Buttered Popcorn?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jokamo_*

Guest_jokamo_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hey everyone! Hope you all are doing okay! :P
I have a question. The other day I ate a small amount( thank goodness) of buttered popcorn. It was the kind that you get at a small carnival, (a small rolling concession stand with small bags). I figured it would be okay since I have eaten microwaveable popcorn without any problems. I know it was the popcorn because it was the only thing I had eaten that afternoon(I didn't eat breakfast). I ate it about 12 noon and by 5 pm I was sooo bloated, that I looked like I was 6 months pregnant (I'm not). :o Has anyone ever had problems with butter on the popcorn. I can't eat anything with caramel coloring in it even though in the US it is "supposed" to be made with corn, but I am not sensitive with corn. I get really sick with the caramel coloring, I can't figure out why. And I also get sick with Maltodextrose (Splenda). I am confused. How come I can eat corn chips or taco shells or just plain corn without any problems, but I can't eat an addidtive that is supposed to be made from corn??? I don't get it!!! <_<

Sorry for ranting. Just trying to figure this out so that I don't get sick anymore, because when I get sick, not only do I get the stomach pain and D but My lupus and Fibromyalgia flare up and cause extreme pain for days and sometimes weeks depending on what I ate!!! :(

Thanks for the help!

Jodi M.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TLT

TLT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

I can eat popcorn with butter if I air pop it and melt butter, but the stuff out makes celiac go off, maybe it is a mysterious ingredient in the butter stuff they put on it. I would avoid.

#3 ginghamkim

ginghamkim

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi!
I'm a popcorn lover and just had to respond. When I went gluten-free, I gave away all my microwave popcorn. I can't remember the ingredients specifically, but it has all kinds of bad stuff in it...msg (can be labeled something different), soy, artifical butter flavor...who really knows what it is. I agree with TLT, air-popped is best. I stay away from dairy (newbie) and use olive oil with curry, ginger, sugar, and salt...yummy. I noticed that its not the butter I craved, but the salt (watch out blood pressure) :P

I would give popcorn another shot...eat it air-popped or pop it with olive oil (not canola, corn, vege/soy) and salt. ;)

Good luck,
Kim
Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.
Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.

#4 ptkds

ptkds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

So, are yall saying that microwave popcorn is bad?? I eat it all the time (which is really wierd, because before I couldn't stand popcorn). I don't have a reaction at all. If I had to use an air popper all the time, we would NEVER have popcorn!

Thanks,
ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#5 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:12 AM

Act II and Scout popcorn are gluten-free - at least in Canada.

I have a hard time believing it was the butter. I'd suspect the flavouring salt before I'd suspect butter-esque topping.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#6 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

I just saw something on CNN last night about a condition called popcorn lung. The butter flavoring contains a chemical called diacetyl and it apparently made a lot of factory workers sick so I guess it's possible that if you eat popcorn every day that it could affect you in some way. I had to cut out the bagged popcorn because something in it disagreed with me.

Here is an article from the Washington Post about popcorn lung.

http://www.washingto...7050601089.html

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#7 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

What about light butter flavour by Great Value brand (Wal-Mart Canada)? It lists natural and artificial flavours in the ingredients. Does anyone know if this is gluten-free? I can't find anything online. I've got such a craving and it's the only kind in the house right now!

Jillian

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Among the microwave popcorns I don't know of any that have gluten. You might want to avoid them for all the other things they have, but that's your choice.

As for rolling popcorn stands, theaters, fairs, and amusement parks, nobody can say that without a doubt all are gluten-free. However, we do know that the most popular popcorn flavoring or fake butter in the U.S. -- Flavacol (sp??) -- is gluten-free, and of course real butter would be gluten-free. This is another category where, in 8 years, I have yet to find one with gluten -- at least among the ones I've been able to check.

richard

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Most microwave popcorn is in fact very bad for you. You can get some plain popcorn with no oil, salted or unsalted that is not bad for you. Bearitos is one brand and so is Garden of Eatin'. There is another. Farmer something or other. I want to say Farmer Steve.

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

want 'air popped' popcorn without pulling out the air popper?
put a 1/4 cup of popcorn (kernels) in a lunch sized paper bag; roll the top up two or three times, and staple each side (at least three inches apart). pop in the microwave (the staples are far enough away that they will not arc and are safe) for somewhere between 1.5 and 3 minutes (take out when the rate of popping really falls off).

tasty, and easy!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I eat microwave popcorn all the time. Never had a problem. I like it real yellow and buttery so I only pop it about half way. Lots of unpopped kernels but the popped ones are oh so good! I don't believe there's gluten in there, but you just might not tolerate the oils and such for some reason. I realize it's probably not the most healthy thing one could eat, but given that I can't eat all the other unhealthy things I used to love, I think it's a pretty good trade off.

My fav is Pop Secret extra butter. Super cheap at Walmart.

best regards, lm

p.s., That "popcorn lung" is only a problem for the factory workers. And one poor schmuck who ate like 15 bags a day and purposely inhaled the steam from all the just popped microwave bags he cooked.

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#12 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

The last 2 times the family and I had popcorn at the theater all 3 of us got sick. The first time I didn't think anything of it, since we all got sick at different times. We go to the theater so rarely I didn't put two and two together until we all got sick again, this time within about an hour of one another. They definately changed something. I don't know what it is thou. We just won't eat it anymore.

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:51 AM

What theater chain? Did you check ingredients? Is there some weird situation where CC could be happening? I ask because this would be a help to everybody here. This is the first I've heard in a VERY long tome of anybody suspecting gluten in theater popcorn.

richard

#14 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I eat carmike cinemas buttered popcorn. not those gourmet ones though. havent been brave enough to try those. but as far as the buttered popcorn, i havent had a problem. other than feeling too full because some days too much corn gives me almost like indigestion maybe? not sure. but ive never been glutened is my point here.

#15 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

The theater is Regal cinemas. I didn't bother to ask, since it is usually kids running the place and trying to get a manager that has a clue would have to be just short of an act of god. I doubt it was cc, since my daughter is not a person who reacts to cc. We just won't eat it anymore, even if the ingredients are "safe". We got bit twice and won't try it a third time. It always has a fake powdery buttery taste to it anyway thay I didn't care for much anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: