4 replies to this topic

#1 LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

About a month ago I was eating corn tortilla shells and I noticed I started itching, so I stoped eating them and haven't had them since. Well.....last night I just wanted to make sure that it was the corn and not anything else so I decided to try some corn chips again...I started itching almost intantly so i stoped. I am definitely sensative to corn, not sure why though.

So here is why I think my stomach hurts and have D. A while ago I was eating some crambled eggs for breakfast and not an hour later I had a massive stomach ach and D. So I took that as maybe the eggs are causing my problems. I quit eating eggs and yes...yesterday I tried some eggs again. I felt fine after eating them, but today my stomach hurts and I am having D. I know I am not suppose to reintroduce stuff all at once, but I did. :huh:

My questions is what do I do? I know I can't eat corn. But was it the eggs or corn that made my stomach hurt today? Why all of a sudden, well since being diagnoised that I am having problems with food I use to eat all the time without a thought? My body seems to repsond really well, no pain, D or anything, to fruit, veggies, salad and meat. That diet it obviously very limited so I guess that is ok right? Why is it that after I eat potatoes my stomach gets really bloated? I have a hard time understanding why all of a sudden my body is reacting to everything, however I understand why I have problems with dairy but other than that I am confused. Please help.
~KIMBERLY~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

I'm not sure how long you have been on this gluten-free diet. Maybe try the strict diet you listed for a few weeks and let your body recover. It is a good idea to get used to listening to your body and you seem to be doing that well.

Once you go gluten-free the sligtest amount of gluten will give you a bad reaction, worse than before you went gluten-free. Don't know why, this is just what happens.

For me, before knowing I had Celiacs certain foods would make me dizzy, others would make me vomit, etc. I think it was just my body on over drive mode. Now most of those foods are fine for me to eat.

If you are getting itchy after eating certain foods, you might want to make sure you have Benedryl with you in case you are having an allergic reaction to the food - I think you said it was corn. See if you can get an allergy test. They do skin tests and blood tests.

Hope you feel better

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

Some food issues will come and go, and some of them are more long-term. Sometimes your body is still healing and your system is still too delicate.

For me, if I eat raw veggies or even an apple, it's still too hard on my stomach. I feel like I'm trying to digest rocks. If I eat even a very small baked potato, I get bloated and it sits in my stomach like a lump of concrete for a couple hours.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Kimberly, you sound like you are intolerant to lectins (like me). Those include all grains (including corn and rice), eggs, all dairy, all legumes (including peanuts and soy) and nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, eggplant).

Check out this website to find out more: The Lectin Story

I try once in a while to have one or the other of those, since you're not supposed to be intolerant to more than one or two groups for more than a year. Today I ate some yogourt, and promptly have a sore on the tip of my tongue (that happened last time as well, so I guess dairy, even yogourt, is still out).

I can eat some potatoes (no skin) once or twice a month. More than that, and I'll be sick. Rice is almost as bad as gluten grains, and causes almost identical symptoms.

I usually only eat meat and vegetables, and peeled pears. I have a very limited diet. But I don't have a choice, really, now that I know how to avoid feeling so terrible.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for the advise. I was doing great and thought I might see how things go. Obviously my body didn't like that idea. I will stick with what I was doing before. My body knows better than anyone else what is likes and doesn't and I think this was a sign! Thanks again to all.
~KIMBERLY~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: