticed that my hand lotion has an ingredient in it too. Urghh!!

• 1 month later...
gf4life Enthusiast

I was just wondering about the Soy Derived Ingredients off that list that Connie posted. Soy doesn't have gluten, so are they adding gluten into the soy ingredients? I'm just wondering, because my lipstick has TOCOPHERYL ACETATE , and that is the only questionable ingredient from this list. I am just wondering, since I will need a new tube soon, and I would hate to go buy a new one if it has gluten in it.

On the old board we had quite a long list of lipsticks that were gluten-free. I'd like to see that going again, since it is hard enough to find a color I like, let alone have to worry about gluten!

Mariann

• 2 years later...
oceangirl Collaborator
I was just wondering about the Soy Derived Ingredients off that list that Connie posted. Soy doesn't have gluten, so are they adding gluten into the soy ingredients? I'm just wondering, because my lipstick has TOCOPHERYL ACETATE , and that is the only questionable ingredient from this list. I am just wondering, since I will need a new tube soon, and I would hate to go buy a new one if it has gluten in it.

On the old board we had quite a long list of lipsticks that were gluten-free. I'd like to see that going again, since it is hard enough to find a color I like, let alone have to worry about gluten!

Mariann

Lancome has a line called Rouge Absolu which is gluten-free. It's $20-SO, pricey. But it lasts and is very nice.

lisa

• 1 year later...
linda7276 Newbie
Some Maybelline lipsticks are. Some Avon lipsticks are....

Better read all the labels just to be sure. It's different for each tube.

Here are some "hidden gluten" ingredients:

This information covers products marketed under the following

trademarks: Est

• 7 months later...
knowurgluten Rookie

This makes me so frustrated that they just can't put on there whether it's gluten free or not. How in the heck can we know every little detail on everything. You mean to tell me that we don't have the resources to make this info available on the package?

Lisa16 Collaborator

Here are the ones I have confirmed that I use:

supermarket:

Burt's bees gloss (in the squeeze tubes) and the lipstick in the tiny chapstick-type tubes

carmex (can be used as gloss)

Ecco Bella (if you can find it)

Department Store or Sephora:

Chanel (all)

Nars (all)

Clinique (not all-- look at the label for the ingredients above)

Lancome Rouge Absolu

some Guerlain (do a search for the list posted on this forum)

100% pure glosses and cheek/lipstick all purpose tints (all)

It takes work to find this stuff out. It is also frustrating. But gluten-free lipstick is really important because you ingest a lot of it. Sorry-- yuckky, but true.

• 11 months later...
anon524718 Newbie

:P Does anyone know which mainstream lipsticks are Gluten-Free? (Loreal, Maybeline, Almay, Cover Girl, Neutragena, etc. ) Brand or type? Thanks.

Hemp Organics is a really good organic lipstick that is gluten free as well as lead and petroleum free. Open Original Shared Link sells it a reasonable price and offers free returns if you aren't satisfied with the color.

• 2 years later...
Dancer15 Newbie

I have plenty of Lip glosses and checked the back for the ingredients above. I noticed it said "Soy derived ingredients" but I do not have any soy allergies. Does this mean that those ingredients are still of limits for those with GS (gluten sensitivity) and celiac?

mushroom Proficient

I have plenty of Lip glosses and checked the back for the ingredients above. I noticed it said "Soy derived ingredients" but I do not have any soy allergies. Does this mean that those ingredients are still of limits for those with GS (gluten sensitivity) and celiac?

No, the way they worded this statement the information was provided for those who have a cross-sensitivity to soy.

faithforlife Apprentice

This is a huge help! Thanks everyone!

• 1 year later...
rubyred1 Newbie

physicians formula has a lot of gluten free makeup.  I just had to replace all of my makeup and I couldn't find much at our local stores.  It says Gluten Free right on the box. 

Ruby

• 3 weeks later...
ktylizbth Newbie

I really like Red Apple Lipstick. You should check them out. 

• 4 weeks later...
cayrien Newbie

So… My favourites which are certified and/or tested gluten free are Bite Beauty (a Canadian company that has opened a store in New York, but is also available on Sephora.com) and Ilia Beauty (which apparently is available in stores but no where near me, so I typically get them online as well). I've heard great things about Red Apple Lipstick, but haven't had the chance to try them yet.

The biggest thing for me is gluten, however, a lot of commercial/big name brands also contain lead and other heavy metals in addition to tons of chemicals that are impossible to say 3 times fast, so, the three lipstick brands I listed above are a more 'clean' alternative.

• 1 year later...
Susan- Newbie
On 1/2/2004 at 0:43 PM, Susan123 said:

I've been feeling really sick lately and started keeping a food diary thinking I had something new other than gluten (I do have Celiac's) and lactose to add to my list, and here I think it was my make up.  Lipstick in particular that I thought were safe are NOT - including cover girl, Loreal, and Tarte.  If you go to their sites they specifically say they are NOT gluten free.  What I've found out, and someone may have mentioned this, is that Vitamin E is often derived from wheat germ.  I just ordered some Bite lipstick from Sephora which is CERTIFIED gluten free, and I really like it.  I ordered some samples from RedApple who is also gluten free.  I'm not sure if I'm going to toss all my makeup, but my loose powders, I'm going to stop using too from Tarte (who used to claim to be gluten free).  I ordered some Bare Minerals which seems to be okay for most Celiacs and a friend suggested Pacifica Beauty which is also gluten-free (and apparently available at Target). I haven't tried them yet, but she is a beauty blogger and likes them not because she's gluten-free.  Open Original Shared Link

BDD Apprentice

Yes, vitamin E is often listed as Tocopherol or Tocopheryl acetate. I'm really confused about tocopheryl acetate, though. Some places seem to say there is no gluten left in the tocopheryl acetate because it is so processed. I can't seem to find any reliable information.

psawyer Proficient

Well, you can consider me to be a reliable source or not, as you may choose. Tocopherols are highly processed and purified, and contain no detectable gluten, regardless of the original source.

BDD Apprentice
On 12/25/2015 at 11:11 PM, psawyer said:

Well, you can consider me to be a reliable source or not, as you may choose. Tocopherols are highly processed and purified, and contain no detectable gluten, regardless of the original source.

How do you know?

psawyer Proficient

Sorry for the late response. I have not been on for a while due to things in my personal life.

Every credible source that I have ever  seen lists tocopherols as gluten-free. In the Canadian Celiac Association's Pocket Dictionary, tocopherols are on the list of safe food additives. That is good enough for me.

Here is another source Open Original Shared Link

Archived