8 replies to this topic

#1 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:22 AM

I just had a nasty reaction to Arrowhead Mills soy flour. I opened a new bag yesterday, and it was the only suspicious food I ate all day. I know they DON'T use separate lines for their gluten-free flours.

I am really MAD about this--especially since I am sensitive to eggs and have found that soy flour really improves the quality of egg-free gluten-free baked goods! It infuriates me that I CAN'T FIND an OK brand of soy flour! Bob's Red Mill soy flour is processed on the GLUTEN LINES, so I can't trust it, and I have a hard time finding the only other brand I know about (Fearn--and I haven't even checked on the possibility of cross-contamination there yet).

GRRR.... If anybody knows of a safe soy flour, please let me know! Thanks!

--Sarah
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

Bob's said they are careful about cleaning their lines, and I've never reacted to their soy flour. (Finding a dedicated line is hard, as they're expensive.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 taneil

taneil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:23 PM

Do you know if your might be having a reaction to Soy? I can't have soy because it messed with my hormones.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

#4 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

taneil,

I doubt I am reacting to soy, since I have made these same recipes using soy before with no reaction whatsoever. I also eat tofu with no problem.

My reaction was identical to the first ones I ever had, which were all triggered by barley (not wheat), so I strongly suspect contamination of the lines. Actually, I personally suspect that trying to wash barley off of the equipment is futile--that stuff is incredibly sticky when wet! I bet they'd have better results blasting the equipment with air!

--Sarah
Sarah

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:21 PM

I recall seeing posts in the past noting trouble with Arrowhead Mills and cross contamination issues. Not as bad as the Lay's reputation, but still...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:01 AM

I worked at a health food store for a while and we received numerous customer complaints regarding Arrowhead Mills. I haven't looked in a while because I don't use their products, but I recall that they can only say their products are "made with non-gluten ingredients", NOT gluten free. Funny, because they make a couple "gluten free" baking mixes, but they're not actually "gluten free". What's the point??? :blink:
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#7 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:45 AM

I know. It's ridiculous!

--Sarah
Sarah

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:27 AM

We had to stop using all of Arrowhead Mill products because of cross-contam problems. This is really a problem because they are touted as "Ok" by dietitians and nutrionists and health food store workers. Only celiacs know the truth.
Perhaps you can find soy flour made by Ener-G? They have website.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:11 AM

Thanks, debmidge! I'll check it out.

My situation just got more complicated, though, and it turns out that the soy flour may not have been the culprit after all. It's so frustrating! The timeline went as follows:

1.) made muffins using new bag of soy flour
2.) placed muffins on cooling rack right next to stove; ate muffin
3.) made brown rice pasta from Trader Joe's for dinner (with homemade Sicilian broccoflower topping that was definitely inherently gluten-free)
4.) ate dinner
5.) went to bed feeling fine
6.) woke up the next morning having to RUN to the bathroom, with nausea and rotten-egg burps

Yesterday, I had the leftover pasta for lunch--and today I woke up with gas, a twinge of nausea, and very loose stools, a slightly less intense version of the same reaction.

So it must have been cross-contamination of the pasta, although there is a chance that muffin crumbs found their way into the meal. Still, if we're only talking a few crumbs containing a trace of gluten, I don't imagine my reaction would have been that intense. I'm just SO confused! I suppose now I'll have to test a muffin, since I don't really want to waste money by unnecessarily throwing out a brand-new bag of flour.

And I'm even more confused because all of my previous similar reactions were triggered by barley, not wheat, and my recent reactions (I assume to wheat, since it is harder to avoid) have been very different in character. (I thought I was getting less reactive as I healed, but apparently not!) Yet I would expect that pasta would be contaminated with wheat, not barley! The soy flour could easily have been contaminated with barley, but it doesn't seem likely to have been the culprit anymore! What gives?

Sigh. I hate dealing with this.

--Sarah
Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: