This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Visiting Florida

Mc'nFeedahfan

Mc'nFeedahfan Newbie

Hello there!

I'm a giril from the Netherlands, Europe.

I'm taking a holliday to Florida, but I have Coeliac disease, does anyone know, where I can buy glutenfree food? It has to be wheatfree as well.

Can I buy anything in supermarkets?

Or at pharmacy's?

Or do I have to bring everything with me from home?

Please help me out!!!

I'm leaving next friday.

I know about Mc Donalds already, but I need to know about everything else besides that.

I will be very thankfull

byebye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

billfl Newbie

I live in central Florida, and there are several stores in the Orlando area that have a lot of gluten-free products. Most of the chain grocery stores do not contain many gluten-free products. However, check Open Original Shared Link for a list of "normal" food products that all grocery stores stock that are gluten-free. For example, some Progresso brand soups are gluten-free....their ingredients list states "contains wheat" when appropriate.

If you are coming to central Florida, let me know, and I will post the names and addresses of the stores that specialize in organic/gluten-free products.

Have a great vacation.

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know Florida specifically, but most "health food" stores or co-ops carry more specialty gluten-free foods. You can find them in the phone book's yellow pages.

Most of the fast food places now have a page on their web site that eiher has a gluten-free list, lists the major allergens in each item, or has complete ingredients for each item.

Outback, Carraba's, PF Chang's and Bonefish Grill all have online gluten-free menus and a locator to see if they have a branch in areas where you'll be.

And many Florida restaurants offer fresh grilled, baked or steamed seafood that should usually be safe.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
AbbyinUtah Newbie

I am also going to Florida on vacation (in November). This will be my first gluten-free, etc. vacation. I'm not expecting too many problems. There is a Wild Oats in Ft. Lauderdale where I can shop and probably other health food stores. I am bringing a travel toaster and some food items to get me started. Anyone have any other ideas?

AbbyinUtah :D

• 1 month later...
YankeeDB Contributor

Many cities in Florida have Whole Foods markets that have a variety of gluten-free foods as well as organic produce to offer. Have fun! Florida is so beautiful!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I'm in Stuart, Florida right now (just north of Palm Beach) and although there isn't a Whole Foods or Wild Oats near by I was surprised that the local Publix and Winn Dixie both had health food sections with gluten-free pastas, cereals, cookies and such, so I'm doing ok here.

Susan

Archived