This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recently Placed On Gluten Free Diet

proudmomof2

proudmomof2 Newbie

I have been dealing with abdominal pain since Last February. I have had my gallbladder removed, several ERCPs which resulted in my bilary duct being opened. I was okay but never better for a few months and by December of 2006 was in immense pain all over. My GI decided to do another ERCP and opened up my pancreatic duct this time. Resulting in pancreatitis and a 1 week hospital stay. I was and still am in pain worse than before. My Celiac tests came back normal several times so my GI dismissed it. REcently I switched GIs who is ordered other Gastric tests but meanwhile my other covering Internist (who I also work for) put me on a gluten free diet and told me that even though the blood tests were negative/normal doesn't mean I am not gluten sensitive. This was last Thursday- I started the diet on Saturday and just find it hard as I am a carb lover and have a husband and 2 children to cook for. We live a busy live and I am trying my best to adjust. My daughter is only 3 and doesn't understand why I can't eat what they do. I have stuggled with eating disorders in the past growing up and worry that my mindset will go back there again while changing my eating habits. So far I am still in pain but have lost 2.5 lbs since Saturday so I am happy about that but find everything so overwhelming and so much stuff not clearly labeled. I stumbled upon this site over the weekend while I was searching for more info and decided to join today. I really hope this solves my problem but know it may not. Is it bad that I hope this is the problem. I could use as much advice as possible as no one I know deals with it. I also have found information about it being a "family" thing also and wonder if it could be what my sister has and not IBS as well as my mom. The one thing I have noticed is I can eat dairy and not get an upset stomach since I have cut out the gluten. Trust me one icecream used to send me running within an hour so that was a nice to know. Sorry for rambling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Piccolo Apprentice

Dear Proud mom of 2

Welcome to the board. You will find a wealth of information here. I know it is overwhelming at first. It is best to start out simple just use fresh chicken, vegetables, rice etc. It is easier to cook the same for the whole family rather than differnt meals. Hope this helps and welcome.

Susan

mn farm gal Apprentice

It seems hard at first but each day gets better. knowing you can't have what you use to and finding subsitutes. But I have found after a few months that I think my taste buds have changed and I now like things I never thought I like before. Good luck!

mftnchn Explorer

Welcome to this board! This is a place where you will find support and many ideas. Keep reading and looking at the older posts too.

Here's what I do when I have a specific question: I open the main topic that seems the closest fit (like "coping with celiac"). Then at the bottom of the page where there is a search, I put in as many terms as I can think of that would help me find the answer. Quite often I find a whole wealth of responses to my question, sometimes posted as long as a couple of years ago.

I am not quite 1 month gluten-free, so I am still adjusting to everything too. It does get easier once you have some menus and recipes in mind, and also know where to buy what you need.

If you can't find what you need, ask away!

mftnchn Explorer

One more idea, this week I have had guests to cook for. I planned lunches and dinners and snacks to be gluten free for everybody. Breakfasts they have gluten bread and so forth. We worked out a plan for where they use the bread, and what utensils, etc., and they clean up after themselves (the glutened items), and I do the rest. Then the rest of the day we don't worry about cross contamination so much.

I found the more gluten-free your kitchen can be, the easier it is!

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Welcome to the board.

I spent hours and days (for about three weeks) on the board, searching and reading. I learned SO MUCH in a very short period of time. Knowledge is power, and with it comes confidence.

In my signature you'll see several links to articles and lists that are very helpful to the newly diagnosed - all from the celiac.com main site.

It would be very helpful for you and a lot less stressful if, when you cook meals, that you make the whole meal safe for you - that is, gluten-free. As you search this board you'll find many tried and true gluten-free recipes baked goods - most of them are undetected as being any different than their gluten counterparts.

Again, welcome to the beginning of the good life - one in which you feel great and can enjoy to the fullest.

BridgetteB Newbie

I too am new to celiac disease. I understand the frustration, I have a husband and child to cook for, prepare lunches etc...I tried doing seperate pasta, meals but that is too much work. I now do as much gluten free for all of us, to save time-not $$$

The hardest part of this illness is not at home-it is at work, when someone brings doughnuts etc, and social functions.

I miss things like real beer!!! The gluten free is ok, but not great.

I have gained 10lbs since starting this diet which is frustrating. Any suggestions on bread that tastes good would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

QTGirl78 Newbie
I have been dealing with abdominal pain since Last February. I have had my gallbladder removed, several ERCPs which resulted in my bilary duct being opened. I was okay but never better for a few months and by December of 2006 was in immense pain all over. My GI decided to do another ERCP and opened up my pancreatic duct this time. Resulting in pancreatitis and a 1 week hospital stay. I was and still am in pain worse than before. My Celiac tests came back normal several times so my GI dismissed it. REcently I switched GIs who is ordered other Gastric tests but meanwhile my other covering Internist (who I also work for) put me on a gluten free diet and told me that even though the blood tests were negative/normal doesn't mean I am not gluten sensitive. This was last Thursday- I started the diet on Saturday and just find it hard as I am a carb lover and have a husband and 2 children to cook for. We live a busy live and I am trying my best to adjust. My daughter is only 3 and doesn't understand why I can't eat what they do. I have stuggled with eating disorders in the past growing up and worry that my mindset will go back there again while changing my eating habits. So far I am still in pain but have lost 2.5 lbs since Saturday so I am happy about that but find everything so overwhelming and so much stuff not clearly labeled. I stumbled upon this site over the weekend while I was searching for more info and decided to join today. I really hope this solves my problem but know it may not. Is it bad that I hope this is the problem. I could use as much advice as possible as no one I know deals with it. I also have found information about it being a "family" thing also and wonder if it could be what my sister has and not IBS as well as my mom. The one thing I have noticed is I can eat dairy and not get an upset stomach since I have cut out the gluten. Trust me one icecream used to send me running within an hour so that was a nice to know. Sorry for rambling.

Welcome,

As everyone has said you will find a bevy of information and support here.

Info from Open Original Shared Link

Dietary recommendations:

* Because malabsorption is prevalent with celiac disease, daily vitamin and mineral supplementation is essential. Important supplements for celiac disease include iron, B vitamins, magnesium, calcium and vitamin D.

* Add organic extra virgin coconut oil to your diet to benefit from healthy plant-based saturated fat.

* Add foods rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids to your diet in the form of ground flax meal, wild-caught salmon, minimal-mercury albacore tuna, walnuts, fish oil, and sprouted walnuts.

* Eat plenty of vegetables and vegetable juices (kelp, sprouts, green and black olives, peppers, spinach, chard, celery, zucchini).

* Add nutrient-dense and unprocessed foods such as sprouted nuts and seeds to your diet.

* Drink purified water throughout the day.

Foods and other products to AVOID include:

* All foods that contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

* All processed foods that contain gluten as an ingredient. Read all processed food labels carefully for hidden gluten. Foods that may contain gluten include canned soups, salad dressings, ice cream, candy bars, instant coffee, luncheon meats, ketchup, mustard, processed and canned meats, yogurt, and sausages.

* All supplements that contain gluten. Wheat starch can be used as a binding agent in tablets and capsules.

* Cosmetics. Gluten can be found in cosmetic products such as lipstick.

* All grain alcohols such as beer and malted liquors.

* All dairy products, since those with celiac disease also tend to suffer from lactose intolerance.

* All foods containing refined sugar or artificial sugar-substitutes such as aspartame, Splenda

proudmomof2 Newbie

Thank you so much for the info so far. Keep it coming as I keep reading whatever I can find. Unfortunatley financially right now I can't switch everyone to Gluten free. We are on a very small income as my husband is disabled and we are almost 2 years into court battles. For now I have been avoiding anything with Gluten and been making my meals seperately. I also have food that is just mine. It has really raised questions for me about my mom and sister and they are looking into being tested etc.

I did have a reaction last night after eating dinner out with my mom. I had ordered fried apples and didnt hink to ask how they are cooked. Well I realized last night by the time I got home something was up. Sure enough I called the restaurant this morning and they come frozen with preservatives, etc. It has been a challenge when going places and I find myself loving chicken and baked potatoes becuase I know they are safe. lol

Karen B. Explorer
----snip----

I did have a reaction last night after eating dinner out with my mom. I had ordered fried apples and didnt hink to ask how they are cooked. Well I realized last night by the time I got home something was up. Sure enough I called the restaurant this morning and they come frozen with preservatives, etc. It has been a challenge when going places and I find myself loving chicken and baked potatoes becuase I know they are safe. lol

The problem with the fried apples may not be preservatives but with the oil in which they are fried. If they fry gluten containing item like chicken nuggets in the same oil, the oil becomes contaminated with tiny bits of gluten that get stuck to your food.

loco-ladi Contributor

First Welcome, here you will find great people who have gone through all this before you and have invaluble advice mixed right along with others at the same stage as you are, you will gain knowledge from their questions and they in turn gain from yours.

Start slow and easy and I say that from my vast 2-1/4 months gluten-free expirience! It does and will get easier to shop for food and in my case having the "urges" to eat the foods of my past has forced me to find alternatives, they must be out there and I will find them... and when I do I will share my finds with others!

KarenDianne Newbie

Thanks so much for the info. You're only the 2nd person I've talked to here...juts discovered this thread and I'm soooo glad I did! I've had celiac disease for many years and didn't know it. The past two months have been pretty bad and I finally went to the drs. I read about everyone trying to lose weight here...I've gone from 128 pounds to about 111 in about 3 weeks and I'm starving! It scares me to realize the weight I've lost...I do write down everything I eat and sometimes can find the culprit when I have problems but often times don't have a clue as to what I ate that caused my misery. It's so frustrating (not to mention painful and discouraging). I appreciate any practical tips on food you can give me. Right now it's chicken, plain, baked or mashed potatoes and vegetables. Made vegetable soup with gluten-free noodles and it tasted great - and then gives me really bad gas/heartburn and I'm always eating Tums. How do I combat that?? I'm considering ordering meals from the gluten-free Mall just to have something to eat. Any tips will be greatfully appreciated! Thanks very much!

KarenDianne

Welcome,

As everyone has said you will find a bevy of information and support here.

Info from Open Original Shared Link

Dietary recommendations:

* Because malabsorption is prevalent with celiac disease, daily vitamin and mineral supplementation is essential. Important supplements for celiac disease include iron, B vitamins, magnesium, calcium and vitamin D.

* Add organic extra virgin coconut oil to your diet to benefit from healthy plant-based saturated fat.

* Add foods rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids to your diet in the form of ground flax meal, wild-caught salmon, minimal-mercury albacore tuna, walnuts, fish oil, and sprouted walnuts.

* Eat plenty of vegetables and vegetable juices (kelp, sprouts, green and black olives, peppers, spinach, chard, celery, zucchini).

* Add nutrient-dense and unprocessed foods such as sprouted nuts and seeds to your diet.

* Drink purified water throughout the day.

Foods and other products to AVOID include:

* All foods that contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

* All processed foods that contain gluten as an ingredient. Read all processed food labels carefully for hidden gluten. Foods that may contain gluten include canned soups, salad dressings, ice cream, candy bars, instant coffee, luncheon meats, ketchup, mustard, processed and canned meats, yogurt, and sausages.

* All supplements that contain gluten. Wheat starch can be used as a binding agent in tablets and capsules.

* Cosmetics. Gluten can be found in cosmetic products such as lipstick.

* All grain alcohols such as beer and malted liquors.

* All dairy products, since those with celiac disease also tend to suffer from lactose intolerance.

* All foods containing refined sugar or artificial sugar-substitutes such as aspartame, Splenda

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thank you so much for the info so far. Keep it coming as I keep reading whatever I can find. Unfortunatley financially right now I can't switch everyone to Gluten free. We are on a very small income as my husband is disabled and we are almost 2 years into court battles. For now I have been avoiding anything with Gluten and been making my meals seperately. I also have food that is just mine. It has really raised questions for me about my mom and sister and they are looking into being tested etc.

Dear proudmomof2,

I had my gallbladder out several years ago at 20. It turns out, gallbladder disease is common among Celiacs! Who knew? :o I still have to watch my fat intake closely. Since you have had a cholecystectomy as well, and pancreatitis, it is important you do not overdo the fat. Eating out is dangerous for us. Your Internist is correct about the blood tests not being accurate. :huh: I was told mine were fine, but my new holistic physician told me that she has had a handful of patients who were Celiac but testing did not reveal it. I have been gluten-free since August of last year! I used to have such bad reflux that I had to take Prilosec twice a day and sleep practically sitting straight up! After going gluten-free, I can sometimes get away with taking only one Prilosec, and sleep lying down! :) I have a typical Celiac history, too. I had digestive problems from birth, have been anemic, have Thyroid disease, and had my gallbladder out.

Dear proudmomof2, BridgetteB, and KarenDianne,

Welcome to the board! I have a present for you! I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine*

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*