This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Daily Eating Habits

TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

So I'm wondering if any of you who have had this for a while just don't eat bread replacements? I've made some and while they are okay and even good it's alot of trouble. And it seems there is still the issue of cc with mixes. (I think I may have had an issue with a Bob's Red mill mix--not sure) I thinking eating could still be very enjoyable. I can think of lots of things that it would be easier to forgo the bread all together. If I make a pie for the family instead of making two crusts I could have the filling only, right? I'm talking small adjustments like that. I'm a good baker so it isn't that I'm overwhelmed by it. I think maybe I want to break my attachment to bread all together.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
So I'm wondering if any of you who have had this for a while just don't eat bread replacements? I've made some and while they are okay and even good it's alot of trouble. And it seems there is still the issue of cc with mixes. (I think I may have had an issue with a Bob's Red mill mix--not sure) I thinking eating could still be very enjoyable. I can think of lots of things that it would be easier to forgo the bread all together. If I make a pie for the family instead of making two crusts I could have the filling only, right? I'm talking small adjustments like that. I'm a good baker so it isn't that I'm overwhelmed by it. I think maybe I want to break my attachment to bread all together.

Yes, in our gluten-free house, bread is basically gone. It is much easier, cheaper, and IMO healthier.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I seldom use bread.

I generally eat an egg in the morning on top of a Van's gluten-free waffle.

For lunch, most of the time I either eat leftovers or stop at the salad bar at Wild Oats. Sometimes I'll make myself some meat and veggies.

Other than the egg sandwiches hubby makes for me, I can't tell you how long it's been since I've had a sandwich.

jerseyangel Proficient

It took a lot of trial and error, but I did find a bread mix that I enjoy, fits in with all of my food sensitivites, and is easy to make.

I bake a loaf about every 2 weeks or so, slice and freeze it for when I want toast. That's about the only way I eat it--unless it's first-day fresh, it's not ideal for sandwiches.

annie-is-GF Newbie

I tend to eat rice bread in the morning because I need something that really fills me up quickly and gives me energy... but sometimes I think that it isn't worth it, because frankly, the bread is sticky and has a strange flavour, and I don't feel so great after eating it. I think it's a good idea to stay away from unnecessary breads although I don't want to be TOO strict... after all, staying away from gluten and dairy is hard enough in itself for me to have to worry about avoiding gluten-free breads as well :)

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I only use the bread substitutes occasionally. The very few made when I went gluten free were hard to find and not very good. I use corn tortillas and rice cakes.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I, also, rarely use bread. I make the bread usually for my son, who occasionally will have some. Otherwise, its breadcrumbs or croutons.. love them that way.. sooo good! Bread, even though I have found some good ones, we just arent interested in anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I've never been much of a bread eater so giving it up didn't take much thought for me.

I haven't been gluten-free very long and am surprised how easy has been getting used to eating burgers without the bun.

I still have to have my occasional bagel though!

annie-is-GF Newbie
I've never been much of a bread eater so giving it up didn't take much thought for me.

I haven't been gluten-free very long and am surprised how easy has been getting used to eat burgers without the bun.

I still have to have my occasional bagel though!

Mmmm, bagels... I like gluten-free bagels just as much as regular bagels, as long as they're toasted. Cinnamon-raisin toasted with butter are yummy :)

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

It's funny, I was a big baker...but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Man, that stuff was making me SO sick! I think of eating it and think of how it made me feel and NO WAY>especially since I think I got glutened two days ago. It's like a rerun of the last 13 years for me.

I'm not saying I won't ever whip up a batch of gluten-free brownies :P I am a girl after all! I just don't think I will make a big effort to replace wheat products with an analog on a daily basis. I will have to see if there is anything I really miss. But a burger without the bun is good with me. If I'm not always chasing down the ingredients for baking I won't get bent out of shape paying ten bucks for six bagels once in a while. :lol:

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I was never much of a bread eater before, and never with meals, so giving up bread hasn't been too much of a problem. Since I can't have egg (or the corn that's in EnerG egg replacer) what I end up with is a very less than adequate loaf of gluten-free bread. I have made some fairly good biscuits, though, and will serve them with a meal occasionally.

Now, I do want my crackers! And I've found a way to make nice crackers. So I'm satisfied.

I did bake some brownies and cupcakes when first going gluten-free, but since I tend to put on weight, it wasn't, and still isn't a good idea to have those things readily available.

dally099 Contributor

u know now that i think about it i eat way less bread products, i have a sweet tooth so there is allways some type of loaf in the fridge but it takes me a bout 2 weeks to eat it and i only have a bagel once in a while. funny how that is. my biggest thing is i like a cookie after supper. kinnik kinnik makes the best choco chip ones that are even soy free. you get used to it i guess, i bought some corn wraps man did they taste like crap threw them out. oh well have fun, youll find its not easy but it does get simpler. much healthier.

annie-is-GF Newbie

I find that rice crackers hit the spot once in awhile when I want something cracker-y. Not rice cakes... I hate those things... rice crackers. And there are a bunch of good flavors.

One thing that is really good is corn bread. It's way better than fake "white breads" because it doesn't need strange replacement flour... just corn flour and corn meal. More flavour, too. Really good with butter :)

Hmmm, apparently I like my butter?!

Nancym Enthusiast

I don't use bread replacements as I try to avoid all grains, beans and stuff like that. My health and weight are a lot easier to control without all that.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I have perfected a gluten free bread, I have posted the recipe on the same post as the most wonderful sandwich bread.. I make about a loaf a week my gluten eating boyfriend and family members also enjoy it if you cant find the recipe or would be interested in it I can post it again. My Cusinart bread machine has been way worth the investment

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I fall into the "way less than I used to camp"

I used to eat toast for breakfast, and sandwhiches nearly every day for lunch. Crackers and cheese late afternoon. Pasta all the time.

I buy the gluten-free bread, but I go through a loaf every 4-6 weeks, instead of a loaf in 3-4 days. and the loafs are smaller.

I don't eat pasta as much anymore. When I do, i use cheap asian rice noodles. Can't stand any of the fancy health store gluten free varieties.

I do buy and use the Whole Foods 365 brand rice crackers all the time. I have packets at home, in my office at school, in my truck, and at my mother in laws house. Pretty much my go to snack food.

Mostly I eat Eggs, Meat, Vegetables, cheese, and rice.

The only "food pretending to be something it's not" that I really like are the Glutiono pretzels, but at $6 a bag, I don't eat many.

krebbecca Newbie

So my question to all of you who don't eat bread anymore: What do you eat for lunch? I work so it isn't like I can prepare myself something during the day. I can't count on having leftovers all the time. I like being able to rely on a good 'ol sandwich when I'm running late in the morning... what types of things do you all eat that are light and easy to refrigerate and if needed, nuke in a microwave at work? Sorry - but I can't eat a salad everyday!

JerryK Community Regular

Most of the stuff that I've found is pretty crappy and not worth the trouble. You'd have to want a sandwich pretty bad to bother with most of it. The will slam me if they notice me saying this, but since I'm a man...working full time, with a family...I'm not going to bother with baking anything.

When I go shopping, I create a nice stash of Gluten Free items..and GOD help the person who touches them. :lol: The very best treat is a nice carton of Ice Cream...it makes you forget all about bread... :rolleyes:

Abbygail Newbie
I have perfected a gluten free bread, I have posted the recipe on the same post as the most wonderful sandwich bread.. I make about a loaf a week my gluten eating boyfriend and family members also enjoy it if you cant find the recipe or would be interested in it I can post it again. My Cusinart bread machine has been way worth the investment

After trying several different gluten free breads that were pretty much horrible, I finally bought a Cuisinart bread maker. It was a wise choice because it makes great gluten-free bread, even has a gluten-free setting - especially using skinnyminny's gluten free recipe that I found on here somewhere. It is so good that my non gluten-free husband really likes it too - Yay! No more gluten bread in the house. Sure makes life a lot simpler for me. :P

That is a really wonderful recipe - thank you so much for sharing it. I sub some of the rice flours with quinoa, millet, aramanth and flax meal. Makes for a nicely textured good tasting bread and toast. I hated peanut butter on rice cakes. :( Just didn't do the trick for me.

We eat more pasta than we used to because the Tinkyada rice pastas are very good and hubby says so much easier to digest than wheat pasta. The assorted rice crackers available are pretty good now that I am used to them. Don't miss the other ones as much as I thought I would.

On the whole, we eat a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables than we used to. This is a much healthier diet by far, except when I get carried away and make a coconut cream pie or something like that. :lol:

chocolatelover Contributor

Skinnyminny--I'd love to have you post your recipe again! I bake a fair amount and have found some really good mixes, but they're just so darn expensive!

Thanks,

CL

sparkles Contributor

Since discovering Whole Foods in Bloomington, MN, I have found several different kinds of bread that actually make good sandwiches. Unfortunately, I have gained 10# (which I do NOT need) and think it is time to give up the luxury of a sandwich for lunch and go back to leftovers. The bread, though good, is high in calories and not the size of a regular slice of bread and I have been making a sandwich and a half to fill me up. I have enjoyed the bread and the sandwiches but tooo much of a good thing is just that TOOOOO much! Whole Foods also has many many mixes which I have not tried but there again, I really do not need cakes and donuts and all that other stuff I was forced to give up when I went gluten-free. Though it is fun to have some of those things again... they are really high in calories and fat...neither one do I need!!!! and my budget does not need the price. I must remember ALL THINGS in MODERATION!

Yenni Enthusiast

I don't eat bread often. I haven't been able to find a mix or bread that my stomach aproves of.

I do miss it sometimes, but not as much as I thought I would.

wowzer Community Regular

So far I haven't found a bread worth eating since I've been gluten free. I did get some brown rice wraps that I liked for sandwiches. I've taken up making lettuce wraps or taking leftovers. I never was much of a sandwich eater before going gluten free. I do miss that Panera Bread Asiago Roast Beef Sandwich though.

skinnyminny Enthusiast
Skinnyminny--I'd love to have you post your recipe again! I bake a fair amount and have found some really good mixes, but they're just so darn expensive!

Thanks,

CL

Wet ingredients:

3 large eggs (I use to whole eggs and 2 whites)

1 tsp cider vinegar

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Hi there.

Yeah, bread is not an often thing...I make a loaf of the Lorka150 Gluten Free Flax Bread once every couple of weeks. I usually eat about half of it the first couple days, then the last half gets ground into bread crumbs (great ones, btw). I'm finding for a sandwich, I absolutely love wrapping fresh turkey or ham lunchmeat (we gotta good deli near us) with some american cheese, squirt of spicy mustard, slice o tomato....all in a leaf of romaine lettuce. It's like the "unsandwich". But I love it. I'm also growing really fond of fresh corn tortillas. My next trick is to learn how to make them, I just need a tortilla press and I'm all set! I pan fry them, add salt, add chicken, cheese, scallions, diced tomato and poof....chicken taco! :D

I eat Van's waffles a lot...almost every day. I like the Enviorkidz cereals too (careful, not all are gluten free).

Lunch is always a salad, if I want something crunchy on it, I add nuts or crushed up corn chips.

Dinner is easy, I'm always the chef so it's meat/poultry, potatoes/rice/quinoa, & veggies.

I do bake, ALL THE TIME. I have to say, baking is a passion of mine. I'm realearning the craft and still love it just as much. Just last night I made a chocolate chip torte that was outstanding! MMMMM.

Brownies, cookies, muffins are mostly what I've been doing, but I even made my own doughnuts a few weeks ago from the recipe on this site. They were so good and tasted just like Munchkin's.

When I can make it myself, I am less tempted to have it.

I can't believe I picked up a Dorito the other day and almost ate it. On purpose. I just wanted one so bad. Then days of the big D and being exhausted flashed before my eyes and I didn't do it. It was tempting though.

I try really hard to focus on what I CAN have that tastes really good. And then I feel good. When watching commercials seeing things that I'll most likely never have again, that bums me out!

:) Thanks for posting the bread recipe again skinnyminny...I printed it this time!

Archived