This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Tummy Discomfort And Excersize

ginap73

ginap73 Apprentice

Can excersizing cause stomach discomfort? I have been responding well to the gluten free diet. but when I started excersizing 2 days ago, i have been sick non stop almost. and still on the diet.

so I am wondering if the excersizing is just stimulating intestinal/digestive tract.

Has anyone else had this happen with excersizing??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zkat Apprentice

Excercise tends to help me feel better. Have you added anything new to your diet in the past couple of days?

• 1 month later...
a1sacch Rookie
Can excersizing cause stomach discomfort? I have been responding well to the gluten free diet. but when I started excersizing 2 days ago, i have been sick non stop almost. and still on the diet.

so I am wondering if the excersizing is just stimulating intestinal/digestive tract.

I have serious troubles when i run. My sister and I both have Celiacs, and we call the pain "alien babies," because thats what i imagine it feels like.

We both run alot, she played college lax, and i play college soccer. At the end of a long run, when you sprint the last bit, thats when it tends to get me. or if i did a really hard workout, i head straight to the bathroom. it seems that the pain is really concentrated in my lower stomach (below the belly button) and the only thing that makes it better is laying in the fetal position. Also, the Big D comes along with the pain for both of us.

I know this isn't really helpful information, but sometimes its nice to commiserate. My only suggestion would be to make sure you are 100% gluten-free, even a little bit tends to get stirred up when you run.

also, maybe try lighter workouts?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Are you doing a lot of ab work? That can cause me discomfort.

Please, tell me about your avatar.

a1sacch Rookie
Are you doing a lot of ab work? That can cause me discomfort.

Please, tell me about your avatar.

no, its not the ab workouts.

• 1 month later...
sandylulu Newbie
I have serious troubles when i run. My sister and I both have Celiacs, and we call the pain "alien babies," because thats what i imagine it feels like.

We both run alot, she played college lax, and i play college soccer. At the end of a long run, when you sprint the last bit, thats when it tends to get me. or if i did a really hard workout, i head straight to the bathroom. it seems that the pain is really concentrated in my lower stomach (below the belly button) and the only thing that makes it better is laying in the fetal position. Also, the Big D comes along with the pain for both of us.

I know this isn't really helpful information, but sometimes its nice to commiserate. My only suggestion would be to make sure you are 100% gluten-free, even a little bit tends to get stirred up when you run.

Hi, I am exploring this issue myself, about the stomach cramping/pain. Occasionally, over the years, after a hard workout, I would get these intense cramps, lower abdomen, lying in fetal position would help, felt like menstrual cramps, These were always a mystery, until it happened again, intensely, 2 weeks ago, and then again two days after that. Then the cramping didn't go away. It stayed, dull, aching, mild. This led me to go to my PCP and I was dx with Ceilac disease. My questions are, did you have the cramping before you started your gluten-free diet? And, what do you think causes the cramping-the jarring that the intestines take while we are running?

Thanks. I am still trying to understand that my symptoms are from Celiac.

binky1246 Rookie

I have this problem when I run. If I ride my bicycle, it doesn't seem to happen. I have also noticed that after I run and get the pain, I have to go to the bathroom. It seems to me that the running helps get things moving. It makes me feel a little better that I am not alone. This has only started since I have been gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast
Hi, I am exploring this issue myself, about the stomach cramping/pain. Occasionally, over the years, after a hard workout, I would get these intense cramps, lower abdomen, lying in fetal position would help, felt like menstrual cramps, These were always a mystery, until it happened again, intensely, 2 weeks ago, and then again two days after that. Then the cramping didn't go away. It stayed, dull, aching, mild. This led me to go to my PCP and I was dx with Ceilac disease. My questions are, did you have the cramping before you started your gluten-free diet? And, what do you think causes the cramping-the jarring that the intestines take while we are running?

Thanks. I am still trying to understand that my symptoms are from Celiac.

I know everyone has different physical and intestinal reactions to gluten. However my gluten reactions felt like bits of broken glass stuck in my intestines, but my dairy reactions felt more like intense menstrual cramps. Do you consume dairy? You may have a dairy allergy (to the milk protein casein), rather than just a milk intolerance (to the milk sugar lactose) like most newly diagnosed celiacs. Lying in the fetal position helped me cope with those cramps. Peppermint tea also decreased the pain.

I always feel BETTER after exercising. However I walk, rather than run, and do yoga and pilates positions, rather than intense aerobics. The gentle stretching and walking movements help move painful gas through my intestines. Before my celiac diagnosis I ran BEFORE eating breakfast to avoid pain. Then I realized the cereal (wheat), the milk (dairy) and the soy protein on my cereal CAUSED the pain. Nevertheless I now prefer to walk or bike, rather than run.

BURDEE

pinky Apprentice

i am a runner and get horrible stomach pain if i run after i've eaten really ANYTHING in the last several hours. i try to exercise first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and that seems to do the trick. i am running my first half marathon on sunday though, so i'm going to try to have a protein bar (or half of one at least) before and cross my fingers!

sandylulu Newbie
I know everyone has different physical and intestinal reactions to gluten. However my gluten reactions felt like bits of broken glass stuck in my intestines, but my dairy reactions felt more like intense menstrual cramps. Do you consume dairy? You may have a dairy allergy (to the milk protein casein), rather than just a milk intolerance (to the milk sugar lactose) like most newly diagnosed celiacs. Lying in the fetal position helped me cope with those cramps. Peppermint tea also decreased the pain.

I always feel BETTER after exercising. However I walk, rather than run, and do yoga and pilates positions, rather than intense aerobics. The gentle stretching and walking movements help move painful gas through my intestines. Before my celiac diagnosis I ran BEFORE eating breakfast to avoid pain. Then I realized the cereal (wheat), the milk (dairy) and the soy protein on my cereal CAUSED the pain. Nevertheless I now prefer to walk or bike, rather than run.

BURDEE

I do consume dairy. I love cheese. It is my all time favorite food. Sour cream is high on the list as well. I never thought that they might be the culprit. Is there a test to dx the allergy to casein? Peppermint tea and pills seem to soothe my stomach a little also. Thanks for the feedback.

sedunk Apprentice

Before I found out I had Gluten issues I would have horrible pains in my left side during exercise. Especially if it was high impact! I find that biking, walking and swimming are the best for me.

Happy Exercising

Sara

tarnalberry Community Regular

regardless of what I eat, running can 'stimulate my intestines', which can be uncomfortable. it's usually something I can work through, however, and definitely something I can train through, given time and patience.

ZoFlies Newbie

I used to get pains like this as well when I was in the process of distinguishing my diet. I was a dancer - and danced a lot. Sometimes I would have to leave class early, and more me this was really embarrassing!! The thing that helped me get through this was pilates and a bit of abdominal stretching. I do not have to worry about these pains any more. Could be from getting my diet to the exact place my body needs, could be to the added stretching, could be the pilates. My guess it is a combination of all three. I really found that my stomach was best during and after I completed my pilates certification to become an instructor (when you do a lot of pilates in a concentrated amount of time)- this could have also been coincidental timing of diet though, as well. It's worth trying some abdominal stretching and pilates though. If you're curious for more- check out my profile.

May you all find relief soon!

• 1 month later...
nc42700 Newbie

I have the same problem when I run. I have read that running and/or any strenous activity can disrupt the digestive tract. I actually now take medications such as Protonix and Carafate which seem to help. I have also found drinking something lukewarm about 30 minutes before I run helps my stomach as well. You might be interested in the following book: Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition which has a section devoted to GI complaints from running.

Can anyone recommend some ideas about recovery foods or carb loading for endurance training that are of course gluten free?

THANKS!

K.

billcorno Newbie

Hi. I started using Accelerade when it was the sponsoring drink for a marathon I ran. It is a good recovery sports drink, with vit C. and E and some magnesium. And of course, there's always Gatorade, which is also gluten-free.

Just some suggestions...

BillCorno

<<Can anyone recommend some ideas about recovery foods or carb loading for endurance training that are of course gluten free?

THANKS!

K.>>

• 1 month later...
HealthyMaryAnne Newbie
Hi. I started using Accelerade when it was the sponsoring drink for a marathon I ran. It is a good recovery sports drink, with vit C. and E and some magnesium. And of course, there's always Gatorade, which is also gluten-free.

Just some suggestions...

BillCorno

<<Can anyone recommend some ideas about recovery foods or carb loading for endurance training that are of course gluten free?

THANKS!

K.>>

zkat Apprentice

If you spend any time on the running forums, you quickly learn that this is not an issue only celiacs. A lot of non-celiac runners have digestive problems. Some of it relates to the body's reaction to high threshold excerise, especially running.

As far as recovery carbs. I LOVE Endurox and Accellerade, but they both contain soy and I am soy free. I switched to Hammer Nutrition b/c it is Gluten and soy free and also like it.

For carb loading there are a lot of options, just not at the spaggetti dinner the night before the marathon! Seriously, rice pasta, rice, potatoes, fruits and vegetables. My personal preference is fruits and vegetables, and I try to only eat grains around work-outs (don't always succeed, but I try)

What distance are you training for? We are aiming for a half in Feb.

Kat.

HealthyMaryAnne Newbie

I really found this forum interesting. You are right there are many runners especially with tummy problems. But it was exactly this problem that led me to searching out why I had so many ongoing problems. And some runners have no problems at all. So I am wondering if at least some of these "non celiac" runners may just have an intolerance to something.

And I don't know if it is due to the mileage, my age or just me, but I am really sensitive. And I am still trying to sort this all out. I feel like I am on so many meds, vitamins and restrictions that it gets downright crazy. Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...
sickchick Community Regular

I get terrible diahrea on days I exercise (which is 7 days a week) everything goes through me. Also I can't drink water because that gives me diahrea. I started eating psyllium capsules it helps a little but I have to eat a lot. About 8-10 at a time...

I have only been gluten free for a month and a half so I am crossing my fingers it gets better for me

goodluck to you guys

Archived