This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My First Foray Into Baking Gluten Free...

SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

This weekend, being it was that time of the month and I was craving bread and cookies, I made gluten-free cookies and bread!

I first attempted NoGluGirl's chocolate chip recipie. I modified with real butter not margerine. They turned out great... they didn't spread out into big cookies, kinda stayed in the ball shape I put them in. Not a problem really, just need to makes smaller cookies... the big ones were still gooey inside.

Next time I'm going to use dark brown sugar... I like more molasses in mine.

Then I used Gluten Free Pantry french bread mix to make bread. It was all going fine... till the bread exploded! Ok, I guess it didn't explode... it out grew the pan. I put it all back in and punched it down a bit. It came out fine, little heavy, but I think all gluten-free breads are like that right?

It was a good experince, I am encouraged!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

It's a great day when you bake and it works. I've had the best luck with muffins so far. I have baked some cookies too. All we can do is keep trying.

ArtGirl Enthusiast
... it out grew the pan. I put it all back in and punched it down a bit. It came out fine, little heavy, but I think all gluten-free breads are like that right?

It's a wonder it raised up again - usually one doesn't do two risings of gluten-free bread. If only I could have that problem, bread rising too much. But I have to bake egg-free and no bread ever turns out all that well without it.

You should give the bread mix another try and watch it more closely so it doesn't get away from you again. I think the result will be a much lighter bread. I hear it's really good.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
It's a wonder it raised up again - usually one doesn't do two risings of gluten-free bread. If only I could have that problem, bread rising too much. But I have to bake egg-free and no bread ever turns out all that well without it.

You should give the bread mix another try and watch it more closely so it doesn't get away from you again. I think the result will be a much lighter bread. I hear it's really good.

I will definitly give it a another try! even as it was it was great.

Yeah I kinda lost track of time... I have ADD and things like remembering food is in oven, on stove, bread rising, water boiling, the oven is on, that I need to refrigerate milk, all sorts of things go wrong when I cook!

I am supposed to avoid dairy.... At least for now.. still trying to figure out if it is lactose or casien. I don't think I could live without eggs. Well i said that about Gluten.... and i'm still saying it about dairy. (dairy is so much harder!)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Good to hear the baking went well. I am also starting to get into the cooking and baking a bit more. Being gluten free is opening a whole new world of food up to me, and I finally got over the ugh! bump and now it is fun and experimenting. Hope you have more great results.

Archived