This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worst Response From A Restaurant Yet!

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

We have a new food allergy in the family, so I started e-mailing the customer Service departments of restaurants to see if they could accomodate us. I include basic information about all of the allergies and ask if they can help me find foods that we can eat at their restaurant. I usually state that if it is easier, they can send me ingredient lists. Most companies write back about which foods would be safest, ask for more info, or call to talk to me. I have been to Maggianos years ago, pre-celiacs and food allergies, and I would loveto be able to go to the one near where I live. Here is the response I got:

-----------------

Dear *****,

Thank you for your inquiry and for your interest in Maggiano's.

In reference to your request for ingredient information, we require a physician's request to

release ingredient information for our proprietary menu items.

Please have your physician fax a letter to our Quality Assurance department at our

corporate office in Dallas, Texas. The letter should include the name of our menu item(s)

in question. The fax number is 972-628-8142.

Thank you.

Maggiano's

Guest Relations

Ref # 640742

----------------------------

I mean really. Like my doctor is going to sit there and write out a letter asking for eveything on their menu??? Or better yet, he is going to sit their and analyze what items on their menu are possibly gluten-free and ask for that info.

I just find it offensive. It's like saying I'll accomodate you and your family if and only if your doctor says I have to. I have enoughtrouble with school having that attitute. I'd rather get a letter stating "due to the nature of the foods we make and the likelihood of cross contamination we do not feel we can feed you and your family safely at this time."

Has anyone else had this problem???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jennyj Collaborator

That is unbelievable that they would do that. How dare they ask for a doctor's note. I am so sorry you got that response from a company. I have only been told a couple of times at a place that they couldn't accomodate my needs with a particular item but they did do a substitution. I hope you have better luck in the future. It is frustrating when someone is that inconsiderate.

2kids4me Contributor

I would guess someone in upper management is concerned that it is someone trying to get their recipes and are wanting verification that you do indeed have food allergies and your inquiry is a legitimate request. It seems silly I know but there are people in this world that would be deceitful and try and get ingredients lists in this manner to copy a recipe and sell it. Usually when policies are developed (such as needing a physician request) it is because someone has lied to them before.

The physician wouldn't have to review it - - my interpretation is that they are looking for confirmation that your request is legitimate. The physician's office could just give you the information that the company sends to them.

Sandy

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've been to several different Maggiano's and they are very accomodating to those with food intolerances. The chef comes to your table and discusses your intolerances with you then comes up with something he can make. They even have gluten-free pasta.

I'll admit, the person you heard from needs to learn something about customer service, but the restaurant is one of my regular spots because they take good care of me.

Karen B. Explorer

When I was diagnosed, my doc gave me a generic letter that said roughly "she has Celiac which requires a lifelong gluten-free diet which means no wheat, rye, barley or oats" and I've used that when traveling, when I have a problem from the insurance company (I won't use generics) and that would be a very handy solution here. But if you were trying to get their proprietary recipes, what makes the company think you wouldn't make up a fraudulent doc letter or get a Celiac to make the request?

Sounds like the Corporate Office needs to re-think (IMO).

2kids4me Contributor
what makes the company think you wouldn't make up a fraudulent doc letter or get a Celiac to make the request?

Thats why they requested a fax transmission, they can confirm if its legitimate.

At a restaurant level , I've never had problem either - chefs very accomodating. Its upper management who spends too much time "thinking" that comes up with these things...

Sandy

Juliebove Rising Star

That's terrible!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

I just had a recent experience like this from Dove (soap) company regarding their ingredients too. I laughed after CSR said it and she even thought over what she said to me when I said to her "Yeah, right. You can't get a doctor to review what he needs to review, you're expecting one to review ingredients, yet for no fee?" She too thought it was a stupid thing to ask the consumer to have done.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Yes, I found the need for a note from my dr to be obsurd. I don't want the recipes and most restaurant understand that. I'll be calling to talk to a Mgr, so I'll post the result of the phone call. I hope it is just a huge misunderstanding by the legal dept.

GinaO Rookie

We have a new food allergy in the family, so I started e-mailing the customer Service departments of restaurants to see if they could accomodate us. I include basic information about all of the allergies and ask if they can help me find foods that we can eat at their restaurant. I usually state that if it is easier, they can send me ingredient lists. Most companies write back about which foods would be safest, ask for more info, or call to talk to me. I have been to Maggianos years ago, pre-celiacs and food allergies, and I would loveto be able to go to the one near where I live. Here is the response I got:

-----------------

Dear *****,

In reference to your request for ingredient information, we require a physician's request to

Please have your physician fax a letter to our Quality Assurance department at our

corporate office in Dallas, Texas. The letter should include the name of our menu item(s)

Thank you.

Maggiano's

Guest Relations

Ref # 640742

I mean really. Like my doctor is going to sit there and write out a letter asking for eveything on their menu??? Or better yet, he is going to sit their and analyze what items on their menu are possibly gluten-free and ask for that info.

I just find it offensive. It's like saying I'll accomodate you and your family if and only if your doctor says I have to. I have enoughtrouble with school having that attitute. I'd rather get a letter stating "due to the nature of the foods we make and the likelihood of cross contamination we do not feel we can feed you and your family safely at this time."

Hi There.....

Here was there response to me in Cleveland Ohio:

May 11, 2007

Dear Mrs. ***

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Maggiano's menu items. At this time

we are unable to provide a listing of our menu items that contain ingredients excluded

from a gluten-free diet.

Please advise your server of your dietary restrictions and ask to speak directly with a

chef. Our chef will be happy to visit your table and then suggest and prepare a meal that

will meet your dietary requirements.

Again, thank you for your interest in Maggiano's.

Maggiano's

Guest Relations

Ref # 640038

kerrih Rookie

That is soooooo rediculous!!!! You should report that to the health dept. or FDA. Everyone who has a product for consumption has to have labels and ingredient lists.

Kerri :blink:

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

How weird! The one Celiac support group here went out to eat at a Georgia Maggiano's and I am sure no one had to bring a doctor's note.

jerseyangel Proficient

I emailed them a while back, and I was simply told they do not have a gluten-free menu. I was a little surprised because I'd seen where people here had had good experiences with them.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I can understand their concern about IP theft. (intellectual property)

But they've not tried to work with the customer to find a middle ground.

(My understanding is that, to a restaurant, asking for the ingredients *is* tantamount to asking for a recipe, which is their intellectual property. They have a right to not share it - as much as we have a right to never do business with them. ;) )

CarlaB Enthusiast
How weird! The one Celiac support group here went out to eat at a Georgia Maggiano's and I am sure no one had to bring a doctor's note.

They don't require a doctor's note to tell you whether or not gluten is in a menu item, they said they wanted a doctor's note to give out the proprietary information about all the ingredients. I think it was a misunderstanding of the request.

They've always told me everything in what I order.

I emailed them a while back, and I was simply told they do not have a gluten-free menu. I was a little surprised because I'd seen where people here had had good experiences with them.

They don't, but they send the chef to your table to talk with you. I think it's a good idea that they don't have a gluten-free menu but do it this way as they can work better with various food allergies. As we all know, many celiacs have much more than gluten intolerance.

I've had a great meal at the three different Maggiano's I've been to in three different cities.

Vince Newbie

-----------------

Dear *****,

Thank you.

Maggiano's

Guest Relations

Ref # 640742

I am a Celiac and can top that story, though it wasn't a restaurant. I was flying US Air going from Philly to West Palm Beach. On the plane for a flight that short they only offer pretzels, so I politely asked if there were any gluten free substitions because I was a celiac and the flight attendant's response was "US Air quit the restaurant industry years ago"....Needless to say I will not be flying that airline anytime soon. Though, ESPN club in Disney World is excellent. The chef personally came out to both take my order and go over what what gluten free and what wasn't and deliver my food.

jerseyangel Proficient
They don't, but they send the chef to your table to talk with you. I think it's a good idea that they don't have a gluten-free menu but do it this way as they can work better with various food allergies. As we all know, many celiacs have much more than gluten intolerance.

As well I know!

It's good that they handle food intolerance on an individual basis, but they didn't mention anything about it in the email I got from them. Possibly the person who answered me wasn't up to speed, who knows...but that was my experience.

mamabear Explorer

Well.......about 3 years ago , DH and I and another couple went to LuLu Grille in Memphis and I was just learning the ropes in the restaurants. I explained to the waitress that I couldn't eat wheat or flour , and that I needed to know what was in the food I ordered,etc.. She wasn't the brightest kid...and this was reinforced when she brought bread to the table and said "I didn't read the label, but I'm pretty sure there is wheat in it"!! Then when I was trying to pick an entree.....she said I couldn't have the pasta......well, at least she was on full target with that! Then I asked about the special as compared to another fish dish, and it LOOKED like I could get that gluten-free. When the grouper got to the table, it was suspiciously golden.....I tried to pick it away from the light crust and got so frustrated I asked for the chef. Long story short, the waitress got it right......the chef deliberately dusted the grouper in flour "So it wouldn't stick in his pan"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"And it wouldn't look pretty"!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he copped a HUGE attitude. Needless to say, I've never returned there.......that chef has since moved on to another restaurant. Guess that's my worst response from a restaurant! The manager did apologize.

bluejeangirl Contributor
I can understand their concern about IP theft. (intellectual property)

But they've not tried to work with the customer to find a middle ground.

(My understanding is that, to a restaurant, asking for the ingredients *is* tantamount to asking for a recipe, which is their intellectual property. They have a right to not share it - as much as we have a right to never do business with them. ;) )

I agree with tarnalberry on this one. I don't think they're playing hard ball here and all they want to know is are "you" really legit and then they'll release information and then you can decide what ingredients they use are good or bad for you your doctor won't have the time to do this.

Gail

Archived