This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Why Won't The Weight Come Off?

Anteau25

Anteau25 Apprentice

I have gained 13 pounds since going gluten free at the end of August. In the beginning I did not exercise at all due to the lack of energy and sleeping all the time.

Now I live off mostly fruits, vegetables, and chicken. I exercise regularly and I can't shed a pound!

I started exercising regularly about 3 months ago. After 3 weeks I GAINED 2 pounds. Even though I was frustrated, I continued and lost the 2 pounds but am staying at a steady weight.

Can someone please explain to me the connection of celiac disease and trouble losing weight? I know we absorb more after going gluten free, but I have more energy now and am so much more active.

I want to go to the beach this summer and wear a bathing suit, but it's not gonna happen if I don't get my weight down. I'm just feeling down because I'm trying so hard and not getting any results.

I am also a type1 diabetic and thought maybe it was my thyroid. I just had bloodwork and saw my endocrinologist. My thyroid is fine, and she said it's not diabetes related.

Anyone have tips, advice, or can lead me in the right direction? The slightest glimmer of hope?

I would appreciate it so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest lizajane

I have the same problem with weight. But I eat mostly the gluten free food which is very high in calories, but I love to eat. I justify it by saying I have given up so much food already, that I refuse to give up everything!! I am also lactose, soy and corn intolerant too!

Guest jokamo

Anteau25,

I am right there with you! I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and gained 50 pounds on prednisone and since going gluten free, I can't seem to get the wieght off either. <_< Sorry I don't have any tips for you. Just wanted you to know that you are not the only one out there.

Good luck!

Jodi M. ;)

Anteau25 Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. It does make me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one struggling with this. I guess I'll just keep working on it.

Electra Enthusiast

I'm right there with you. I gained 20 pounds since going gluten free and I am having such a hard time getting it off. I have to keep my calorie intake at around 800 calories a day or I gain weight. UG I'm starving to death here and I've only lost 7 pds. It's taken about 5 weeks to lose that much too.

My philosophy is that our motabolism is so screwed up from living with Celiac all these years that our body still thinks we are starving even though we are getting enough. Our bodies have gotten to the point of where they are so used to being without the proper nutrition that even when we get it our body goes into reserve mode and holds onto every ounce of calories it can get. It's a survival instinct for the body, and I think at this point It will be impossible for me to convince my body otherwise lol!!

It really sucks, but (for me) it's reality :(

It must be nice to have gotten some energy back. I still haven't gotten there. I am more exhausted now then before I found out I had celiac, so that makes it even tougher to lose grrrrrrrrr!! Celiac, Pernicious Anemia, and Narcolepsy are not going to help me out in the energy department lol!! Good Luck I hope you start losing soon, and don't give up!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have too gained about 20 lbs since going gluten free, and I cannot get rid of it. I am going to the gym, I do not eat chips and snacks. I have the occasional cookie and ice cream. I feel so ugly these days because a few coworkers are losing their weight. It is bathing suit season. :ph34r: Some of my summer clothes I used to look great in I now look dumpy. I gained all my weight in my tummy area/thighs and some butt fat. SO if I put on tank tops I look bigger than I am because if I get the size that truely fits, it sits nice on my lower half but the top is big and baggy and looks bad. Glad to see others know where I am coming from.

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I'm right there with you. I gained 20 pounds since going gluten free and I am having such a hard time getting it off. I have to keep my calorie intake at around 800 calories a day or I gain weight. UG I'm starving to death here and I've only lost 7 pds. It's taken about 5 weeks to lose that much too.

My philosophy is that our motabolism is so screwed up from living with Celiac all these years that our body still thinks we are starving even though we are getting enough. Our bodies have gotten to the point of where they are so used to being without the proper nutrition that even when we get it our body goes into reserve mode and holds onto every ounce of calories it can get. It's a survival instinct for the body, and I think at this point It will be impossible for me to convince my body otherwise lol!!

It really sucks, but (for me) it's reality :(

It must be nice to have gotten some energy back. I still haven't gotten there. I am more exhausted now then before I found out I had celiac, so that makes it even tougher to lose grrrrrrrrr!! Celiac, Pernicious Anemia, and Narcolepsy are not going to help me out in the energy department lol!! Good Luck I hope you start losing soon, and don't give up!!

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I am not sure your height but even though you are trying to loose weight 800 calories is too little just for your body to function if you laid in bed all day you still would need at least 1200, your calorie intake may be too low your body thinks its starving and it is trying to hold on to everything. Try to eat first thing in the morning it revs your metablism up and portion control the rest of the day. smaller more frequent meals will increase your metabolism. I Hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ann1231 Enthusiast
Anteau25,

I am right there with you! I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and gained 50 pounds on prednisone and since going gluten free, I can't seem to get the wieght off either. <_< Sorry I don't have any tips for you. Just wanted you to know that you are not the only one out there.

Good luck!

Jodi M. ;)

Jodi, I feel like I could have written this post. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. With prednisone, I have also gained 50 pounds. I can't seem to get the weight off either.

I have recital, graduations and then a very formal event coming up and I am so embarrassed because nothing fits at all and I can't afford to buy all new clothes. It's very frustrating...and now I'm flaring and need more prednisone. ugh....

Ann

dragonmom Apprentice

I don't have any drug related issue with my weight gain. I just keep adding to my body , I stopped making my gluten-free goodies, just ate meat cheese, and veggies. lost 6 pounds and then it just came back. I am just one large pound attractor. :o I just keep plugging away. Good luck

• 2 months later...
Gwenny Newbie

Dairy that isn't low fat isn't going to help. Since I started eating low fat and cutting down on the dairy intake has really helped the scale for me. I'm doing weight watchers and using the flex point system. Those gluten free goodies suck when it comes to points, they aren't so good for you. I found that I was eating what I thought were light meals, but actually were larger portions than I thought, thus more calories.

I am eating small meals, several times a day and sticking to my points and getting exercise. The weight stopped going up and is slooooowly going down.

Before I found out about celiac, I had lost 40 pounds in just a little bit of time, now a one pound loss is difficult.

Archived