7 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:51 AM

Zelnorm, made by Novartis, was pulled off the market on March 30, 2007: http://www.webmd.com...n-off-us-market

It was prescribed to people diagnosed with IBS.

I can't help wondering how many of those people to whom it was prescribed actually have celiac, and their doctors never bothered to look for it but just handed them a prescription.

I noticed in my local paper today ads about this from some of the law firms who specialize in medical malpractice. I was thinking this might be another way we can get celiac awareness "out there." We can contact these law firms and give them info about celiac, which should totally win their cases for them, both against Novartis and against the doctors who wrote a band-aid prescription without ever looking for a dietary cause of symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

I thought this part was interesting. I'm sure these patients don't try gluten-free diet before their doctors pronounce their condition unresponsive to any other treatment.

Though the drug will no longer be widely available, patients who have no other treatment options could still get access to the drug. The FDA said it is likely to allow Novartis to continue selling Zelnorm to patients if their doctors say they have disease that does not respond to any other treatment and if the benefits of treatment with Zelnorm outweigh the risks of serious side effects.

#3 MrsM

MrsM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

I noticed that the Zelnorm story on WebMd has a link to a WebMd message board: http://boards.webmd....child=.89531f86

One person posted a message saying that if she/he can't take Zelmorn anymore, she/he will go back to the Atkins Diet "which seemed to help". If someone here has a username/password at WebMd, it may be worth posting a reply letting that person know that gluten intolerance could be the problem.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

I was put on Zelnorm prior to my diagnosis.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

Ugh. This is why I consider the first few years of a prescription being out on the market to just be another phase of their clinical trials. Soooo many drugs get pulled that I wouldn't trust anything until it's been out on the market for a few years.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

I was put on Zelnorm prior to my diagnosis.

Did it help you?

#7 Anonymousgurl

Anonymousgurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

I was put on zelnorm by a doctor who refused to test me for anything. He said that all I had was IBS. I took zelnorm for a year, and it made me even sicker. It was horrible. Finally I switched to a private M.D. who practices alternative medicine and he took me off of zelnorm immediately and started testing me.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Did it help you?

Did it help me? I never thought that I could regulate it, or rather regulate me. I do recall that it kept me in the house in the morning for several hours. I don't remember any side effect other than that. Soon after that Celiac kicked in, and found way no need for it.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: