17 replies to this topic

#1 mamaloca2

mamaloca2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone kno wif there is a connection between Celiac disease and habitual biting of the inside of the mouth. I have done it since I was a kid and now my son who is only four does it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 chrissy

chrissy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

sounds more like an obsessive-complulsive behavior-----and OCD can run in families.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#3 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:18 AM

Wow. I have done this as long as I can remember. My dad used to say "Jenny stop it," all the time. I tend to do it when I am very nrevous or watching TV. I don't know if there is a connection but you are not alone.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#4 Kellygirl

Kellygirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

Wow. I have done this as long as I can remember. My dad used to say "Jenny stop it," all the time. I tend to do it when I am very nrevous or watching TV. I don't know if there is a connection but you are not alone.

Yep I am obsessive complusive and I do it all the time, even while sleeping. I am celiac too, but I never really questioned if they go together or not!

Kelly

#5 mamaloca2

mamaloca2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

sounds more like an obsessive-complulsive behavior-----and OCD can run in families.

I don't have any other traits that are OCD. And I only really bite them when a am stressed. I just noticed when I got glutened that I did it much more, and thought there could be a connection.

#6 mamaloca2

mamaloca2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

Us too! Even if it's not related to celiac, seems like there's got to be something more to it. Thanks for your reply!

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

I used to have similar sorts of stuff happen, but by accident. Usually it was my lip that got chomped :angry: Thankfully, this has subsided/disappeared, and I believe the key was a sublingual methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplement. Either that or it just took time, but I notice that my teeth are straighter too, and no longer have the aching that would come and go.

Still a bit of teeth clenching, but not as bad as it used to be.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

I actually trained myself to do this. On gluten or under great stress I am a teeth grinder. I have broken them in my sleep, those good old celiac teeth, and I do it to keep from grinding. Perhaps a mouth guard might help you and your son, your dentist can give you one with the best fit. Another thing that helps, at least for me, is a hot compress on my cheek before bed. When I get glutened it helps my muscles to relax and I don't do as much grinding and biting. Plus it feels very soothing.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

I used to accidentally bite the inside of my mouth and once I did it, it seemed like I did it several times, each time very painful. Hadn't thought much about it until reading these posts. That's a good thing cause that means it "ain't " happenin' anymore!!!!!!
Robin from Indiana

#10 zakismom

zakismom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

I used to do this all the time! I also used to bite my lip until it turned into a bump. I don't do it as much but I do know that if I get glutened I get a mouth sore.
diagnosed 1/04 endoscopy; gluten-free ever since!

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

I do this all the time, although it could be not just an ocd but in some cases a tourettes thing.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#12 Stargirl*

Stargirl*

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hi.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. ;)

My daughter bites the inside of her cheeks and lips. I have put it down to the mouth ulcers she used to have until the gluten intolerance diagnosis.
Me - gluten-free since August 2006. Very positive dietary response reinforced by gluten challenge.

11 yo daughter - Positive blood results August 2006.

#13 mwahlman

mwahlman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:30 PM

You may be refering to TMJ. I was recently diagnosed with this by my dentist, around the same time as my Celiac Diagnosis.

I am unsure if the two are directly related, or if I just have been lucky finding medical professionals who arent qwacks lately.

"TemporoMandibular Joint and muscle disorders" The following article goes over the specifics:
http://www.cnn.com/H...y/DS/00355.html

Does anyone kno wif there is a connection between Celiac disease and habitual biting of the inside of the mouth. I have done it since I was a kid and now my son who is only four does it. Does anyone else have this problem?

#14 kilcan

kilcan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

Interesting, I would have never connected the two. I do it alot (ugh the scars!), and my mom, who never knew she did it, went to a special dentist the other day and the lady goes "wow, you really bite your mouth alot, huh?" The dentist said she is probably doing it in her sleep without realizing it. I have Celiac, and she is suspected of having it.
~Sorry for the million questions, I really want to learn as much as I can!~
04/07 - Diagnosed Fibromyalgia
05/07 -Diagnosed Celiac from test & symptoms - scheduled for biopsy
~Also intolerant to milk, soy & beef
Daughter - 2yo - tested negative 03/07 for Celiac
-allergic to milk and soy
-retesting Celiac soon due to symptoms
~

#15 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

I am mildly OCD and I compulsively scratch my lips with my teeth. I'm assuming this is about the same as what you guys are talking about. Luckily, most of my OCD symptoms disappeared when I went gluten free. Unfortunately, this one hasn't gone away completely. It has gotten better though since going gluten free. I think there's definitely a connection with OCD and gluten.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: